ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 19th, 2009, 12:16 AM   #1
NewNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki 250r (first bike)

Getting pulled over

I haven't been pulled over "knock on wood", but if i were to get pulled over, what would the cop ask for? and where do i put those things? like registration and all that? am i supposed to carry those with me at all times? newb question :] thanks in advance!
NewNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2009, 12:27 AM   #2
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2006 250R

same as car. I put mine under the seat in a ziplock bag. yes. yes.

Old March 19th, 2009, 12:43 AM   #3
kkim

I keep the paperwork in my wallet.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2009, 12:52 AM   #4
komohana
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

wallet...laminated my stuffs so's they dont crumble and become dust when i pull them out and the wind hits um...(usually after oh...about 3 full cycle washing machine trips...)

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2009, 01:06 AM   #5
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

i keep them in a ziplock bag in my inside jacket pocket.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #6
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

They will ask for the same stuff they do in the car, license, registration (Insurance in some states)... I keep all of that in my wallet, which is usually in my backpack.

Though I have yet to test this.

If you are pulled over something else to consider. When pulling off onto the shoulder remember thats were rocks and debris from the road way ends up. Careful when you park and where you put your kickstand. (I had one friend who put it down right on a rock and when he got off the bike it fell over...) Don't get off the bike until they tell you too. Also be careful with the traffic around you. They target fixate on cops and their activities. That makes you a target too.

Hopefully you won't need to practice this at all.

Old March 19th, 2009, 07:09 AM   #7
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by komohana View Post

wallet...laminated my stuffs so's they dont crumble and become dust when i pull them out and the wind hits um...(usually after oh...about 3 full cycle washing machine trips...)

Be careful about laminating your registration. Some states don't allow it under any circumstances.
First thing you do when pulled over is to put your kickstand down and get off the bike. That way he knows you're not going to try and take off and he will be in a much better mood.
Also, if you are pulled over and carry your paperwork on your person, wait until the officer asks you to produce them. DO NOT reach for your papers as he is approching your bike or he may think you are reaching for a weapon. Cops are very skittish these days for good reason and will draw their gun on you if you reach inside a pocket without being directed to. It's happened to me twice already. Once when I just approched a cop car on foot for directions and happened to have my hands in my pockets because it was a chilly day. It's better to just wait by your bike and do nothing until he directs you to do it.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #8
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Why worried about being pulled over? If by chance you do, you should tell the cop, "Man, this is a 250. I'm shocked if I can even get it above the posted speed limit. If I did, there must be a tail wind!"

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #9
islanderman7
The Sexy Filipino

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2008 (da black one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Why worried about being pulled over? If by chance you do, you should tell the cop, "Man, this is a 250. I'm shocked if I can even get it above the posted speed limit. If I did, there must be a tail wind!"

Ehh the new 250 is so sexy LEO's will say "quit BSing me, that looks like a 600."

I'm not riding too fast... I'm flying too low.
islanderman7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #10
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

/ In my wallet is my DL, Insurance, and health insurance card. Under the seat in a zip-lock are copies of DL, Insurance, health insurance card, and the registration.

The advice on how to react is so true today. The only thing I would do on my own is pull over in a safe location, kick-stand down, bike off. I wouldn't even take my helmet of until he/she is there. Put your hands on the tank and listen to your Ninja talk nice to the officer

Old March 19th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #11
kkim

yes, when it is safe, take off your helmet when you talk to the officer that stops you. It makes the exchange much more human for them and who knows, they may let you off. They like to be able to see your eyes, so when pulled over in a car, be sure to take off your sunglasses if you are wearing them.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #12
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
yes, when it is safe, take off your helmet when you talk to the officer that stops you. It makes the exchange much more human for them and who knows, they may let you off. They like to be able to see your eyes, so when pulled over in a car, be sure to take off your sunglasses if you are wearing them.

Sounds reasonable! Officer discretion is an option.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2009, 01:28 PM   #13
Viper-Byte
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R in Green! (Sold) Now 2011 Triumph Daytona 675 SE

I have not been pulled over as yet... Touch wood, LOL.

But a lot of people, even a licence testing officer thought my bike was a 600 by the look and sound of it. Till they saw the L plate I have on the back (must have them when on learners licence here)

AreaP Quiet Core Carbon Fibre : 8000k HIDs : Dynojet Jet kit : Double Bubble Windscreen
Viper-Byte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2009, 03:58 PM   #14
Verus Cidere

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

I'd suggest going ahead and turning the bike off. It helps with the whole "I'm not gonna take off on you" thing. Sadly, I have an experience with being pulled over. (DANG IT! Just so you guys know, I'm paying MUCH more attention to posted speed limits on highways now!!) They chill out much more if you just turn off the bike completely. I do agree that you shouldn't reach for anything until told to, and you shouldn't take off your helmet yet either. I would suggest flipping up your visor if you have it down right after you give the information. That way they're right there and can see you're reaching up for that.
Verus Cidere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #15
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

I've never been pulled over on my bike, but in my car i generally stop, roll down the window, turn my car off, keep my hands on the steering wheel and announce whatever I'm about to do. Has worked so far, no tickets.

After speaking to serveral officers they say they appreciate when you tell them what you are doing.

Oh ya, I keep my stuff in a zip-lock under my seat and my copies in my wallet.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2009, 01:15 AM   #16
DirtyBoy
ninjette.org member

Name: Leo

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

I keep everything in my wallet. When I was pulled over the officer told me over the loudspeaker to turn the bike off and NOT to put down the kickstand. When he walked up to me he took the keys out of the ignition and told me to lift up my visor. After I gave him my license, registration, insurance and concealed carry permit he told me I could take off my helmet.
49T sprkt/ EK gold chain/ Galfer pads and SS lines/120 frt 150 rr Pilot Powers/ GSX-R can/Desnorkled/ Raised needles/ Slider spools/ Cowl/ LED rear signals/ Fender eliminator/ Tinted lights / Emu seat
DirtyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2009, 07:09 AM   #17
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

I know with the two fifty if you have the kickstand down your not going anywhere anyway...

Old March 21st, 2009, 12:45 AM   #18
Verus Cidere

Kinda seems wierd that he would tell you to keep the kickstand up... Doesn't seem like it would keep you from going anywhere.

Old March 21st, 2009, 01:33 AM   #19
NewNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki 250r (first bike)

Lol thanks for all the tips guys!

"Why worried about being pulled over? If by chance you do, you should tell the cop, "Man, this is a 250. I'm shocked if I can even get it above the posted speed limit. If I did, there must be a tail wind!"

that got me laughing hahahah
NewNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2009, 02:38 AM   #20
Viper-Byte
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R in Green! (Sold) Now 2011 Triumph Daytona 675 SE

Michael, my guess would be so that it is harder for you to get off and attack them?

AreaP Quiet Core Carbon Fibre : 8000k HIDs : Dynojet Jet kit : Double Bubble Windscreen
Viper-Byte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2009, 01:47 PM   #21
Verus Cidere

Oh, yeah... I guess that makes sense.

Old March 21st, 2009, 02:04 PM   #22
GTsmokeya
GTsmokeya

Name: Erik

Motorcycle(s): 04' Silver 250 Ninja

Whether you choose wallet or zip-lock bag you could also take clear packing tape and tape the insurance card on the bottom of the seat. See my step dad takes my bike sometimes and so I have a card in my wallet but a spare on the seat incase he gets pulled over, and or if I loose my wallet. In IL its a $500 fine for no insurance.

GTsmokeya
GTsmokeya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2009, 08:38 PM   #23
NJD022588
============

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Where's Cochese? Havent seem him here in a while. He can give a good answer
NJD022588 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2009, 08:43 PM   #24
Rawr
Blue Blue Blue

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 250R

been pulled over many times in my car...in fact if i get pulled over again i lose my licenese haha...but i only drive fast in my car so i dont expect to get pulled over on my bike...but i keep my registration in the inside pocket of my jacket....although i will probably have to wait till the cop comes up to me so i can tell him why im reaching inside my jacket...otherwise he may shoot me haha
Rawr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #25
Kolya1981
Generic User Title

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): Green 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, Slate 2009 Triumph StreetTriple R

Hmm, I wonder if it doesn't vary from state to state as far as if you should get off the bike or not. I know in PA in a car you stay in the vehicle the whole time...but I got pulled over in TX and the cop had me get out and stand behind the car the whole time. It might be good to just turn off the bike and keep your hands visible until you get further instructions from the officer?

Old March 26th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #26
Verus Cidere

It could easily vary from cop to cop also. I'm sure they all have different ways of making themselves feel safe from as many angles as possible. I wouldn't be surprised if there are regulations from state to state, or even city to city, but I would expect it to be more of a personal preference between cops.