ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 18th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #1
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

GP shift Pro's and Con's

I remember abouta year ago the GP shift setup was provided in the DIY threads. I was curious as to who has tried it and if so the Pro's for reversing the shift pattern. I checked other forums and threads and most people stated ease of shifting in corners while leaned over. Im debating on whether to set up my bike with it to give it a shot.
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #2
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): Bunch of em

If you're not racing, don't bother. Better to stick with street pattern.

Old May 18th, 2011, 03:55 PM   #3
kogary
ninjette.org member

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

GP shift is awesome for racing when you're in a situation where you're tucked as much as possible (e.g., straightaway) and suddenly you need to shift. It's so much easier to push down with your leg with your cramped into a pretzel, rather than pull up into an even more awkward position.

For street riding though, standard shift all the way.
kogary is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #4
dino74
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

I switched over to GP and love it but I didn't do it for racing. The first time someone told me how the standard shift pattern work, I thought to myself, "That seem backwards".
As I was learning to ride the 250, I had to constantly think about the which way to shift. Lots of times if I shifted without thinking, it would be in the wrong direction. So, I switched over and never looked back.
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2011, 04:18 PM   #5
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

the best part of GP shift is if someone trys to steal your bike, they will get all frustrated as they try to take off in 6th gear lol.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #6
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino74 View Post
I switched over to GP and love it but I didn't do it for racing. The first time someone told me how the standard shift pattern work, I thought to myself, "That seem backwards".
As I was learning to ride the 250, I had to constantly think about the which way to shift. Lots of times if I shifted without thinking, it would be in the wrong direction. So, I switched over and never looked back.
I felt the same way to be honest. I even messed up a few times when learning because it seemed backwards. Either way, I left it stock so that if I ever get a chance to ride another bike, it won't be a big problem for me.

I'm getting my sportisi rear sets soon though and might give it a shot :P
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote