ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Notices

Old November 19th, 2012, 04:15 PM   #1
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

California Superbike School 2013 Schedule!

The 2013 schedule is now posted!

http://www.superbikeschool.com/schedule/

I should be able to get to Vegas, The Ridge and a few of the California tracks to coach next year depending on the kids.......YAY!!!

Misti
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Thanks Misti!

I am thinking VIR this year. Common sponsors come through for me so I can afford this.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2012, 04:22 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
wish i had the money!

Old November 19th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Hey Misti, question for you.

Can you explain this please?

May 13 Virginia International Raceway (North) All Levels 475/675
May 14 Virginia International Raceway (North) All Levels 475/675
May 15/16 Virginia International Raceway (North) 2-Day Camp 2450

Why is there a big price jump for the 15th/16th combo day when you could do the 13th/14th for $1350? Am I missing something? What is the cost for a 2 day camp on your own bike?

Old November 19th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #5
DennyV
ninjette.org member

Name: Dennis

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post

Why is there a big price jump for the 15th/16th combo day when you could do the 13th/14th for $1350? Am I missing something? What is the cost for a 2 day camp on your own bike?
i believe the camp means they provide room and food et where the othere are you just come each day but find your own housing and food
DennyV is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
The 2013 schedule is now posted!
Thanks!

Bring the school to South Florida, Misti: perfect weather year around, lots of squids and wealthy riders.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #7
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

I am debating doing the one day at Barber or just doing a track day on my bike this summer at Little Tally. The Superbike school will end up costing quite a bit more but I will be coached on how to really ride and I will get to ride a BMW S1000RR all for $690 dollars and a huge deposit!!!

I have never been on the track before so maybe I should get some experience there first before I go to a school so I am not overwhelmed. And then do the school the next summer or when I have more money. Idk. I am just a college kid which means I don't have much money, so I am looking for the best bang for the buck.

Maybe I should start a new thread somewhere....

What should I do?
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #8
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Go to a track day. Do not do superbike school.
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
What should I do?
In your shoes... try before you buy. $$ is just to hard to come by these days. If you play your cards right, you could spend a lot less than 7 big faces hitting the track for the first time.

Old November 20th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #10
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
But if u play em wrong it could be $1200 lol
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #11
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Thanks for the responses guys. Yeah after thinking about it more I also decided track day first. Then Superbike school in the future if I get hooked on track riding. And hopefully I will get to the track for half of what it cost Jiggles. Haha.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2012, 03:01 PM   #12
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
The next one is just trackday + gas + food + uhaul trailer

Should be a bit cheaper
AFM #676

Old November 20th, 2012, 03:22 PM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
I have never been on the track before so maybe I should get some experience there first before I go to a school so I am not overwhelmed.
Not so sure you would be overwhelmed either. I cannot speak for CSS but every track novice program I have seen will NOT take/push you any harder than what your comfortable with. If you say "whoa there...." they have no issue.

Back to my question. I did some research and it looks like the "camp" get you the following;

Better rider to coach ratio (2:1) - more personal attention
Access to the "special skills" bikes - brake, slide, lean and camera bikes
1 on 1 review of riding footage
Ride your bike or a CSS bike - any problem doing a half and half for that?
Gear rental is included in the cost
Food & Drink for day

I see why the price is different now.

Old November 20th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #14
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
So what happens if you crash one of their bikes
AFM #676

Old November 20th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #15
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

They keep your damage deductible.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2012, 03:35 PM   #16
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
If the deductible is low enough I'd go. No way I want to be on the hook for crashing a superbike though
AFM #676

Old November 20th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #17
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

I want to ride that slide/lean bike. That would be killer.
CVMA #531

Old November 20th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #18
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
If the deductible is low enough I'd go. No way I want to be on the hook for crashing a superbike though
Google-fu looks like it's either $1K or $1,250 if you bin one of the BMW's. Looks like there is also an option to pay more up front, to have zero liability if you do tip over.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #19
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
AFM #676

Old November 20th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #20
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:

Here are the differences between the two day camp and the single day schools.

Actually there are a lot more differences in the two day camps vs the single day, hence the price difference. They are:

Two day camp: Available on the school bikes only, BMW S1000's (with four 800's available if you wish to ride one of them). During a two day camp you get 5 classroom sessions and 7 riding sessions of at least 20 minutes. Student to coach ratio is no more than 2:1 and during every riding session you will be followed and lead on track by your coach and then debriefed afterwards. There are less students overall at a two day camp which means that you will be on track with less than 15 students + coaches at a time. Format of the day is classroom, ride, classroom, ride etc.

Also, during a two day camp, all the off track training bikes (Lean/slide bike, brake bike and the No BS bike for the steering drill) are available for use depending on the track and weather conditions. You will also get to ride the camera bike once per day, have your video reviewed by a qualified coach and receive a DVD of both your camera bike riding sessions at the end of the school. Lunch, snacks, tea, coffee and water are all provided.

Single Day School: You can use one of the school bikes or bring your own bike. There are 5 classroom sessions and 5 riding sessions of at least 20 minutes. Student to coach ratio is no more than 3:1 and same as the camp you are lead and followed by your coach each session out and then debriefed after. Format for the day is Classroom, ride, break, classroom, ride, break.

At a single school depending on the level you are taking you can do one of the off track bikes. Level one is the steering drill (No BS bike), level 2 the Lean Bike, level three gets a video review session and level four can ride the slide bike. There is no camera bike available in a single day school. There are more students total during a single day so you are on track with more riders at a time, no more than 22 I think at a time.

Both options will give you an incredible experience and will improve your riding tremendously but you do get more value during the two day camp and a lot more one on coaching and off track training.

Quote:
I am debating doing the one day at Barber or just doing a track day on my bike this summer at Little Tally. The Superbike school will end up costing quite a bit more but I will be coached on how to really ride and I will get to ride a BMW S1000RR all for $690 dollars and a huge deposit!!!

I have never been on the track before so maybe I should get some experience there first before I go to a school so I am not overwhelmed. And then do the school the next summer or when I have more money. Idk. I am just a college kid which means I don't have much money, so I am looking for the best bang for the buck.

Maybe I should start a new thread somewhere....

What should I do?
The Superbike School is amazing and you will have one of the best days of your life along with learning some very very valuable skills. The school is also designed in such a way that you learn a new technique and then go right out on track with a coach to practice that specific technique before moving onto something else so there is little chance that you will feel overwhelmed. The coaches make sure to work carefully with each student to make sure that they feel comfortable.

The good thing about doing a school before you do a regular track day is that you will learn the proper skills right off the bat and reduce your chances of crashing (which costs time and money) and reduces the chance that you will have to unlearn any bad habits when you finally do make the school.

I've been a coach with them for the past 8 years and have also taken all four levels as a student so let me know if you have any specific questions.

Misti

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 20th, 2012, 04:45 PM   #21
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:

Actually there are a lot more differences in the two day camps vs the single day, hence the price difference. They are:

Two day camp: Available on the school bikes only, BMW S1000's (with four 800's available if you wish to ride one of them). During a two day camp you get 5 classroom sessions and 7 riding sessions of at least 20 minutes. Student to coach ratio is no more than 2:1 and during every riding session you will be followed and lead on track by your coach and then debriefed afterwards. There are less students overall at a two day camp which means that you will be on track with less than 15 students + coaches at a time. Format of the day is classroom, ride, classroom, ride etc.

Also, during a two day camp, all the off track training bikes (Lean/slide bike, brake bike and the No BS bike for the steering drill) are available for use depending on the track and weather conditions. You will also get to ride the camera bike once per day, have your video reviewed by a qualified coach and receive a DVD of both your camera bike riding sessions at the end of the school. Lunch, snacks, tea, coffee and water are all provided.

Single Day School: You can use one of the school bikes or bring your own bike. There are 5 classroom sessions and 5 riding sessions of at least 20 minutes. Student to coach ratio is no more than 3:1 and same as the camp you are lead and followed by your coach each session out and then debriefed after. Format for the day is Classroom, ride, break, classroom, ride, break.

At a single school depending on the level you are taking you can do one of the off track bikes. Level one is the steering drill (No BS bike), level 2 the Lean Bike, level three gets a video review session and level four can ride the slide bike. There is no camera bike available in a single day school. There are more students total during a single day so you are on track with more riders at a time, no more than 22 I think at a time.

Both options will give you an incredible experience and will improve your riding tremendously but you do get more value during the two day camp and a lot more one on coaching and off track training.

The Superbike School is amazing and you will have one of the best days of your life along with learning some very very valuable skills. The school is also designed in such a way that you learn a new technique and then go right out on track with a coach to practice that specific technique before moving onto something else so there is little chance that you will feel overwhelmed. The coaches make sure to work carefully with each student to make sure that they feel comfortable.

The good thing about doing a school before you do a regular track day is that you will learn the proper skills right off the bat and reduce your chances of crashing (which costs time and money) and reduces the chance that you will have to unlearn any bad habits when you finally do make the school.

I've been a coach with them for the past 8 years and have also taken all four levels as a student so let me know if you have any specific questions.

Misti

So what kind of food do they serve and is it open bar?

5 or 4 star hotel?

Who pays for gas?

Does the $2400 include the insurance deductable?

Will there be women available (what's the rent)?

Do you get a free T-shirt?

Do you get a trophy?

Will they be at the new Texas track next year? If so, will it be before or after the MotoGP and do you get a free ticket to the race.

Is it half price if you have done it before?

Are there group rates, family rates, discounts for looking good?

Old November 20th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #22
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Thanks Misti! Always a pleasure.

Old November 20th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #23
hybridkid
ninjette.org member

Name: KJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R (Sold - I'll miss you Ebony), 2009 Honda CBR 600RR ABS (Alexis), 2010 BMW S1000RR

My buddy just completed this school. The s1000rr statistically has been shown to be safer because of all of the aids (lean sensor, brake assist, etc.) ...He said there have been only two drops by students since they introduced the bike a couple years ago.

I'm torn whether I should take the course here or go to California. I was looking to ride the Pacific Coast next year with a rental. Might be a great trip after riding in this course. I also have a wedding to go to..I'm thinking I may need to have a long two weeks worth of activities.
hybridkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2012, 03:31 PM   #24
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Thanks Misti! Always a pleasure.
No problemmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridkid View Post
My buddy just completed this school. The s1000rr statistically has been shown to be safer because of all of the aids (lean sensor, brake assist, etc.) ...He said there have been only two drops by students since they introduced the bike a couple years ago.

I'm torn whether I should take the course here or go to California. I was looking to ride the Pacific Coast next year with a rental. Might be a great trip after riding in this course. I also have a wedding to go to..I'm thinking I may need to have a long two weeks worth of activities.
The S1000RR is statistically safer, we have had far less crashes since we switched from the 600's (but more than just two drops) despite a lot of people thinking that it was crazy to run a riding school on a litre bike.

The bikes are amazing and next year they will have a fleet of all new, 2013 1000rr's!

As for where to take the course, let me know if you have any questions about any of the tracks in CA, vs the ones you are thinking are closer to you. I've ridden almost all of them so perhaps I could help you out...

Misti

Old November 23rd, 2012, 04:56 PM   #25
Baddog
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 04 ZX 6R-636, 06 ZX 10

Quote:

Misti
Misti,

Is there any benefit to doing 2 (1 day) sessions back to back? I was considering the May 20/21 dates at Thunderbolt. I'm an intermediate rider with about 2 solid years of trackdays. I think we did 10-12 last year at NJMP in total. My understanding is the 1 day courses you use your own bike and provide your own creature comforts. (food, housing etc)
Baddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2012, 02:14 PM   #26
Baddog
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 04 ZX 6R-636, 06 ZX 10

Misti,

A question from one of our users in a trackday group on facebook:

"For the super bike school, do you have to start at level 1? I'm curious because the first 2 levels would be me basically throwing my money away. I don't want to spend $1k on levels I'm already passed. You know?"

Do they evaluate you or can you take the courses in any combination?

Thanks,

Kevin
Baddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2012, 03:38 PM   #27
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddog View Post
Misti,

Is there any benefit to doing 2 (1 day) sessions back to back? I was considering the May 20/21 dates at Thunderbolt. I'm an intermediate rider with about 2 solid years of trackdays. I think we did 10-12 last year at NJMP in total. My understanding is the 1 day courses you use your own bike and provide your own creature comforts. (food, housing etc)
Yes, two single days back to back is a great way to take the school. When I took it as a student I did level 1-2 at Laguna Seca and then a few months later level 3-4 at the Streets of Willow Springs.

Single days you can bring your own bike or you can rent a school bike. The School provides the food, snacks, water, coffee etc but not the hotel or transportation. On a single day you have 5 seminars and 5 on track riding sessions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddog View Post
Misti,

A question from one of our users in a trackday group on facebook:

"For the super bike school, do you have to start at level 1? I'm curious because the first 2 levels would be me basically throwing my money away. I don't want to spend $1k on levels I'm already passed. You know?"

Do they evaluate you or can you take the courses in any combination?

Thanks,

Kevin
Every student starts in Level 1 regardless of riding experience or speed. When Leon Camier (British Superbike Champion and World SBK rider) came to the school he took level one as well.

Just because you are taking level one doesn't mean there is a limit on speed, you can go as fast as you want as long as you are working on the specific drills. The first lesson of level one is throttle control and no matter how good a rider you are, you can always work to improve the basics like throttle control, quick turning, body position, etc...

Hope that answers the question. Let me know it there are any more!

Misti

Old November 27th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #28
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
there is always room to improve your basic skills. thinking that you don't need to improve is just your ego trying to do you wrong.

Old November 27th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #29
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
there is always room to improve your basic skills. thinking that you don't need to improve is just your ego trying to do you wrong.
Does anyone else think this basic thought from most of us that you can always improve your skills and everything is only thought about with bikes?

Most people will admit that they still could use practice and learn new things while riding a bike, but ask that same person if they want tips or advice on driving their car.

You're instantly a backseat driver and they get pissed. With a bike, you're a good friend looking out... weird.

Old November 27th, 2012, 04:01 PM   #30
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
If I get any faster I'll have to wear a helmet (so people don't recognize me).

Old November 27th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #31
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
If I get any faster I'll have to wear a helmet (so people don't recognize me).
you are a special case. :P

Old November 27th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #32
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by himynameisjoe View Post
ask that same person if they want tips or advice on driving their car.
If they are getting beat out of turn one every time or want to shave that .01 of a second off their launch time at the drag strip then I bet they would be more, lets say... receptive.

Alternatively, some riders are like that. And lets face it, if Leon Camier would come back and take level 1 again. It will go one of two ways. He will take to it with a smile, knowing the benefits of practice, no matter the speed or he will just go through the motions... kinda meh. Ask the majority of very experienced riders here if they would "pay" to retake the MSF. lol After the initial hiss and scoffs, you will find a few that would.

Now there is the biggest factor called "bang for the buck". As the FB rider asked if he could skip level 1 or even level 2. If that rider can prove he has a firm grasp of the basics beyond level 1, do we really need to pay such premium for a "practice session"? Why would we one could simply to a track day for much cheaper and possibly more track.. ummm, I mean practice time.

It's between a rock and a hard place for businesses that provide skills based curriculum. And.... you can't satisfy everyone.

Old November 27th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #33
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

@Misti, I would be interested to know if there has ever been a rider to enroll as level 1 and "evaluated" to be a higher level and an "on the spot" adjustment made. Similar to a track day where a novice rider is bumped by a control rider vs. a self assessment.

Old November 27th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #34
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Chris, you're not the good. It's all the bike. Every 250 rider thinks they are the best. It's just the bike.

Old November 27th, 2012, 04:34 PM   #35
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

lol.... dood

I would gladly take level 1. My paper is a limiting factor but not an object. Premium price or not, it would not stand in the way of my goals. Others do not share this same opinion.

Old November 27th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #36
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

I would take the MSF again, and I do plan to on my own bike once I get it. I also want to take the BRC2 and the Advanced Riding course. But I may be bias because it's free here. It's different when you have to shell out money, I know.

Old November 27th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #37
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
it would be a whole lot of fun to take brc again... i would work hard on trying to powerslide the box (aka trying to crash) and stoppying those little 125s at the ebrake lesson

Old November 27th, 2012, 05:18 PM   #38
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

This is a good point... haha considering that we already have our license and everything, who says we couldn't wreck havoc Wonder what an instructor would do if the entire group was just messing around trying to do stupid stuff? haha that could be funny... not that I'd ever do that...

Old November 27th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #39
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Can we play stupid noob and do as many burn outs as possible until they're out of tires?
CVMA #531

Old November 27th, 2012, 05:42 PM   #40
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

haha I think that would be fine... Ninjette.org group MSF course?