ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 24th, 2016, 06:31 PM   #1
skip
ninjette.org member

Name: skip

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

dead battery

My battery is apparently dead it's been sitting for a minute and is dead now what kind of charger do I use to charge it and where can I get one thanx bros
Posted via Mobile Device
skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2016, 06:33 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13

Battery Tender Jr at where ever it's the cheapest, try walmart.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 24th, 2016, 06:38 PM   #3
skip
ninjette.org member

Name: skip

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

How long do i charge it for and thank u

Quote:
Battery Tender Jr at where ever it's the cheapest, try walmart.
Posted via Mobile Device
skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2016, 09:12 PM   #4
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Battery tenders are slow but because of that you can just leave it plugged in forever without hurting the battery. When I accidentally kill my battery I bump start it and ride around for about 10 mins first to get a strong initial charge going then I toss it on the tender over night or all day at work. If your battery is totally in my experience a tend has a hard time getting that initial charge going. I've plugged in over night with no bump start before hand and still nothing the next morning.

Bump starting with a dead battery will be harder then a good battery but it will always start eventually. Longest it's taken me was 10 runs in cold weather but those first 9 probably generated enough juice to make that tenth run work.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2016, 09:35 PM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Hey skip,

Assuming a battery that can take a charge well, after about 8ish hours on the tender, it should start. And.... I always forget to specify which one to buy, you want the 2amp one. And yes, if the battery has 0% charge, a tender has a harder time getting it charged, but in my experience, it will eventually overcome it and charge it. I have waited 3 days before during the off season. But during the riding season, I just push start it or jump it off a NON RUNNING (engine off) car.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2016, 07:06 AM   #6
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

I had to purchase two new batteries recently. I have tenders for all my bikes but still seem to lose a battery every other year or so. I like the Battery Tender Jr models but I have a couple cycle gear specials that have worked just as well. They went on sale for like $15 a piece or so and grabbed a couple.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2016, 07:58 AM   #7
BernawanFR
ninjette.org member

Name: Bernawan

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R 2011

I once had a dead battery (kill switched it and forgot to turn the key to off for a night, silly me) bike didn't even start but then I took the battery out to the shop, paid like $2.5, picked it up one day after, put it back on, and it worked just like a new battery.

I know I'm not aware of the situation in states but I think it's cheaper if you take it to the shop rather than buying a charger (less money and time will be spent), or am I wrong?
BernawanFR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2016, 08:06 AM   #8
HoneyBadgerRy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Hey skip,

Assuming a battery that can take a charge well, after about 8ish hours on the tender, it should start. And.... I always forget to specify which one to buy, you want the 2amp one. And yes, if the battery has 0% charge, a tender has a harder time getting it charged, but in my experience, it will eventually overcome it and charge it. I have waited 3 days before during the off season. But during the riding season, I just push start it or jump it off a NON RUNNING (engine off) car.
I have (ok my dad has and I witnessed) charged a battery backwards with a battery tender accidentally, it tried to start the jet ski backwards, so we (he) drained the battery and charged it correctly, it actually had a decent life after that.

Old January 25th, 2016, 07:57 PM   #9
netdobeiras
ninjette.org member

Name: steven

Motorcycle(s): 2004 kawasaki ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernawanFR View Post
I once had a dead battery (kill switched it and forgot to turn the key to off for a night, silly me) bike didn't even start but then I took the battery out to the shop, paid like $2.5, picked it up one day after, put it back on, and it worked just like a new battery.

I know I'm not aware of the situation in states but I think it's cheaper if you take it to the shop rather than buying a charger (less money and time will be spent), or am I wrong?
Some autozones will charge the battery for free...... like mine
netdobeiras is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2016, 08:37 PM   #10
MBZuki
ninjette.org member

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the month

From my experience most batteries (at least factory FMBs or Yuasas) have the charge rate and duration marked on the battery.

With a carb'd machine you might get it bump-started. FI if the thing is dead dead I think you're pretty much hosed; might not be enough power to fire the injectors/ecu/etc., at least in cars I've seen that.

I have seen the BTJ around lots but I use Noco Genius chargers for the four and two wheeled machines. They make a G1100 that serves as a nice maintainer/trickler for big car/truck batteries and a suitable normal charger for the powersports stuff.
MBZuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2016, 10:11 PM   #11
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBZuki View Post
With a carb'd machine you might get it bump-started. FI if the thing is dead dead I think you're pretty much hosed; might not be enough power to fire the injectors/ecu/etc., at least in cars I've seen that.
I beg to differ. I had the same situation with my ER-6n before. The only thing is, you need to push harder. Or someone else is doing it for you while you are comfortable sitting on your bike... lol.
Abu_Mishary is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2016, 11:34 AM   #12
RickM
ninjette.org member

Name: Ricky

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX250

My ninja 250 won't run without some charge in the battery. If the battery is flat, it can't be bump started at all. Most of my other bikes will run without a good battery once it's bump or jump started.

Btw, if you have completely discharged the battery, it's safer to get a new battery and maintain it with a tender if not ridden frequently or only short trips.

Even if you manage to revive the current battery, it's going to fail without warning eventually. Small batteries like in the ninja 250 will seem to work fine one start and be completely dead next attempt when they fail. No warnings like dim lights, slow cranking etc before they completely fail. This was my experience
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2016, 12:16 PM   #13
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Small batteries like in the ninja 250 will seem to work fine one start and be completely dead next attempt when they fail. No warnings like dim lights, slow cranking etc before they completely fail.
Especially true with absorbed glass mat (AGM) "maintenance free" batteries.

Less prevalent with old-school flooded lead acid (FLA) batteries.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2016, 06:51 AM   #14
sh123469
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): EX250, Suzuki Savage, 76 Goldwing restoration project, 71 CB350, 73 Yamaha GT1,

I had an AGM that did that too. One day it started the bike great. Next day it just clicked and did nothing. Tried charging, would turn the bike over for about 3 seconds then was dead. New battery, no more problem.
sh123469 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2016, 07:26 AM   #15
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip View Post
My battery is apparently dead it's been sitting for a minute and is dead now what kind of charger do I use to charge it and where can I get one thanx bros
Posted via Mobile Device
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...47&postcount=4

Kawasaki recommends using a 1.5 Amp Automatic Charger. Battery Tender Jr. output is .750 amps. Schumacher makes a perfect charger designed for small batteries such as used on motorcycles. It can be purchased at Walmart for about $21.00

The Schumacher Model XM1-5 maintains both 6 and 12-volt batteries, keeping them at full charge using float-mode monitoring.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2016, 11:32 PM   #16
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

^^ same experience with an AGM battery. Bike was fine for a ride, and after sitting overnight -- completely dead. No lights, no clicks, nothing.

Tested with multimeter, diagnosed dead battery. Replaced and back on the road.

Failed battery wouldn't take a charge and finally took it apart (NOT RECOMMENDED) and found that a plate had shifted and caused internal failure.

Old January 31st, 2016, 11:34 PM   #17
RickM
ninjette.org member

Name: Ricky

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX250

Ah.. so it's more of an AGM battery thing. Yeah the one I experienced this on was an AGM battery.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote