Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
I bet he's forgiven you by now...

You should look him up. Tell him you want him to teach you how to ride a dirt bike. I think you'd have fun - as long as he doesn't have a 2-stroke 250 or 450 MX bike or something like that.

Guys are suckers when they think they are "experts".
He had agreed to teach me how to ride a Yamaha BW80 he was going to buy before he got pissed at me. It's not that easy, lol. I'm literally being ignored. Complicated situation in which I made the choice to say something that needed to be said but I was the only one willing to say it, but I said it because I care, and it pissed him off to the point where any attempt to talk to him has been ignored. I know he's most likely been filled in on me finally getting my bike because I bought it from his friend that he gave his spare bedroom to for the moment, and because of a few other weird things that happened since then but he won't actually talk to me. so, out of luck on the dirt bikes for now....

"To ensure you're giving your very best, blind yourself of all negativity, relax your mind, put inhibition to rest and drive hard toward your goals like it's the last thing on earth." - csmith12
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2018, 03:28 PM   #122
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Don't need formal dirt track. I learned at 14 in friend's backyard similar to this. Don't even need dirt-bike!!!

Link to original page on YouTube.

DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2018, 03:54 PM   #123
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Don't need formal dirt track. I learned at 14 in friend's backyard similar to this. Don't even need dirt-bike!!!
Not sure about a 400# Ninja 500 on the dirt, but I also got my first motorcycle experience on a KE100 enduro in a backyard. Before that I rode a minibike around my Grandmothers yard. Neither one was "out in the country".
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2018, 04:37 PM   #124
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
yeah, i don't have access to anyone's backyard, or mini bikes/dirt bikes. it's all good, maybe one day I'll have a shot on one

"To ensure you're giving your very best, blind yourself of all negativity, relax your mind, put inhibition to rest and drive hard toward your goals like it's the last thing on earth." - csmith12

Old June 27th, 2018, 06:45 PM   #125
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Plenty of private dirt. Decent amount of public dirt in southern Ohio. Very little to no legal dirt bike riding dirt in NE Ohio.

W Ohio has dirt forever, but it's usually guarded by a grouchy farmer and poorly restrained dog who's rather territorial because it's never been taught manners
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2018, 06:10 AM   #126
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
yeah, i don't have access to anyone's backyard, or mini bikes/dirt bikes. it's all good, maybe one day I'll have a shot on one
I can understand how dirt bike riding can't work out for you right now, but maybe sometime you will have the opportunity.

Let us know what you think of the course after you complete it. You should really appreciate the safe and controlled environment you will be learning in after all of the challenges you faced on your own.

Best of luck! Have fun!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 28th, 2018, 04:17 PM   #127
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
I can understand how dirt bike riding can't work out for you right now, but maybe sometime you will have the opportunity.

Let us know what you think of the course after you complete it. You should really appreciate the safe and controlled environment you will be learning in after all of the challenges you faced on your own.

Best of luck! Have fun!
thank you

Old July 19th, 2018, 12:09 PM   #128
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
No new news?

Old July 19th, 2018, 12:55 PM   #129
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
No new news?
all new news is here https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=320804

no new news on Takara. crossing fingers the rain holds off on sunday morning and my left wrist feels better so I can get reacquainted with her and get back to enjoying being on a bike.

Old August 20th, 2018, 08:08 AM   #130
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
update time

I got back from Mid Ohio around 1:30/2 this morning. I had a blast! Enjoyed getting to know csmith12 a bit, met a bunch of cool people, watched cars and bikes on the track, and most importantly, put 42 miles on Takara I also put 2 scuff marks on her, one on the frame slider and one on the exhaust I tried to do a right hand turn from a stop for the first time and lost my balance, couldn't get my foot down right to catch her and down we went.

I am super thankful @csmith12. I have more confidence on my bike, he took me at my pace, gave me a lot of freedom, and great feedback. we just went baby steps, building on each step. I rode on the autocross course (loved it, my fave practice area), the defensive driving course, and the roads around the track (dirt/gravel and paved). His parting instructions were for me to work on how long it takes me starting from a stop. Also, to get adjustable levers so I'm not having to turn/raise my wrist to get to the front brake, and rearsets so my feet are up about a half inch or so to get my knees in the right place on the bike.

I'll definitely be back to Mid O next year for an actual track day!

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old August 20th, 2018, 08:27 AM   #131
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Great to hear the weekend went well.

A big thanks to Chris for stepping up to help you!

Old August 20th, 2018, 08:59 AM   #132
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Nothing is better than a positive learning experience. And no one I've ever met is as good at it as the estimable Mr. Smith.

Well done!

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2018, 09:11 AM   #133
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
It was definitely a positive learning experience. His coaching style is perfect for me. I have not a single complaint about this weekend. I came to have fun and learn, and that's what I did.

Old August 20th, 2018, 09:45 AM   #134
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Sweet!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2018, 04:06 PM   #135
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
here's a couple screen shots from video Chris took, finally have pics/vid of me on my bike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mido1.jpg (62.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg mido2.jpg (35.8 KB, 25 views)

Old August 26th, 2018, 07:20 AM   #136
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
@csmith12 I can't thank you enough for how I'm feeling right now

I had my co worker meet me this morning at the crack of dawn, and even though it had been pouring all night and was still drizzling, I took Takara out for a ride. Thanks to you, I didn't have to push her into the street, just out of the gravel. I did the right turn from a stop just fine. One slight issue on my hill (I was in neutral ) but once I was actually in first, I got it on the first try! We went over to the mall with her following me. My from a stop time is under 5 seconds Her friend Tracy came by to watch, he's been riding harleys for years and he was saying I'm smoother off the line and to a stop then he is on his new roadking lol. I practiced quick stops, weaving, right hand turns from a stop, and just rode around the lot. They both said I've got this, I just need to get out and ride. I got home and rode into the dirt and gravel right up the side of my parking pad with no problem.

This is all thanks to you giving me your time and knowledge, and having the patience to put up with me for 2 days even though you were exhausted.

That feeling I have when I'm riding her, all my stress just melts away.

thank you, thank you, thank you, sensei smith

Old August 26th, 2018, 11:44 AM   #137
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 286, 296, 599, 799

AwDang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2018, 05:22 AM   #138
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Great to read up on your success. Keep your head clear when you re-do your class and don't get frustrated. You can pick up an unscratched stock muffler on Ebay really cheap and replace the frame sliders over the winter and she(he?) will be like new next season along with your shiney new license!
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2018, 01:28 PM   #139
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
Great to read up on your success. Keep your head clear when you re-do your class and don't get frustrated. You can pick up an unscratched stock muffler on Ebay really cheap and replace the frame sliders over the winter and she(he?) will be like new next season along with your shiney new license!
I'm going to try my hardest to keep my head clear and not let things get to me this time around. I've done what I can to make sure my anxiety level is lower at this class. A coach more in tune with what I need, riding my own bike, getting ride time in on the weekends to raise my confidence level. That's been the biggest thing for me. Getting my confidence back up. On a scale of 1 to 10, I started out around 8. The BRS dropped me to zero. It was a hard blow to take. Chris got me up to around 7 or so and I just keep on working on it to get my mental state where I need to be. That seems to be my issue with the right hand turns from a stop. It's a lack of confidence. That one drop I had got in my head. I can do the turns but I go wide. A new riding buddy that I went out with on Sunday I should try them from further back, but that I also just need to commit to it and do it.

On a good note, I don't get the butterflies before I go out anymore I noticed that this weekend. I know I can ride, I know I can keep improving, and I know I'll keep having a blast doing it. I just keep reminding myself that aside from Mid O, I've really only ridden my bike 5 times now. I don't count that teeny bits I did on my street. I'm a newbie, I will make mistakes, and that's ok. I will learn from them and keep getting better as I put more miles on Takara.

the frame slider and muffler aren't bothering me. I was kind of shocked at how it didn't even bother me intitially. I looked at Chris right after it happened and was like "I don't care about the bike...." I don't remember what else I said, just that I was mad at myself, not mad about the bike being scuffed up. It's more important to me to get the rear sets and adjustable levers done before I head out your way.

Old September 24th, 2018, 02:38 PM   #140
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Keep working on it.

Know that everyone, even World Champions, go down - even when just training. Marquez and Biaggi - just to name a couple. Pro racers have crashed in the pits (Spencer and Biaggi again) - it happens.

Motorcycles are naturally unstable, and there are going to be times where that's going to get you. Don't sweat it.

I still wish we could get you on a small dirt bike somehow. Learning to control a bike on the edge (small bikes at slow speeds) really helps to gain confidence everywhere.

Old September 24th, 2018, 04:25 PM   #141
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Keep working on it.

Know that everyone, even World Champions, go down - even when just training. Marquez and Biaggi - just to name a couple. Pro racers have crashed in the pits (Spencer and Biaggi again) - it happens.

Motorcycles are naturally unstable, and there are going to be times where that's going to get you. Don't sweat it.

I still wish we could get you on a small dirt bike somehow. Learning to control a bike on the edge (small bikes at slow speeds) really helps to gain confidence everywhere.
I am most definitely a Rossi fan, but Marquez is the king of getting himself out of sticky situations. Who knows how many times he has used his skill to save himself from a crash. He does go down once in awhile though.

I've felt the bike being unstable in other situations and it hasn't bothered me. On the dirt roads at Mid O I could feel the bike moving under me. Didn't bother me. On the CVNP this past Sunday I was in a curve and I felt the back tire start to wiggle under me, I noticed it, but just maintained what I was doing in that second or so and then slowly added throttle out of the curve. It didn't faze me at all. As a newb, I say to myself "did I do the right thing in that situation?" was it the best thing to do, I don't know, but I came out of it with no problem in the end. I even did my first baby wheelie on accident coming home. Was at a light on a hill behind a few cars. My buddy to the left and front of me. He went and then I did, and it must have been the right combo of throttle/back brake/clutch to do it cuz I felt her go up a foot or so then come back down. I laughed and kept going.

I'll get over the right turn from a stop thing eventually. Sooner rather than later if all goes well this weekend. I'll have to. I might try to get Takara out one more time before Saturday. It won't be easy for me with work and the fact that it's supposed to pour down rain through Wednesday.