ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old March 8th, 2010, 01:39 AM   #1
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Dual headlight conversion

Here's a thought problem for the more electrically savvy forum members out there.
I'm considering a significant alteration to the headlight assembly. The end goal is to have hi/lo-beam capability on both sides (35W lobeams, 55w high) by way of a bi-xenon HID projector retrofit. I realize the retrofit will likely be prohibitively expensive, but as I said, this is primarily a thought problem at the moment.

How much modification would it take to get this to work?

The plan is to have no higher wattage draw than is stock in the system at any given time after start-up. Obviously the setup will depend on how the bulbs are wired/designed, but I'm gonna operate under the assumption that there's a separate prong/filament for the high beam and low beam with a common ground (3 prongs total vs stock 2).

After studying the electrical breakout diagram (pg 16-53 of the FSM), I can't decide if I'd need a major rewire or something simpler:

As I've tried to outline on the attached wiring diagram (original generously uploaded by jonthechron) it seems that both lights operate on the same circuit; the current system already handles the full power from both lights so splitting them while modifying the switching method (perhaps further upstream) would seem to be the trick. The stock 'hibeam' switch appears to be an SPDT with one terminal that doesn't go anywhere, essentially making it an SPST. It basically just adds the 'hi' bulb into the circuit. The trace is incomplete, but I tried to just highlight the salient points.
Ninja_250R_Wire_Dia_v1.2.jpg

I'm sure that simply splitting the power from the current high and low beam wiring wouldn't work, it seems just too simple.

To make the bi-xenons work, I *think* I'd have to set up the headlight switch as a true SPDT (or perhaps replace with an SPCO to have a true 'off' setting for the lights when starting up) alternating between low and high, as well as remove the stock low beam (left bulb's) permanent connection to the power circuit. The permanent connection would need to be removed/severed (presumably) to prevent the bulb from running both low and high filaments at the same time). In this chart the bright green is lowbeam power, red is high-beam, blue is the supply. I feel like I'd need something more (obviously the new bulbs/projectors/ballasts), but this is the extent of changes I can see as necessary at 3:39am....
Ninja_250R_Wire_Dia_v1.2 - bi-xenon.jpg

What have I missed?
Thoughts? Suggestions/improvements?
Thanks!

Old March 8th, 2010, 03:48 AM   #2
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

I'll be back to this after I study it some more when I'm awake.
I get to go apartment hopping today. Wish me luck.. Might be a long one.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2010, 05:44 AM   #3
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

A bi-xenon projector has only 1 bulb, the "high" part of the projector is a simple solenoid that activates and uses very little power. My opinion is to use the stock headlight wires to activates relays you install on a custom circuit directly on your battery along with fuses.

Xenons will uses up to a steady 7-8 amps(depending on ballast) at startup and slowly down until it warms up to only use around 2-3 amps. Use big gauge wires and don't cheap out on component! I recommend FX35 projectors, they are easy to work with and plenty of them are around. I did a bi-xenon retrofit on my car, if you have any question let me know ahah!

Old March 8th, 2010, 07:14 AM   #4
kevlar250
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): '94 Vulcan 1500, '06 Katana 600, '08 FZ1

Rayme's right, get a 12 ga. wire back to the battery and fuse it as close as you can to the terminal. I personally don't like connecting right at the battery post. I think it's cleaner and more factory looking to connect at the starter relay and wrap the new wire into the harness IMHO. Then you'll need 1 relay fired by the factory L-beam wire to power up the ballasts. You should also do a new ground to the frame for the ballasts as the factory wires are a bit thin. The factory ground wire would be fine for the relay ground though.
kevlar250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2010, 05:18 AM   #5
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Let me know if you don't have it figured out mang.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #6
kamikaze
ex-ninjette.org guru :o

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV1000 S

i know this thread is a little old, but the more I think about it, the more this makes sense.

I found some reallly small bi-xenon projectors that pending confirmation from the seller should work for a retrofit without any (or very little) cutting.

Here's how I think it would work:

Light both headlamps from the bike's lo beam socket only. there are a couple ways you could do this, but the best way would be with a relay so the factory wiring triggers it. wire both HID ballasts to the relay, so when the bike starts both lights come on. you could add a delay to one of the lights if you're worried about having both come on at once and blowing fuses, but I"m not going to cover that. Since the lo beam stays on even when the high beam is on, this is ideal as the HID's will stay on, or ignite regardless of the handlebar switch position.

Wire the projector housings solenoids to the bike's hi beam socket. again, this could be done with a relay, but I'd imagine the draw from these would be so insignificant it's probably fine to just wire them directly to the socket.

with some factory style connectors this could be done without any modification to the bike's factory wiring, and could be put back to stock without any problems whatsoever.

these are the projector housings that I'm looking at. from the specs the length looks like 5", and part of that is going to be what sticks thru the factory H7 hole, so I'd imagine that the depth on the reflector side should be around 4.5", maybe a little less.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=236

excuse the simplicity of the attached drawing, but i think it demonstrates what i'm thinking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bixenon.jpg (22.5 KB, 12 views)
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2010, 04:30 PM   #7
FerociousNINJA
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja TwoFiddy

Arrow

I'm currently researching this. there is a like to a write up on the KawiForums for the zx6.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54365

I took some HL measurements and the HID kits seem to be too long for the TwoFiddy HL enclosure (check above thread for HID lengths). Actually the the 9005/9006 may fit, still researching.
FerociousNINJA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #8
kamikaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerociousNINJA View Post
I'm currently researching this. there is a like to a write up on the KawiForums for the zx6.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54365

I took some HL measurements and the HID kits seem to be too long for the TwoFiddy HL enclosure (check above thread for HID lengths). Actually the the 9005/9006 may fit, still researching.
I don't suppose you'd have a measurement from the inside of the reflector at the bulb hole to the inside of the headlight cover? I saw a video today of some guy demoing the projector I'd linked, and he said it was about 4.5 inches from where it would sit at the reflector to the end of the projector lens. seems to me that's pretty short.

Old September 5th, 2010, 05:15 AM   #9
FerociousNINJA
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja TwoFiddy

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze View Post
I don't suppose you'd have a measurement from the inside of the reflector at the bulb hole to the inside of the headlight cover? I saw a video today of some guy demoing the projector I'd linked, and he said it was about 4.5 inches from where it would sit at the reflector to the end of the projector lens. seems to me that's pretty short.
LOW beam is aprox 9.5cm, HIGH beam is aprox 9cm. 4.5" inches (11.6cm) projector is too long. This is part of the reason I was thinking about using the 9005/9006 since they are not as long, still researching this. Don't quote me on this but I believe these are second gen HID kits (photo). Current is third gen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg projectorlensdimension.jpg (58.4 KB, 10 views)
FerociousNINJA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2010, 06:41 AM   #10
kamikaze

here's the video if you're interested.

it would really suck if these didn't fit, cause they are cheap, around $120 for a set, and they look like they work pretty good. I don't know how to embed youtube on this board, so you'll have to click the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFF2XoZJIBo

Old September 5th, 2010, 09:10 AM   #11
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze View Post
here's the video if you're interested.

it would really suck if these didn't fit, cause they are cheap, around $120 for a set, and they look like they work pretty good. I don't know how to embed youtube on this board, so you'll have to click the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFF2XoZJIBo

Link to original page on YouTube.

To embed, the HTML tag is "YouTube" and you put what's after the "=" in between the tags (ie iFF2XoZJIBo).

Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #12
kamikaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post

To embed, the HTML tag is "YouTube" and you put what's after the "=" in between the tags (ie iFF2XoZJIBo).

thanks

the other board I'm on the bbcode is simply

Old September 5th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #13
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

if you use "youtubehd" instead, it makes it larger and the highest resolution available for the video:

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote