ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Notices

Old September 19th, 2016, 08:08 AM   #41
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Congrats to new member Frank06 for breaking 200 mph on his E-Busa at Loring on September 4, 2016 -

http://www.dragbike.com/lta-electric...reaks-200-mph/

Pictures from the Spring 2016 event - https://www.flickr.com/photos/101319...80099782/page1

Last futzed with by jkv45; September 21st, 2016 at 08:34 AM. Reason: added photo link
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2016, 09:06 AM   #42
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
9/19/16 - GUY MARTIN CRASHES DURING LAND SPEED RECORD BID

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...eed-record-bid

Old September 19th, 2016, 06:21 PM   #43
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Sorry about Guy. Glad he is OK that is sorta how it goes. They will be back and try again.

This is what land speed racing is all about. These guys are the real deal out there and I am very proud to call them my friends.

https://youtu.be/nTV-CBwNivc

Old September 20th, 2016, 06:54 PM   #44
Frank06
ninjette.org member

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): many!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Congrats to new member Frank06 for breaking 200 mph on his E-Busa at Loring on September 4, 2016 -

http://www.dragbike.com/lta-electric...reaks-200-mph/

Pictures from the event - https://www.flickr.com/photos/101319...80099782/page1
Thank you Jay for posting this; actually the pics are from the spring event. I ran my RD125 (77 mph!) at this one.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/101319...7667980099782/
Frank06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2016, 08:24 PM   #45
Burphel
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Bonneville, Ninja 300

Next evolution: Salt flats-specific traction control.

Old September 21st, 2016, 07:08 AM   #46
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank06 View Post
Thank you Jay for posting this; actually the pics are from the spring event. I ran my RD125 (77 mph!) at this one.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/101319...7667980099782/
Thanks for the correction Frank.

Man that looks like fun! It's on my list...

Old September 21st, 2016, 07:54 AM   #47
Frank06
ninjette.org member

I really enjoy it. Great people, lots of innovation, fun machines. Well worth making an effort to attend an event somewhere IMHO. I'm lucky in that one of the best venues in the country is only a couple of hundred miles from my town.

Old September 21st, 2016, 09:07 AM   #48
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Latest from Triumph at Bonneville (9/21/16) -

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2016/09/2...-speed-record/

Old September 21st, 2016, 05:50 PM   #49
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Quote:
I really enjoy it. Great people, lots of innovation, fun machines. Well worth making an effort to attend an event somewhere IMHO. I'm lucky in that one of the best venues in the country is only a couple of hundred miles from my town.
Can you make it to the Ohio mile?
I won't be there in Sept . But next season I will be ready to rock and roll for sure. I have two bikes ,four engines and can run modified 350-4 gas and 250-4 modified partial streamliner fuel. With nitrous.

It would be great to meet you.

Old September 21st, 2016, 05:59 PM   #50
Frank06
ninjette.org member

I can't make it this year, can only hope it's still around next year. I spectated for the inaugural event (and actually helped tech bikes) but haven't been back since. It's quite a haul from here but possibly doable.

I would enjoy meeting you and seeing your bikes. My roots were in smaller machines and I'm slowly working my way back. OK, I'm lying, I like 'em all!

Old September 21st, 2016, 09:15 PM   #51
Burphel
ninjette.org member

So dumb question: Aside from the history and tradition, why is Bonneville still kinda the gold standard for LSR if the salt's going to hell and is a pain to run on in the first place? I'd think even if it's expensive, a 10 mile by 4-6lane sheet of straight/level asphalt out in some southwestern state (say, near Las Vegas) with the tumbleweeds cleared on either side for runoff wouldn't be outside the of the realm of possiblility. I'd think it'd give a more predictable surface, safety, and the bonus of not having salt getting everywhere.

Old September 22nd, 2016, 03:54 AM   #52
Frank06
ninjette.org member

I sometimes wonder myself, but after going to BMST this year I have a better understanding of some of the challenges of running on salt. (I wasn't racing but crewed for a friend who runs an electric streamliner.) It *is* a difficult environment and I think that's part of the attraction (freakin' salt gets everywhere!). Also, although I don't think the run-up was as long this year as it's been in the past (International Course) the distance gives more of a chance to determine true top speed. Run-up is less of an issue on pavement if you're power limited, but for the truly high power machinery, getting the power down and accelerating on an unprepared course is a different sort of challenge.

Old September 22nd, 2016, 05:09 AM   #53
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Once you go there you will understand.

First of all it's the history. You can run your bike at the same location as people have run for 100 years. It is like getting a chance to fight Mohamed Ali or Bruce Lee. At there prime and test your metal.
It is also more difficult to set a record there. You have to run at speed for the entire measured mile. Your speed is determined by the time it takes to travel a mile. Then you turn around and do it again. The two runs are averaged and that is your speed. No other place is that difficult.
Then there is the salt. Yes it is damaged but they made a good track this year. And it is amazing. For a small power machine it is perfect. Hard as asphalt( you can drive a screw in to it ) it can handle 100 hp befor spinning the wheels.

Next is safety. You can go very fast and there is nothing to hit. It is safe for racing and spectators.

It is also an unbelievable magic place like no other on earth. Just the vastness and wounder of the place is inspiring. Add hundreds of people and increadable machines and it becomes a total experience.

Then there are the people. What can you say about the people? Just an example. A guy works a year to build a bike to set a record. He crashes on day one. Rather than cry or go home. He pulled the engine out of his bike and lent it to a competitor he just met the day before. Just so the guy could break his own record. People at Bonneville will do anything to help you go faster. The volunteers and organizers are standing in the sun for hours working tirelessly for months. All for no money even spending there own money. All so you can ride your junk down the track. All so your dreams can come true.
That is Bonneville.

Old September 22nd, 2016, 06:02 AM   #54
Frank06
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
Once you go there you will understand.

First of all it's the history. You can run your bike at the same location as people have run for 100 years. It is like getting a chance to fight Mohamed Ali or Bruce Lee. At there prime and test your metal.
It is also more difficult to set a record there. You have to run at speed for the entire measured mile. Your speed is determined by the time it takes to travel a mile. Then you turn around and do it again. The two runs are averaged and that is your speed. No other place is that difficult.
Then there is the salt. Yes it is damaged but they made a good track this year. And it is amazing. For a small power machine it is perfect. Hard as asphalt( you can drive a screw in to it ) it can handle 100 hp befor spinning the wheels.

Next is safety. You can go very fast and there is nothing to hit. It is safe for racing and spectators.

It is also an unbelievable magic place like no other on earth. Just the vastness and wounder of the place is inspiring. Add hundreds of people and increadable machines and it becomes a total experience.

Then there are the people. What can you say about the people? Just an example. A guy works a year to build a bike to set a record. He crashes on day one. Rather than cry or go home. He pulled the engine out of his bike and lent it to a competitor he just met the day before. Just so the guy could break his own record. People at Bonneville will do anything to help you go faster. The volunteers and organizers are standing in the sun for hours working tirelessly for months. All for no money even spending there own money. All so you can ride your junk down the track. All so your dreams can come true.
That is Bonneville.
+1 I'll be back! (I hope...)

Old September 22nd, 2016, 06:44 AM   #55
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Frank, Jerry (Bigmo on the triples board) was at the Deals Gap 2-stroke meet this spring. He recently ran a couple Kawasaki 2-strokes at Bonneville, and was showing me the salt corrosion damage to the bikes. It was amazing what it does to vehicles, even with washings soon after the runs. I had no idea. He and Jim Gaal have some high speed plans for Bonneville, but Jerry had to postpone them this year because of his daughter's health problems.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2016, 06:46 AM   #56
Burphel
ninjette.org member

Like I said, I get the history and atmosphere angle. Bonneville is just below the Isle of Man on my bucket list. But judging it purely on suitability for purpose, it was the best 100 years ago, but it seems like a purpose-built track could do better now, especially if the salt is degrading. Do you wait 10 years until you can only run dirt bikes and Jeeps on it, or do you start planning Bonneville Asphalt Flats? You might have a few old-timers saying new records don't count (until they set a new record on it). But "the fastest ever" is a title that works best if you don't try to hang qualifiers on it.

Old September 22nd, 2016, 07:00 AM   #57
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Doesn't the weather constantly change the salt surface? I thought it was more like evolution of the surface, rather than steady degradation.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2016, 07:37 AM   #58
Frank06
ninjette.org member

Jim, I didn't know about Bigmo, will check it out. I'm bringing my H2 to Loring next spring. Not as long a runup but still very exciting.

Re the degradation, there's lots of theories, but the area has been mined for years for potash and not all the salt has been returned from this process. I believe the weather does play a big part, some old-timers told me it's sometimes best right after a small rainfall because the moisture changes the surface, improving traction. ?

(edit): I've seen bikes at Loring after they've been totally disassembled, cleaned, etc. still give problems due to accelerated corrosion. Connectors seem to be prone to issues...

Old September 22nd, 2016, 07:57 AM   #59
Frank06
ninjette.org member

FWIW, I took this shot a couple of miles into the shutdown area on the International Course, end of August.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old September 22nd, 2016, 08:06 AM   #60
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burphel View Post
Like I said, I get the history and atmosphere angle. Bonneville is just below the Isle of Man on my bucket list. But judging it purely on suitability for purpose, it was the best 100 years ago, but it seems like a purpose-built track could do better now, especially if the salt is degrading. Do you wait 10 years until you can only run dirt bikes and Jeeps on it, or do you start planning Bonneville Asphalt Flats? You might have a few old-timers saying new records don't count (until they set a new record on it). But "the fastest ever" is a title that works best if you don't try to hang qualifiers on it.
I have given this a lot of thought. This is my plan.

Step one Win a zillion dollars in the lotto.
Then buy a giant piece of property in Kansas or somplace like east Colorado. Somthing dead flat not to high in altitude and somplace that has good weather. Maybe west Texas I don't know? OK. So so now I own 100 acres of flat land and a zillion dollars.

Build a land speed racing community. Build a giant lake for boat drag racing. They are special lakes just for this somplace.
Then put buildings around it with a golf corse and restaurants. A big giant park like setting around the lake so people could come and stay in the hotels and eat and relax.
Around that there could be a large buildings with a dyno area. Automobile dynos and motorcycle dynos.

Build an airport for shipping and bring in manufacturing so there is a machine shop area built in. Also a wind tunnel. All surrounding the drag boat lake. The airport would dual purpose as a 1/4 mile drag strip and one mile Land speed racing venue with a large fire station and hospital to serve the community of houses surrounding the business's .

Build in street and water and sanitation systems.

All this would be next to a huge land speed racing track. Four or five miles of pavement and a mile wide. The largest poured concreat slab ever built. You could see it from space. Solar ,wind and natural gas power the whole town. Make it super eco friendly and have schools with science and technology as a major theme.

All the residence would be a private community with a covenants on the land so some ass hole can't move in and compline about the noise . Elect a mayor and police force .

Sell the houses to pay for it. Sell tickets to events. Charge taxes and fees to use wind tunnel and dyno time. And use manufacture to sell products for speed and racing that could ship all over the world.

Unfortunitly you would also need to build a grave yard . And hire some serious lawyers for the extream liability when people get killed.

Yes It could work. Or we could all just go to Bonneville and get salt in our pants.

Old September 22nd, 2016, 01:53 PM   #61
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
A question for you guys that know Greg Neal - what is the bar sticking out the back of his Ninja 250?

Man, that guy owns the place! Unbelievable how many records he holds at Loring.

I did see that Frank06 has more than a few as well!

Old September 22nd, 2016, 03:48 PM   #62
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
In order to run in the altered class. The tail section needs to be further than three inches behind the rear tire. Simple way to change class.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 22nd, 2016, 05:26 PM   #63
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Thanks Eric - didn't know that rule existed.

So, just stopped by a local race shop that runs LSR Ducatis and was getting ready to pack-up to head out to Bonneville shortly.

Turns out conditions deteriorated and the upcoming event is cancelled. Too much rain recently for decent track conditions.

Bummer...

Old September 22nd, 2016, 05:58 PM   #64
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Yup the world finals just canceled. The LSR season is over for them.

Old September 23rd, 2016, 10:45 AM   #65
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Looks like there were a some good runs before things deteriorated -

Zlock Racing Records Two Land Speed Records At The Bonneville Salt Falts

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...le-salt-falts/

Old September 29th, 2016, 06:50 AM   #66
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
More build info on Frank06's 200 mph Street/LSR E-Busa -

http://www.landracing.com/forum/inde...c,14403.0.html

Great work Frank!

Old October 3rd, 2016, 03:10 PM   #67
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Well sad news today. The Ohio mile is no more. 2016 was the last year for the ECTA to use the runway in Wilmington Ohio. I am sure they will find another track. If your town has 10000 feet of unused runway let me know.

Old October 27th, 2016, 11:23 AM   #68
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Memorial Service for Sam Wheeler -

http://www.motorcycle.com/features/s...l-service.html

Old February 22nd, 2017, 03:12 PM   #69
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
LSR news - Valerie Thompson Becomes First 200mph Club Female Board Member

https://rideapart.com/articles/thomp...e-board-member

She's gone 300 too.

Old April 18th, 2017, 02:37 PM   #70
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Kawasaki H2 goes 229 mph at the Texas Mile -

http://www.motorcycle.com/features/r...-ninja-h2.html

Old June 8th, 2017, 01:41 PM   #71
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Top 1 Ack Attack: The Quest For 400 MPH

http://www.motorcycle.com/mini-featu...r-400-mph.html

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old June 9th, 2017, 01:19 PM   #72
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I hope that funny lookin bike gets it... I don't think I would ever want to ride one; my ride in the pro mod was plenty fast (once in a lifetime experience, unless you have the money to build or buy one anyhow)

Old August 10th, 2017, 03:52 PM   #73
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Bonneville 2017 is on -

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...-august-26-31/

- for now. Weather is always a deciding factor, so far so good.

Old August 13th, 2017, 03:55 PM   #74
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
My Buddy Danny went 435 in his car. But a rod let let go on the return run so he is going home. Don't know what is happening on the two wheeled front yet. Weather looks good so far.
I was supposed to go this year with a team on a 500 cc turbo bike but they canceled at the last minute. I am bummed about missing the salt again. But next year is already set in stone.

Old August 31st, 2017, 01:22 PM   #75
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Latest news from Bonneville 2017:

Scooter records fall -

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2017/08/3...ords-scooters/

Old October 18th, 2017, 06:38 AM   #76
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
2017 Bonneville FIM and AMA records -

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2017/10/1...cord-breakers/

I'm a sponsor and worked on components for 2 of the AMA record-setting Ducatis from Motorcycle Performance in Madison, WI -

750-A-AF; 169.426 mph; Nicholas Moore; Ducati W3

1000-APS-BG; 177.987 mph; William Whisenant; Ducati-W3

Congrats to Nick and Bill!

Jay
www.apexcustomcoating.com

Old October 18th, 2017, 08:03 AM   #77
Frank06
ninjette.org member

I was at BMST again this year crewing for KillaJoule. The salt was horrible, it was extremely hot and there was only one course. I know two riders of vintage bikes who were bounced off course because it was so rough. Anyone who set a record had to work at it.

Old October 24th, 2017, 07:41 PM   #78
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Hey everyone
So I have been away for a while.
Yesterday I got the news. We are going rackng in Arkansas. It is called the Bytheville Mile. Located at the Arkansas International Airport.
Next race is April 20-22.
I am super ready to run. I have a new van two bikes four engines ten pounds of nitrous. And nothing better to do all winter than work on the bike to get ready.
So I guess I’m back. Had to get a job working all the time and that sucks but I gotta do what I can to feed the bike.

Old October 24th, 2017, 08:32 PM   #79
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:

I was at BMST again this year crewing for KillaJoule. The salt was horrible, it was extremely hot and there was only one course. I know two riders of vintage bikes who were bounced off course because it was so rough. Anyone who set a record had to work at it.
I found this laying around. I think this event was cancelled. We have primarily Kaiser Aluminum to thank for the Flats demise.

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bonneville.jpg (71.9 KB, 1 views)

Old October 25th, 2017, 03:22 AM   #80
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
The World finals are always an iffy proposition. Late September is when the normal rains starts to fill up the lake again. The 2014 season did rain out.
I was at speed week when it canceled.

There is a lot of blame to go around. Primarily the mining company activity removed the salt. What was three feet of salt is now 3/4 inch. The polititions and the BLM allowed it to happen. The Save the salt group has been fighting for twenty years. Now the salt flats are in ruins the corse is in very bad shape. Very sad.