ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old December 27th, 2011, 11:06 AM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Fitness peeps

Well I figured I'd start a fitness thread. That way maybe some good ideas could be tossed around regarding training.

Right now I want to get into biking more seriously. I have the bug (I've had it for a while now) to really become a competitive racer. I love riding my mountain bike and there are some good races near by. I considered road racing, but there are a lot of team tactics involved and I don't have a team, so I have to do either cyclo-cross or mountain biking. The thing is I am not using top of the line equipment (nor do I want to put a lot of funds to obtain it). So I have to rely on my ability to find good lines, muscle power and determination to get me to the front of the pack.

Last year I took off and had an "off" day in a race. I finished 45 out of 54. Not only was I not fully warmed up for this sprint race, I had a flat 2-miles into the 14-mile race. That made me lose an easy 5-minutes and several places. I did push hard to finish. I got caught behind some slower groups who severely slowed me down. They held me up quite a bit because they didn't offer me room to pass (more like you can pass when you muscle your way by). It was rather bad form, but then again, some of the people don't race every day, so I didn't mind.

Anyway, I finished a solid 30-min after the age group winner. I want to be a better cyclist, so I have to ramp up my training. Right now I may get in 1 good quality ride a week. I plan on ramping that up to at least 2 good rides a week. I'll have to work hard to find the time for the rides, but I want to squeeze them in. I also want to work on cross training. I'm thinking 1-2 days where I run. I know running can really increase your endurance and lung capacity.

I want to get into better shape than I was when I was a kid. That isn't impossible with my schedule. I work 4 days, off 3, then work 3, off 4. 7-days every 2-weeks isn't bad. So I should have plenty of time to get some good workouts in. I just need a routine where "do this now, this tomorrow", etc. I like having a plan where I know I'll be doing a ride on this day in the morning. You know, just to have some structure to the training.

I was thinking, running on my work days and riding on my off days. Of course if bad weather came up, I'd have to mix it up. I do have a treadmill and a cycling trainer, so I could train indoors if required. I just really want to get lean again (currently hovering at 168lbs, I was 185 3-months ago). I'm hoping with some good training to get to 160, though weight doesn't matter. I'm more concerned with my overall fitness and my ability to fly down a trail. Of course I am rather fit right now, I just want to be even more fit. Call me what you want, but I always feel there is room for improvement. However, I don't get on myself hard for not being where I want to be.

So, anyway, does 2-days running and 2-days riding every week sound like a good starting point? I don't want to focus on distances. I figured that will work itself out in time. I know what a "good" ride for me is on the bike. I still need to figure out the running part (yes, I am aware that I have a ton of hobbies and I really need to choose only 1 or 2).

Any ideas?

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2011, 12:42 AM   #2
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2003 Honda CBR600RR

Wow, nice to see an avid bicyclist! It's been years since I've seriously ridden and I do miss it dearly.

As far as your work out schedule is concerned, personally I wouldn't do a 50/50 split with running and bicycling. Bicycling obviously is your major sport, therefor I believe bicycling would be your major work out. This isn't to say that running won't help and that you shouldn't run at all, I'm simply saying that the 50/50 ratio may be extreme on the running side. Perhaps something more on the 75/25 or 67/33 (bicycling/running respectively) side would be more beneficial. Also, squat work outs are a must! Developing these muscles may not help immensely with endurance as the running and biking might, but they will work wonders for those stretches where explosiveness is needed to pass up those bikers or whip up and over the top of a hill to get some extra downhill speed to pass up the others giving you that extra edge when racing. If you have the luxury of getting to a higher altitude to train, I also highly recommend that as well. Your body will get used to producing power with limited oxygen so when you race at a lower altitude your blood cells and consequently your muscles will be flooded with extra oxygen giving you more power and greater endurance. Seeing as you bike a lot, I'm assuming you already know most of these things but may be looking for that little reinforcement factor from hearing it from someone else which I'm more than happy to provide!

You are solely a mountain biker? I'm not too sure, your description of a "pack" made me think you also may road race, but that's just because imagining a "pack" on a tiny dirt trail doesn't really display as much of a "pack" in my mind at all, more like a line of obstacles haha!

What kind of bike and parts do you have? And if I may ask... What kind of budget for parts do you have? I used to be a heavy Shimano rider (still am to this day) on my GT-iDrive 5 3.0. Shimano's XTR and even Deore XT may be expensive, but are amazing quality parts. I personally run Deore LX parts on my bike, and they too work amazingly well as long as you are willing to put in the time to tune them yourself. These are a bit more cost friendly for the tight budgeted extreme cyclist. Going back to their website though http://bike.shimano.com/# it appears that the Deore LX line up has been replaced with Deore SLX parts since I rode. Also do you use clip-in's? That's one thing I never got into since I ride on the streets all the time and they're a safety hazard in the event of a crash (at least, I think so). However, for the purpose of racing they may be a great option to explore since you can then pull up instead of push down to help rest up a little bit.

I have absolutely no road racing experience on bicycles. I've always been too afraid to get into those ultra light weight bikes since I'm so rough on mine. I love going off road and jumping on and off of curbs and stuff, I just was never sure if a road bike would be as much fun since I'd be so careful with the abuse that I put it through.

EDIT: Man... You just gave me the bug again... It's been like 4 or 5 years since I've really been out on the bike hard. Bringing her back into my garage and wiping the dust off. Going to tune her up and have her running again good as new by tomorrow. Lol thanks a lot for spreading the disease back around...

Last futzed with by Scattcatt; December 28th, 2011 at 10:35 AM.
Scattcatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #3
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I'm more than happy to spread the love! LOL

My HiFi has SRAM X7's on it. More than enough for what I do. I won't change parts until something breaks or stops working properly. I always use the question "Is it the Indian, the bow, or the arrow?" Normally the problem isn't the tools used, it is the Indian. So I know that the biggest improvement lies within me, not with the tools I use.

I started off doing a lot of road riding training for the BP MS150 a few years back. So that is where I spent most of my time, but now I have the HiFi, I love riding on trails again. The trails have so many roots near me that my hardtail was beating me up. The HiFi's full suspension makes a world of difference.

My road bike is a 3-year old Trek 1.5, still works great and I have no desire to change my platform or parts.

Old December 28th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #4
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

I've never ridden on anything other than full suspension bikes in my experience. These make amazing trail bikes and are quite possibly the sickest beasts around for downhill riding in my personal opinion (provided you have a long wheel base... of course.... lol...) The full suspension typically comes at the cost of sapping power per leg stroke though unless you get a bike where the suspension isn't part of the bike frame (talking about the rear suspension primarily). In your last race did you use the hard tail or the full suspension bike?

Also, very true regarding the Indian scenario, however, given the chance to hunt with a rock, bow, or gun, I'd choose the gun in all respect I agree with you. The majority of the performance of a rider is dependent on his/her skill level and effort, but I also believe that quality parts play a pretty heavy role as well. I couldn't tell you how many times I've wrecked when I started due to low quality parts slipping lol

Last futzed with by Scattcatt; December 28th, 2011 at 01:37 PM.
Scattcatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2011, 01:15 PM   #5
kyrider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bobbert

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

Just remember the body is just like a car it only has so many miles.
kyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #6
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrider View Post
Just remember the body is just like a car it only has so many miles.
Unlike a car though, putting miles on the body is good for it and can actually PREVENT abnormal wear and tear when done correctly

Old December 28th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #7
kyrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattcatt View Post
Unlike a car though, putting miles on the body is good for it and can actually PREVENT abnormal wear and tear when done correctly

Listen dude if that's what you wanna tell your self then more power to ya.

Old December 28th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #8
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Listen dude if that's what you wanna tell your self then more power to ya.
Have you got something against exercise lol?

Old December 28th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #9
kyrider

Quote:
Have you got something against exercise lol?

Read and learn...

http://www.secretstodefeatingdisease...ie-every-year/

"The average couch potato in America lives to be 75.5, the average athlete, depending on the sport and the level of competence, lives to be 62 to 68."

Old December 28th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #10
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

An interesting read no doubt, however it looks like the primary focus of this article is toward professional athletes and not the general population out to just be fit. I also don't agree with including cancer deaths for either side of the coin, cancer is too unpredictable and can happen from a myriad of circumstances that fitness levels cannot explain. Perhaps my biggest issue with the article is the validity of the claim in and of itself. There are far more articles out there that say exercising is good for you, you know? Could this be true and everything else be wrong? Yes. I'm not saying that it isn't. From a probability standpoint however, this is unlikely. We live in a world of bias my friend, creating an article arguing either side of this or anything is nearly impossible to do without including bias. Personally, I love to exercise. I really don't have much of a choice since I have Physical Training with Air Force multiple times a week. It's a lifestyle, much the same as all of us riding on our ninjettes (which by the way I'd be willing to bet puts us at a higher risk of serious injury or death than exercise). If exercise isn't for you then that's totally okay. Either way we can all live long, happy lives, especially with further advancements in the medical field. If this was meant as a kindness gesture on your part to inform us about the dangers of our lifestyle, well in that case thank you for your concern! I also apologize then if I've come off in an offensive manor which was never my intention.

Anyhow, back on topic. @Apex, ever heard of the company Fallbrook Technologies? They're an uprising company specializing in bicycle transmissions. Yes, TRANSMISSIONS lol, CVT's to be more exact! Take a look, perhaps not something for our style quite yet since I'm unsure of the efficiency of transferring power through a fluid would be, even if it temporarily solidifies, but have a look. It's an ingenious idea that could really take off for all cyclists in general!

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old December 28th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #11
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I'd rather live my life enjoying what I am doing than sitting around in a vegetative state and not enjoying everything the world has to offer.

Give me a break....

That is like reading (which I have read) that "There were nearly 6,420,000 auto accidents in the United States in 2005. 42,636 died." So since people have died in auto accidents, we MUST NOT DRIVE OUR CARS!

A lot of exercise related deaths can be traced back to performance enhancing drug abuse, heat stroke, and exercising too much (inability to replace required vitamins/minerals, dehydration), a lot of other things. It could also be a condition a person has that he/she was not aware of. You push yourself harder and harder non-stop (which many top athletes do), then yeah, things can happen. Show me a non-skewed study that says exercising 4-times a week will 100%, without a doubt, make you die early.

For example, out of your link: "Anyone who knows who Dr Kenneth Cooper is will know what I’m talking about. This guy was adamant that the way to good health and a long life preached that “You Need To Exercise Vigorously To Maintain Health and achieve Longevity.” Well, he’s changed his mind about that one because he’s now saying “too much exercise of any kind is dangerous and potentially life-threatening.” "
So that means too much of something is bad for you? Really? If a person is not aware of this they are rather clueless. Doritos are rather tasty, but if I ONLY eat Doritos as my diet, then yes, something bad will happen...and I WILL DIE EARLY. Amazing how that works. In the end, there are just too many variables that say exercise alone is what gets people do die. It may be part of it, but I doubt it is everything. Like in the article, you need your vitamins/minerals. Starve your body of those, even while not exercising, bad things can result.

Even the author said he exercises to this day. Yeah he doesn't run anymore, but he hikes, that is exercise. Then again, the article is not geared to the general public.

I'm not trying to attack you, I just really don't like it when people read an article and instantly think they know everything and have all the answers. I know I don't know everything, and all that I have typed is strictly opinion. Nobody can be 100% certain about anything. Truth is that many people don't watch what they eat and they enjoy certain foods that are not really good for you, so exercise keeps problems at bay. If I exercise 3-4x a week, I'm giving my body plenty of time to rehydrate, gather vitamins and minerals.

I've see what happens to people who never exercise and eat what they want. I started trending in that direction until I got fed up. I was 185, and with just changing my lifestyle a little bit and working out (which I enjoy, but I don't push myself all that hard), I've lost over 15lbs. Does that mean I am a competitive athlete? Nope, just means I'm doing what I enjoy.

Re-read the article. He isn't saying exercise is bad, he is saying nutritional deficiencies are bad. I always thought that was more common sense than anything...

Old December 28th, 2011, 02:52 PM   #12
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Anyhow, back on topic. @Apex, ever heard of the company Fallbrook Technologies? They're an uprising company specializing in bicycle transmissions. Yes, TRANSMISSIONS lol, CVT's to be more exact! Take a look, perhaps not something for our style quite yet since I'm unsure of the efficiency of transferring power through a fluid would be, even if it temporarily solidifies, but have a look. It's an ingenious idea that could really take off for all cyclists in general!

Link to original page on YouTube.

That is pretty dang cool. My wife would love that. Something like that would also make the drivetrain more robust. Very little chain stretch due to the chain not tilting left/right, plus you can use a thicker chain which reduces the chances for chain breakage.

Old December 28th, 2011, 02:53 PM   #13
kyrider

Quote:
An interesting read no doubt, however it looks like the primary focus of this article is toward professional athletes and not the general population out to just be fit. I also don't agree with including cancer deaths for either side of the coin, cancer is too unpredictable and can happen from a myriad of circumstances that fitness levels cannot explain. Perhaps my biggest issue with the article is the validity of the claim in and of itself. There are far more articles out there that say exercising is good for you, you know? Could this be true and everything else be wrong? Yes. I'm not saying that it isn't. From a probability standpoint however, this is unlikely. We live in a world of bias my friend, creating an article arguing either side of this or anything is nearly impossible to do without including bias. Personally, I love to exercise. I really don't have much of a choice since I have Physical Training with Air Force multiple times a week. It's a lifestyle, much the same as all of us riding on our ninjettes (which by the way I'd be willing to bet puts us at a higher risk of serious injury or death than exercise). If exercise isn't for you then that's totally okay. Either way we can all live long, happy lives, especially with further advancements in the medical field. If this was meant as a kindness gesture on your part to inform us about the dangers of our lifestyle, well in that case thank you for your concern! I also apologize then if I've come off in an offensive manor which was never my intention.
No problem with working out and playing a lil ball here and there it is just don't rack up the miles. Our ancestors were pretty laid back except when getting food and sex. We laid around a lot much like upper primates do now. Slept a lot but took in much less calories.

Chimps sleep 12 hours a day with naps and Gorillas will stay asleep from about 6 o’clock in the evening to 6 o’clock in the morning, and will sometimes build nests for a midday nap. Sometimes when it’s rainy and dreary, these animals will prefer to sleep in a bit.

We humans do not sleep enough. We eat to much.

I suggest we eat less, sleep more and avoid vigorous exercise routines. This three or four times a week for an hour at a time with accelerated heart rate is B.S!

But what would I know, I am just a fat ass simpleton.

Old December 28th, 2011, 03:00 PM   #14
kyrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
I'd rather live my life enjoying what I am doing than sitting around in a vegetative state and not enjoying everything the world has to offer.

The world has these to offer.

Old December 28th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #15
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

I don't know about you, but I don't get nearly as much satisfaction stuffing my face full of sweets and junk food compared to coming back from a wicked ride tearing up a mountain side.

Old December 29th, 2011, 12:01 AM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
I don't know about you, but I don't get nearly as much satisfaction stuffing my face full of sweets and junk food compared to coming back from a wicked ride tearing up a mountain side.
How are those mutually exclusive?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2011, 12:26 AM   #17
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
How are those mutually exclusive?
Lol for me they are. Man... I can't even imagine trying to rock out mountain biking on Twinkies... I'd lose my stomach so fast haha.

Old December 30th, 2011, 12:02 AM   #18
MustangGuy
ninjette.org member

Name: Roy

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 650

+1 for fitness - any exercise is better than none at all! I'm very busy - two jobs and too many hobbies to count - well, a slight exaggeration but not much! I go through cycles where sometimes I have great workouts on a regular basis and other times, I slack off because of other things going on in my life. I never have as much time to devote to exercise as I want, but I definitely feel better physically and mentally when I'm spending more time at the gym. Of course, riding is the next best thing, right? I wouldn't worry about life expectancy much... in the end, those twinkies will outlive all of us!
MustangGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2011, 05:42 AM   #19
kyrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangguy View Post
i wouldn't worry about life expectancy much... In the end, those twinkies will outlive all of us!
word!

Old January 1st, 2012, 06:19 AM   #20
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
I think I would avoid making any life-altering decisions based on an article written by a guy who can't use apostrophes or homophones correctly or write well-organized sentences.

"EXERCISE KILL’S MORE PEOPLE THAN DRUNKEN DRIVERS." Should be kills.

"Then their was this guy, Dr. Michael P. Artise, 38 years old, was also a runner..." Should be there.

"And why is it that athletes don’t fare as well as the couch potato is simply because athletes sweat more in 5 years than couch potatoes do in 75 years." Just awkward.

I could continue pointing out the stupidity that lies in this article full of "unsited" statistics. Exercise is good for you. Don't let a stupid article make you believe that it's not.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2012, 10:18 PM   #21
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Here is the workout schedule that's been most successful for me.

Old January 1st, 2012, 10:39 PM   #22
Heed

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

Quote:
The world has these to offer.
Those are nice

The problem I have with them, though, is that if I eat one, you know I'm eating the whole box or as many I can get my hands on. Plus you (at least I do) physically feel like sh*t after doing that.

I just need to surround myself with the right food and not overeat. I already get a small amount of exercise at my job. I'm not really a fan of bicycles, but if I had my own pool, I'd probably swim a lot. Swimming is a badass exercise. I like resistance.

Old January 2nd, 2012, 08:40 AM   #23
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I used to be a really good swimmer, but then I got a job, and since I have rarely had time to go to a pool. I did a sprint triathlon and came out of the water mid-pack. So I'm guessing I'm not all that bad of a swimmer. I suck at running though.

I did one triathlon, I may do another. Not sure yet. I'm too into cycling, not to mention that I don't want to devote a ton of time to training. We cannot forget how gear intensive triathlons are. Cycling requires a ton of gear alone, but also throwing in swimming gear, wetsuits, just is a lot of $$$$. Too bad my scuba suit wouldn't work for swimming. I just feel that family and friends come first, so I'll stick with cycling/running. Those are easy enough to do and don't require a gym membership to pursue, or a ton of time to do brick workouts.

Ahh, and twinkies. I get sick to my stomach just thinking about them. On occasion I'll eat a swiss roll as a dessert, but that is about it. The only time I really eat true desserts is if it is my anniversary, my birthday, Thanksgiving or Christmas. If it is any other time, a swiss roll is about as far as I go. 300 calories is a lot for a little tiny pack of sweets.

I will only eat a candy bar if I am about to bonk during a ride or if I am starving and there is nothing else available (which seldom ever happens). I used to love sweets when I was young, but now I can live without them...without temptation.

Old January 2nd, 2012, 09:31 AM   #24
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

I need to be more fit, Im such a fat ass.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2012, 09:33 AM   #25
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
I suggest we eat less, sleep more and avoid vigorous exercise routines. This three or four times a week for an hour at a time with accelerated heart rate is B.S!

But what would I know, I am just a fat ass simpleton.
I've been a distance runner my whole life (competatively since I was 12). Every so often I run into a kyrider type. They don't want to exercise, which is okay with me, but they're also "type-A, in charge, tell everyone else how to live" people so they need to pontificate about how nobody should exercise.

They love to talk in terms of "wearing out" your body, saying things like "Just remember the body is just like a car it only has so many miles" as kyrider said earlier in this thread. They want to suggest that you've only got so many heartbeats in your life.

To that line of reasoning I always say, "Okay, let's do some math!"

(for the purpose of being very fair to the non-exercisers all of my estimates are tilted in their favor. For example, I use 48 beats per minute as my resting heartrate but the truth is that during the 8 hours I sleep at night my heartrate goes into the low 40s or high 30s.)

Here we go with the fun math!

I exercise (run) almost every day of the week, for about an hour. So thats 60 minutes at about 160 heartbeats per minute for a 1-hour total of 9,600 beats.

So that's 6 days a week with an hour that includes 9,600 beats. The rest of the week, the other 23 hours, my highly-trained cardiovascular system maintains a resting heartbeat of around 48 beats per minute. So 23 hours at 48 beats per minute equals 66,240 heartbeats.

Adding it all up: My one-hour of running 9,600 beats + the other 23 hours of the day at 48 beats per minute (totalling 66,240 beats) equals 75,840 heartbeats in an average day.

Now let's look at kyrider the non-exerciser's numbers

He never raises his heart rate so it's the same all the time and if you Google "resting heartrate" you'll find that the average male has a resting heartrate of 60-100 beats per minute. When I get into these comparison math contests with a non-exerciser I usually find that his resting heartrate is around 70 to 75 beats per minute so we'll be generous here and say kyrider's resting heartrate is 70 beats per minute.

So 70 beats a minute, every minute for the entire 24 hours of a day equals 100,800 beats.

This means my heart is beating 24,960 times less per day than kyrider's heart. And he says the human body only has so many miles on it and he's real smart.

Over an entire year my total is 9,110,400 beats less than kyrider.

I'm going out for a run now.

Posting this has put me behind schedule for the day. I have to get this run in, then do some other stuff before I push the thottles up on the 737 (bumper sticker: "my other car has 48,000 pounds of thrust"). I fly from Manchester NH to Chicago Midway then to Oakland CA tonight.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2012, 12:29 PM   #26
kyrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post

Now let's look at kyrider the non-exerciser's numbers

He never raises his heart rate
I raise my heart rate every at least once a night for two or three minutes. Sometimes on the weekend more than that.

And you are right about me being a type A personality. Type A BullSh*tter my friends say.

Old January 2nd, 2012, 12:33 PM   #27
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
I raise my heart rate every at least once a night for two or three minutes. Sometimes on the weekend more than that.

And you are right about me being a type A personality. Type A BullSh*tter my friends say.
im about 30 seconds.

Wait what were you talking about?

Old January 2nd, 2012, 12:37 PM   #28
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

And if you want to talk about health stuff. Remember running is going to be hard on your body. Running is hard on your joints. Cycling is a better option as its light impact and less stressful on your body. That being said running isnt really bad, but you do have an odometer and if you are a long distance runner, your odometer will be higher than someone who rides a bike for exercise and or runs shorter distances.

I dont have a bike, so i need to start running again.. lol

Old January 2nd, 2012, 12:38 PM   #29
kyrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
im about 30 seconds.
You have to work you way up from there. 30 seconds is a good start.

Old January 2nd, 2012, 12:44 PM   #30
kyrider

Quote:
And if you want to talk about health stuff. Remember running is going to be hard on your body. Running is hard on your joints. Cycling is a better option as its light impact and less stressful on your body. That being said running isnt really bad, but you do have an odometer and if you are a long distance runner, your odometer will be higher than someone who rides a bike for exercise and or runs shorter distances.

In my early twenties I was running 10 miles three times a week until I got severe shin splints. As someone who played sports most of my life I don't think I had hurt that much before. I never got shin splints running sprints but long distance on pavement did me in.

I have a stepper and believe in running sprints for muscle mass and cardio health.

Old January 2nd, 2012, 12:59 PM   #31
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

steppers and eliptical machines are good as well. Shin splints are another common negative effect of running as you know... lol

Old January 2nd, 2012, 01:13 PM   #32
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:

The truth is that studies have proven that running doesn't destroy knee cartilage. In fact the movement and impact of running and walking causes the knee joint to produce more of the sinovial fluid that lubricates and protects the joint.

I know the common response to that fact is, "If that's true then why is it you hear people telling (anecdotal) stories about how they tried running and their knees fell apart?"

A lot of adults (especially men) who try to start running in their 20s or 30s when they realize that their metabolism isn't going to automatically keep them lean and hard-bodied forever are the same guys who have already damaged their knees playing contact sports and doing other "extreme" sports/activities.

The problem with cartilage is that once it's damaged (torn, severely compressed, partial separation from the bone) it will continue to deteriorate over the remainder of your lifetime and it doesn't matter whether you stay active or become sedentary. That's part of the reason why sedentary (fat) adults actually have just as many knee problems over the course of their lives as active people do.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2012, 01:35 PM   #33
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

for sure, and im not advocating a sedentary lifestyle. Im simply saying running is harder on your body than bicycling.

Old January 2nd, 2012, 05:31 PM   #34
CynicalC

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
They love to talk in terms of "wearing out" your body, saying things like "Just remember the body is just like a car it only has so many miles" as kyrider said earlier in this thread. They want to suggest that you've only got so many heartbeats in your life.
And to that I say, what happens to a car if you let it sit for a couple years without running or any maintenance? Good luck getting it out of the driveway when you need it the most.

Old January 2nd, 2012, 07:01 PM   #35
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
And to that I say, what happens to a car if you let it sit for a couple years without running or any maintenance? Good luck getting it out of the driveway when you need it the most.
hahaha!!! thats a good point!!

I just ran 1.5 miles because you all inspired me. Keep in mind Im seriously out of shape. So that was pretty good for me. lol

Old January 2nd, 2012, 07:40 PM   #36
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Quote:

I just ran 1.5 miles because you all inspired me. Keep in mind Im seriously out of shape. So that was pretty good for me. lol
Mile and a half is excellent to start with! Think of it, that's what my Physical Fitness Assessment for the Air Force is for running! Definitely not bad at all! If you're really into it, you can even set up interval work outs an such, to get a broad range of running types. Incorporate more of them and your running time will drop like a rock! (Funny, "dropping like a rock" is a good thing in this case ) Glad to read that though! Honestly makes me really happy to see someone taking steps! I'd imagine that's partly what @Apex was looking for when he created this thread!

Old January 2nd, 2012, 08:18 PM   #37
CynicalC

Quote:

That's seriously awesome. You're not as out of shape as you think. Most people couldn't run a mile to save their life. I've never been a distance runner, always a sprinter. But of course I could always run a mile or two no problem when I was a kid. When I first started at the gym last year I couldn't even jog a half a mile without feeling ready to puke. Now I can run 2-2.5 miles at a pretty good pace before my heart gives out lol. So I think I've made pretty good progress on that front. Now I have other goals.

Old January 2nd, 2012, 08:24 PM   #38
kyrider

I just played 5 rounds of tennis on my Wii!

Old January 2nd, 2012, 08:38 PM   #39
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

I did stop twice because I was running errands so I stopped at the ATM then stopped at rite aid to pick up my crazy pills. lulz.

But thanks for the encouragement guys. I need to start doing this at least every other day if not everyday.

Old January 2nd, 2012, 09:58 PM   #40
kyrider

Quote:
I did stop twice because I was running errands so I stopped at the ATM then stopped at rite aid to pick up my crazy pills. lulz.

But thanks for the encouragement guys. I need to start doing this at least every other day if not everyday.

If I was there I would run with you while listening to my favorite right wing conservative talk show hosts on my Android.

You seem like a cool dude!