ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 9th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #1
shiftdrift06
ninjette.org member

Name: Z

Motorcycle(s): None

Quick Question about accessories (Headlights, Horn, Taillights, etc)

Hello, I just recently purchased a bike, however, it does not run. That is not my concern at the moment, as I am gonna replace the engine soon.

However I was wondering, what accessories turn on, with the key in the "On" position with the bike NOT running.

SO far, only my turn signals work, my front and rear headlights don't work as well as my horn. Does my bike need to be running for those to work?
shiftdrift06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #2
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

That may depend on the model, but if it's one of the newer generation, the below are true:

The headlights shouldn't come on until the engine has been started. They will however, remain on once the engine has stopped if you don't turn the key to 'off'.

The horn is also downstream of the starter relay so it won't work unless the engine's on. Edit: it will, I just read the diagram wrong.

Do the tail & license plate lights work? They should whether the engine's been started or not.

Here's a link to the full wiring diagram for the new-gen
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35886

Last futzed with by Momaru; June 10th, 2010 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Correction to horn
Momaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #3
Verus Cidere

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

On a pregen, the horn and tail light should work without turning the bike on, but the headlight is the same as described by Paul. My first suggestion would be check your fuses. I won't pretend to understand how they work, but that may help. I do know that the fuse for the backlight behind the speedometer and tachometer are connected to the same fuse as the tail light, so an easy way to check that is to switch the bike on at night. If those lights aren't on when you switch the bike on, the fuse is probably blown. I don't know about the horn, but I know that both the tail light and the horn should work without starting the bike on a pregen.

Old June 9th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #4
shiftdrift06
ninjette.org member

Thank You for the reply, Momaru and Verus Cidere.

As of now, only my turn signal works right now.

I will check my fuse and report back.

Old June 9th, 2010, 07:58 PM   #5
kkim

check the rear tail light bulb... it may be blown.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2010, 01:48 PM   #6
shiftdrift06
ninjette.org member

Tested all the fuses with a testlight they were fine. I started to fiddle with the connection at the horn, and it works now.

My rear bulb was half blown, the taillight filament was gone, but the brake filament was still good.

But I notice that, only my brake pedal would light up my rear brakes, my brake lever switch might be out, or loose connection, because it doesn't light up my brake light.

And notice that my clutch switch or kick switch is funky, it would sometimes crank my engine, in almost any position....

Old June 10th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #7
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

The clutch switches are notoriously flakey. I took mine apart & cleaned it which helped me.

The 'before' shot...
DSC05091.jpg

Sorry for the bad info on the horn; should've gone out and just checked it like I meant to...