ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old April 1st, 2009, 11:32 AM   #41
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

It can be addicting that way. :P I am lucky that my phone doesn't let me access face book or I would really be in trouble

Old April 1st, 2009, 11:52 AM   #42
camaroz1985
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Typical girl
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2009, 12:01 PM   #43
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

Thats a dangerous move there...you never talk about a girl and her addiction to facebook ...that could lead to some serious
M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2009, 12:17 PM   #44
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

:: tap foot :: Ryan... You don't live THAT far... (Is so totally teasing)

I fully acknowledge my addiction to facebook but then I beat that 'typical girl' comment by not wearing makeup, getting my nails done, spending hours on my hair... I ride my own motorcycle, and I scuba dive. I think I am well covered when it comes to typical girl stuff

Now...

Old April 1st, 2009, 02:24 PM   #45
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Matt,

Lots of work today and wasn't able to check your posts...sorry. When I did the route, I used google maps and said avoid major highways, i.e. 95, 495, 295, 695...

I would avoid 495 (Beltway) at all costs. Driving it in a car is a whole lot different than on a bike.

Here is some more info on the train and motorcycles:

Special racks are used to secure motorcycles. The motorcycles are held in place with wheel locks, side straps, stabilizing bars and an optional padded clamp for the seat. Motorcycles with standard and factory-approved farings and saddlebags are carried on the Auto Train, but custom motorcycles, motorcycles with sidecars and chopped motorcycles cannot be accommodated. You will be asked to help position and secure your motorcycle on the flatbed carrier before the train departs, and to assist in taking your bike off the carrier when you arrive at your destination. You can expect a number of motorcycles around the time of the Daytona rally.

This was found at:

http://www.on-track-on-line.com/auto...stations.shtml
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2009, 02:52 PM   #46
dyeclan
Scooter Trash No0b

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): 08 EX250R 'Gears of War' Theme Bike, ZG DB screen, cowl, progrips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo-wasaki View Post
Add Monkey Butt to the padded/cushioned bike shorts.

http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/
Do not underestimate the vast wisdom contained within this post!
dyeclan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2009, 08:03 PM   #47
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Sam,
That was a lot of useful information. Thank you very much. So I did a new map quest because my mom is starting to question if she wants me doing this taking the beltway and the Delaware mem. bridge(We all know how over protective mothers can be...shes just doing it because she loves me I know ) So i came up with a new route...doesnt take the belt way. In fact it takes a lot of little roads and takes a long time(7 hours according to map quest.) If im on the road by 7 and I work in an extra 2 hours for breaks and what not...that gets me in at 4pm...not too bad. And who knows I may be traveling through some pretty nice towns. This is what I got with no highways http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Lort...:1:::f:EN:M:/e

Lemme know what you guys think.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 06:16 AM   #48
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Oorb View Post
Sam,
That was a lot of useful information. Thank you very much. So I did a new map quest because my mom is starting to question if she wants me doing this taking the beltway and the Delaware mem. bridge(We all know how over protective mothers can be...shes just doing it because she loves me I know ) So i came up with a new route...doesnt take the belt way. In fact it takes a lot of little roads and takes a long time(7 hours according to map quest.) If im on the road by 7 and I work in an extra 2 hours for breaks and what not...that gets me in at 4pm...not too bad. And who knows I may be traveling through some pretty nice towns. This is what I got with no highways http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Lort...:1:::f:EN:M:/e

Lemme know what you guys think.
Matt...That looks good. I've done basically the same route to Baltimore before. Sunny (Blue Tyke) will verify her side. Good luck.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2009, 07:35 AM   #49
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Quote:
starting to question if she wants me doing this taking the beltway and the Delaware mem. bridge
Matt - good choice on staying off the beltway AND the Delaware Memorial Bridge; it is tall, can have a bad cross wind, and the road surface is not always the best when I've taken it in a cage.

It think you back road route will be a lot more fun and less stressful. Stop and smell the roses.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 10:25 AM   #50
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Yea thats what I heard about the bridge. I think I'm gunna like this less direct route anyway than taking a highway...its gunna take about twice the time but I'm not on 1 road for very long so I'll be moving around a lot and wont get bored just going straight . Just gotta get the approval on the route and I think I'll be good to go. Thanks guys for all the support and the help so far and anymore tips and tricks would be muchhhh appreciated

Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:51 AM   #51
camaroz1985

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Back roads are the way to go. You will enjoy it much more.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 05:13 PM   #52
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Its official...that link that I posted is my ride up to jersey

Old April 2nd, 2009, 05:15 PM   #53
OldGuy
Live Life

Congratulations Matt - now all you have to do is make it a smooth incident free trip and your Mom will be a lot more trusting of things you want to do.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 06:30 PM   #54
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Haha yeaa. I had her check out the forum and see what everyone was saying and I think that helped a lot. They normally let me do just about anything(I mean how many mom's come up with the idea of their son having a bike? Let alone buy it for them?!)...I think it was just the not trusting other people thing ya know. Well now to start buying the bags ill need as well as some other things to start preparing.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 09:13 PM   #55
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

My trip became official today...and I already spent lots of $$ prepping haha. I've been meaning to get some real gear and now I have an excuse to ask for an early birthday present. Obviously already had a helmet...had riding gloves and a jacket too but nothing else really. Went on new enough and dropped some money on some riding pants with armor that are waterproof, some riding boots that are also waterproof, and a nice tank bag that has a clear cover in front for the GPS so I dont get lost :/. Also got a motorcycle cover since my bike will be remaining outside for the 7 weeks its up in Jersey. And finally bought some cramp busters...hopefully they work like I think it will. Not too bad for a night I'm supposed to be studying for International Finance huh? haha

Old April 2nd, 2009, 09:34 PM   #56
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2006 250R

Nice man! I expect lots of pictures!
I bought the crampbusters myself last week. Awesome for long rides.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 09:42 PM   #57
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Really? I've never heard anything about them in this forum so I was kinda wondering about it but it was only 11 bucks so I thought what the hell and bought it. I really hope it works like I think it will. And plenty of pics as long as theres stuff to take pictures of...or I can just take pictures of my bike haha. Alex, there isnt a way I can take a picture on my phone and upload it from my phone directly to the site using ninjette.org is there?

Old April 2nd, 2009, 10:09 PM   #58
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

Trips like yours, it helps.
Riding around town going through traffic, no.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:54 PM   #59
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Alex, there isnt a way I can take a picture on my phone and upload it from my phone directly to the site using ninjette.org is there?
Depends how full-featured the browser is on your phone. There's no specific feature on the board to let you to send a MMS-type picture directly from the phone, but if the phone can browse the site and browse to a picture stored on the phone, maybe you could attach it just as you would on a pc browser? Not really sure...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2009, 06:22 AM   #60
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Hmm I guess I'll have to give it a try...then we'll see haha

Old April 3rd, 2009, 06:23 AM   #61
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Quote:
Really? I've never heard anything about them in this forum so I was kinda wondering about it but it was only 11 bucks so I thought what the hell and bought it. I really hope it works like I think it will. And plenty of pics as long as theres stuff to take pictures of...or I can just take pictures of my bike haha. Alex, there isnt a way I can take a picture on my phone and upload it from my phone directly to the site using ninjette.org is there?
Photobucket will let you email them a picture (if your phone has that cabablity) that way it is posted up. From there you can link it to Ninjette.org.

Also I know you can picture message Face Book and have it post up in your mobile album and supposedly you are able to share pictures that way (I haven't figured that out yet) That is if you have a FB account.

Old April 3rd, 2009, 08:45 AM   #62
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

flickr also has that feature.

Old May 22nd, 2009, 09:30 AM   #63
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

So I just did the first leg of my trip with a couple changes. As some of you may recall I'm riding my 08 ninja from south florida up to jersey for the summer but kinda cheating a,d taking the auto train from sanford fl to lorton va. The train leaves today but I opted to ride up yesterday and stay the night since the weather forcasts have not been good. Rain rain rain...a storm system that they thought might end up earning the name Anne...but it didn't. Altered my ride a little and rode up through the middle of the state on rt 27...some of you in other states may know this road as this is one of those roads that go from florida up to...I dunno how far but I know atleast jersey. So this was my first long ride...ended up being 293 miles in 6.5 hours. I was very nervous at first since my next longest ride was 60 miles and never really rode in the rain much or even the highway. As I was heading north there was a constant crosswind blowing west and I trid to use the techniques I've heard talked about here but nothing seemed to work. I was having now fun and had been riding in the rain for an hour. Then at about the 75 mile mark two harleys past and waved...and I dunno something happened. I thought well if they are having fun then its physically possible for me to have fun also. After that point I became much more relaxed and comfortable and the ride ended up being a blast and I drastically underestimated this little bike. The crosswind stopped bothering me and I enjoyed every mile after that taking in the sights and what not. I believe my gear and added bits really helped. For this trip I bought proper gear even though I should have done this before. Textile/mesh joe rocket pants and jacket with armor with rain liners and waterproof a* boots(more like hightop sneakers) which costed a pretty penny but I remained 100 percent dry riding through 3 heavyshowers for about 45 min each time. The zero g double bouble kept the wind pretty much off my chest...my new 15 in cf area p gave me something beautiful to listen to and my new joe rocket tank bag left almost nothing in my backpack. Also listened to the advice of many and bought gel padded bicycle shorts...THANK YOU for those who recommended these...saved my butt...literally. Overall it was a fun trip and a great experience and I don't think I coulda done it without all the help and tips here. Just waiting to get on the train and on that for about 22 hours then a long ride from va to delaware to catch the ferry to cape cod then up to seaside nj to my friends beach house for memorial day weekend. Can't wait for round two tomorrow
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 22nd, 2009, 09:38 AM   #64
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Oh yea and I had bought those little round stick on mirrors from walmart...best mod I've done to the bike...can see all the way behind me...they're great. Every rider I passed gave the 2 finger solute...harleys and sports bikes a like. 5 other bikers on the train with me today...all great guys but I have the only sport bike. On a side note...lost one of the frame bolt covers...I don't think its a big deal but someone tell me if it is. Dunno how it happened...did the 1 year inspection on my bike with 1300 miles before I left since it was just my bikes birthday and everything checked out so I dunno how it happened. Anyone know where I can get these other than a dealership? Sorry for the long posts just wanna share my great journey haha.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 22nd, 2009, 09:40 AM   #65
camaroz1985

Sounds like you are becoming a lot more comfortable with the bike. I'm sure you next leg will be even more enjoyable. Just don't get to relaxed. You need to remain alert especially this weekend down by the Jersey shore.

Enjoy the ride.

Old May 22nd, 2009, 09:45 AM   #66
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Matt, make sure you get on the ferry to Cape May (not Cape Cod) or you will have a longer trip than you planned.

Taking the train has ended up being a great way to get up to Jersey since the mid atlantic states are all getting pounded by rain.

Did those Harley guys have gear on when they passed you?

You will find that anytime you take a long ride rain appears for some part of it. Once you get used to it the ride is fine. You will always remember the rain when you talk about your trip.

Old May 22nd, 2009, 09:47 AM   #67
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Yea deffinitly will be very aware. I know my limits and will not excede them or come close. And even though I'm more comfortable on the bike stupid cagers are still stupid cagers. I feel like on a bike cars are more respectful for the most part...as in most use there blinkers when I'm around haha. Down by the shore may be a little hairy since most of the people won't know their way around,will be in a rush, could even be intoxicated so once I get there the bike is parked for the weekend and ill let my friends drive me around. Again,thanks everyone for all the help and support.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 22nd, 2009, 09:50 AM   #68
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Haha yea cape may...stupid me...not like I lived in jersey for 18 years or anything. Those harley guys were just sporting helemets which depressed me a little but all the guys that rode to the train are decked out in all appropriate gear. As for the rain...as I tell the story more over the years of my first long ride the rain may turn into a tornado,then a hurricane,then a tsunami...will see how it evolves haha
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 22nd, 2009, 12:31 PM   #69
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Glad you made it! I wondered why your post count wasn't going up!

Old May 22nd, 2009, 12:32 PM   #70
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Too bad they don't let you ride with the bike. In 22 hours you could be cleaning it (after the rain) and have it looking good for the ride.

Old May 22nd, 2009, 03:31 PM   #71
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

I know I wish...I could do witha chain lube polish the rins the whole thing. I guess it'll have to wait. Itd make the ride go by a little faster...now all I have to do is read a book and watch some crappy movie they have playin...wish I had room for the lap top. If you want sunny you can meet up with me tomorrow and ride up to the jersey shore haha
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:07 AM   #72
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Just got to lewes del.and am on the ferry to cape may(not cod) as we speak. I must say I love riding up north so much better then florida...I now know what its like to take a turn on a bike haha. Weather today has been perfect couldn't ask for more. Took a gamble and took the beltway around dc to rt 50 and it had suprising a light amount of cars on it so it was great and fast. Rode over a big bridge for the first time...chesapeak bay bridge(not to be confused with the bridge/tunnel) was a little nervous at first about wind cause it was really high up but stopped at a wawa before the bridge and was talking to a man and wife who had just ridden across it on they're big kawi cruiser and they said it was fine. Well I made it with no problem. No crosswinds of anykind and it was really nice...nice salty smell and the temp dropped quite a bit. Now just to ride from the cape up to seaside and my trip is complete. I'm so glad I did this as it built my confidnce,skills, oh yea and it was a blast!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 23rd, 2009, 01:20 PM   #73
Tintkng
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r

im glad your having fun...im stuck at work for like the rest of my life...and its supposed to rain the only day im off!! keep us posted...try to get some pics!

Old May 23rd, 2009, 05:40 PM   #74
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
How's the bike running? Any problems? How about you, any cramps or pains (in the ass).

Don't forget to stop and have some seafood on the Jersey coast. Ocean City rocks.

Old May 23rd, 2009, 07:37 PM   #75
OldGuy
Live Life

Crab cakes around Ocean City or Rehobith should be great eating.

Old May 24th, 2009, 04:24 AM   #76
Elfling
ninjette.org guru

Name: Becca

Motorcycle(s): 03 Ninja 250, 02 CBR600 f4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTyke View Post
:: tap foot :: Ryan... You don't live THAT far... (Is so totally teasing)

I fully acknowledge my addiction to facebook but then I beat that 'typical girl' comment by not wearing makeup, getting my nails done, spending hours on my hair... I ride my own motorcycle, and I scuba dive. I think I am well covered when it comes to typical girl stuff

Now...
Elfling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2009, 05:10 AM   #77
Elfling
ninjette.org guru

Name: Becca

Motorcycle(s): 03 Ninja 250, 02 CBR600 f4i

Something I've noticed is that gripping the tank (with your knees) really, really helps encourage you to use your back for support and not your arms. If we're riding straight stretches, I'll relax a bit and let my legs open some; but decel/accel/and corners, gripping really helps take the stress off your arms.
Elfling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2009, 06:18 AM   #78
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
It's been a few days since the last report. I hope all is well.

Old May 26th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #79
djindia23
Ride or Die Ninja

Name: Kichu

Motorcycle(s): Blue Ninja 250R (the fastest color)

hey matt, hope you're enjoying the ride... when you get up to brunswick, let me know... ill come down with my ninjette... was down there friday night for graduation celebrations with some friends... hit me up when you wanna ride... maybe friday if anything??? cuz saturday got some stuff going on
djindia23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #80
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Hmmm well i live in Michigan, and i cant give ya any Tips for the Route your doing! lol
And as for long trips, i havent been on any myself, only like a 200mile day, but thats taking breaks as i stop at different familys houses too show em my New Ninja!

All i can add is, how tall are you? im 5' 10" and if my back starts too hurt alil, but i need too keep riding, scootin' your butt back alil back towards the rear passenger seat and in Rocket* postion can Help out, but your Arms and Neck will suffer 20mins later! Just keep abjusting your riding postion like that other guy mentioned, itll help ya from totally cramping up b4 you cant Stand it and need a E.R. pull over... only theres not really a Safe spot too do so!

If the Road is Smooth enuff and traffic is Minor, you can Rest your LEFT HAND if needed, hold down by your side for a Min. You cant do this with your RIGHT HAND, but ive found that all you gotta do is Loosen up your Grip, and Let your RIGHT HAND open up alil, Relax (dont Whiteknuckle it), but be careful of your whereabouts... if you need to regrip hard too dodge sumin!
Anyhow, i just wanna Add that this Summer July 9-12th is my Family Camping Trip! and its about 400miles one way, im riding my ninja up, with my Items in my Uncles Truck (day b4 ill drop stuff off in my car)

At this point ive ridden enuff and im sure 400 miles will be NP! (my family takes like 2 Food/Breaks also) soo thatll help out also

Well Good Luck, and Have Fun man! Sounds like a Cool Trip!
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote