ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 29th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #1
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Water pipe came out....

I was taking my valve cover off because I'm trouble-shooting a tasty sound. I think I have confirmed the EX valves on #1 were to loose. But here is the issue.... Rather than follow the SM directions, I used the shortcut in the DIY, by leaving the radiator and hoses on. As I was finagling the valve cover off, I inadvertently pulled off the metal water pipe that comes out off the top end (the pipe that has that tab for the valve cover). I didn't know this came out...... Do I have a problem, or will shoving it back down ensure I won't have any leaks? I can't find mention of it in the SM.

THANKS!
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #2
headshrink

How do these posts get indexed by google almost immediately!? Times sure have changed.

Old April 29th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #3
headshrink

Anyone know, or should I start ordering parts?
(do I REALLY save money DIY?)

Old April 29th, 2011, 11:20 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I dunno. What nasty sound are you troubleshooting?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2011, 12:56 AM   #5
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I dunno. What nasty sound are you troubleshooting?
Nasty metalic tapping. Clearance was to much on #1 ex.

Old April 30th, 2011, 03:02 AM   #6
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Just put it back in. Should be okay...I think. Worst case is getting a new one but I dont think you have to. Can you do a YouTube video on how to adjust valve? I'm still confused with the diy.
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2011, 05:02 PM   #7
headshrink

A few related issues here......

I got it all back together, and it seems OK. I did learn why that annoying tab is on the valve cover... The pipe slips into the hole in the top of the engine, and has an O-ring near the end (similar to the shuttle boosters). The tab on the valve cover is what holds it secure in place. So when you unbolt your valve cover, the only thing holding it in is friction from the O-ring. That is why it can be pulled out so easily if you leave your cooling system intact. Unfortunately I got a bit of coolant INSIDE my engine.... now I have milky oil... nice. So I get to do an oil change tonight.

I redid my valve clearances (tighter) and the tapping is somewhat reduced, although still present. I am finding I don't get repeatable results with my feeler gauges. I have the head knowledge, but need to have someone physically show me what too tight feels like, too loose, and just right. I also noticed when I use my digi micrometer, as opposed to my digi vernier caliper, the added decimal can yield enough of a difference to give me the next shim in the equation. So, when all was said and done, I ended up with nearly the same shims I had BEFORE the last valve adjustment 1K miles ago when I loosened it too much. Technically, however, I was never out of spec at either end.... I just went from barely within spec (tight -> loose -> tight).

I did notice the beginnings of a little wear on the cam gears. I think this is due to switching to the manual CCT last service (1K ago). I was careful not to go too tight (I think), but it is a delicate balance. I stopped just at the point it stopped making noise. Online the DIYs say once you hit the point the chain noise stops, tighten another 1/4 turn and stop, but the manufacturer says the opposite.... which would basically leave you with the same noisy chain the OEM CCT gives you. 1/4 turn is a LOT of tension. Let's hope splitting the difference is the sweetspot.... but I may back it off 1/16-1/8 to be safe due to the wear.

randomwalk: I wouldn't mind doing the video at some point, but don't feel confident enough yet, with all the errors and all that I am still making. I take a stab at answering any questions though....

Anyone know how many oil changes it should take to get rid of the milk?

Old May 2nd, 2011, 02:58 PM   #8
ricochet08
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ross

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja ex500, 2010 Ninja 250r, 2004 zzr600, 2003 CBR600rr, 2013 Ninja 300...in that order :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
Just put it back in. Should be okay...I think. Worst case is getting a new one but I dont think you have to. Can you do a YouTube video on how to adjust valve? I'm still confused with the diy.
you've been waiting for a vid on this for a while haven't you?
ricochet08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2011, 07:53 PM   #9
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochet08 View Post
you've been waiting for a vid on this for a while haven't you?
Yep. I'm about to due for a valve adjustment

Old May 3rd, 2011, 07:56 PM   #10
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
A few related issues here......

randomwalk: I wouldn't mind doing the video at some point, but don't feel confident enough yet, with all the errors and all that I am still making. I take a stab at answering any questions though....
I imagine one oil change & take the oil filter out to drain all oil in there would be enough.

Btw, if you do a video, perhaps the expert like racerx can see what you do wrong too ( if any)

Old May 3rd, 2011, 10:28 PM   #11
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
I imagine one oil change & take the oil filter out to drain all oil in there would be enough.

Btw, if you do a video, perhaps the expert like racerx can see what you do wrong too ( if any)
good point.

I started seeing a noticeable, but not complete, difference on the second oil change. I've done 3, but will do 4 or 5.... depends on how much cheap oil I have left. The key was to do it when it is burning hot. Some of the slime is left under the oil cap... reminds me of arterial plaque, only not as hard. Moral of the story = don't mix oil and antifreeze.