ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old October 19th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #1
Majik
ninjette.org member

Name: Connie

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R RED!

Dropped my bike today! :(

I knew I shouldn't have gone for a "practice" ride today. I have been sick all weekend and I was too weak too ride today, but I went anyways. I couldn't stand it anymore and thought I'd be ok. I not only dropped my bike once, but I did it twice! I managed to drop it on both sides and it happened when I was making a turn in both instances. Everything went great until I had to make the turns. I keep wanting to slow down (way to slow) and this is my mistake! Besides having a bruised knee, I am ok, however, my bike is not ok! ALL of my fairings are now scratched, both mirrors and side lights are badly scratched (broke one of the side lights), my handlebars are scratched on the ends and my gear shift is bent inward. Now, when I put it in 1st, the bike completely dies on me. I also can't key lock my bike. The left fairing near the side light is cracked almost an inch. This all breaks my heart because the bike was in mint condition before I rode it today.

Here's the thing...because someone has broken into my checking account and taken all of my money (in dispute with my bank), I don't have any money to fix the bike. Is there a certain type of glue that I can use on the fairing? I have a friend that's gonna look at the gear shift and try to fix it for me. As far as the scratches on the fairings, is there some type of compound that I can use to minimize the scratches? UGH!!! This is horrible!

Old October 19th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #2
k1prototype
k1prototype

Name: k1prototype

Motorcycle(s): Ducati ST4

Sorry to hear that Connie, hopefully you get things straightened out with the bank and get the bike ready in time for the remainder of this season if not before next season starts.

Old October 19th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #3
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Um...that really sucks about the bike, your knee, and your bank issue. One of those days when you shoulda stayed in bed. Try some polishing compound on the scratches. Maybe epoxy for the fairings? Don't let it get you down too much
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #4
Majik
ninjette.org member

Thank you Kareem. I sure hope it works out that way! Thank you Sean! I wondered about the epoxy myself so I will try that. I am trying to not let this get me down. It's been a long time since I have ridden and I'm more or less a beginner again. One thing is for sure...I will take the MSF course before I do anything else stupid! Lesson learned...the hard way!

Old October 19th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #5
Samer
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samer

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

Hey Connie,

Really sorry about your bike. Main thing is that you're okay and you don't sound discouraged and you aren't quitting riding all together.

Just curious, were you leaning at all? or you were just going so slow that the bike wasn't stable and you couldn't use your feet to keep the bike upright?

Either way, I hope you resolve the fraud issue as well. S*IT happens sometimes :-(
Samer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #6
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

I have been told it is ABS plastic, if it is then I have used this stuff on ABS and acrylic:
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pro...roduct_id=2273
You need to get the little bottle and the needle tip to apply it all too. There is a special ABS solvent cement similar to this stuff that would probably be better. This will screw up the paint! Align the pieces and apply the solvent from the BACK side to minimize the paint interaction. The solvent should get sucked into the crack and cause the joint to be solid in a short amount of time, just hold the pieces together for a while. Test on something that isn't too visible. You may need to remove the paint around the cracks inorder for the solvent to work correctly.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #7
Majik
ninjette.org member

Hey Samer. No, I wasn't leaning. I tense up when making turns and instead of leaning, I sit straight up and I keep wanting to go forwards until the last minute. I am a small person...5'2" and once the bike starts to fall, I can't pick it back up. I tried to catch it using my feet on the ground and by pulling it back up, but it was too late. I had wanted to practice my turns today, but failed big time. I will be taking the MSF class soon and I know this will help me out alot. Thankfully, I was in full gear today so the only thing that got hurt was my knee. It's just bruised really bad, plus I pulled some muscles in my back from trying to keep the bike from falling. I was more concerned about my bike getting hurt than me! I was practicing in my neighborhood by the way...not on the busy streets! I def need practice with turning! Jeesh!!!

Old October 19th, 2009, 08:03 PM   #8
Majik
ninjette.org member

GREG: Thanks for that info. I will check into that for sure. I really appreciate it!

Old October 19th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #9
Samer
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik View Post
Hey Samer. No, I wasn't leaning. I tense up when making turns and instead of leaning, I sit straight up and I keep wanting to go forwards until the last minute. I am a small person...5'2" and once the bike starts to fall, I can't pick it back up. I tried to catch it using my feet on the ground and by pulling it back up, but it was too late. I had wanted to practice my turns today, but failed big time. I will be taking the MSF class soon and I know this will help me out alot. Thankfully, I was in full gear today so the only thing that got hurt was my knee. It's just bruised really bad, plus I pulled some muscles in my back from trying to keep the bike from falling. I was more concerned about my bike getting hurt than me! I was practicing in my neighborhood by the way...not on the busy streets! I def need practice with turning! Jeesh!!!
Okay Connie, I think I understand. I figured it would be difficult for you to use your feet to keep it up because you are petite.

I have one suggestion even before you take the MSF course. Practice on a bicycle. The MSF actually states that being able to ride and balance a bicycle is a prerequisite for the class. Ride your bicycle and really focus on what you are doing. If you don't have a bicycle, get one or borrow a friend's. What is critical is learning to balance it at very low speeds < 10 MPH, and if you can, try mentally noting the difference in bike behavior when you get above about 10 MPH, that is "counter-steer". When you get that fast, two things happen, it becomes much easier to balance the bike, actually it basically balances itself, and you push on the handlebar in the direction you want to turn. Push left to go left, push right to go right. For me, if you know that, then you know the foundations of riding a motorcycle. Good luck!

Old October 19th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #10
Majik
ninjette.org member

Thanks Samer!! I have a bicycle and I can ride it all day long with no problems. I lean into my turns and balance the bike great, rather going fast or slow. I think it's the fear of all the power with a motorcycle. I have a hard time making a turn after coming to a stop. If I'm already rolling, I seem to do better. When first taking off, it feels as though the whole bike will go over if I lean into the turn. Jeesh....like I said, I'm basically a beginner again. My 1st bike was a Suzuki 125 and I never had trouble with that bike. I never dropped it, not even once. The Ninja 250 is a lot heavier than the 125 was..that's for sure! Maybe I also need to lower the bike. I've had a couple of people suggest that to me. I didn't really want to do that because I hear that it interferes with turning...and I'm already having issues with that.

I'm not a quitter and I will keep practicing. I am not ready to give up! Thanks SO MUCH for all of your help and suggestions!

Old October 19th, 2009, 08:36 PM   #11
Samer
ninjette.org guru

Okay, my last post on this thread, I promise. This guy has some great videos for newbies like you and me!

http://www.youtube.com/user/CaptCras.../9/_F_0ri2hezY

Old October 19th, 2009, 08:43 PM   #12
Majik
ninjette.org member

Oh KEWL! Thanks for the video Samer!! And by the way, you can post however many times you want. Doesn't bother me none! I appreciate it all!!!

Old October 19th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #13
backinthesaddleagain

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

sorry about the drop. main thing is you are ok. came close yesterday to dropping it when rear tire went into a bunch of pine needles. i was already picturing picking it up and riding when bike straightened out. hope you get feeling well soon and get "back in the saddle."
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2009, 09:15 PM   #14
Majik
ninjette.org member

GREG: Thank you so much. I'm glad that yours didn't make the drop! Sand, pine needles, gravel = YIKES for bike riders!!! I was in full gear and so only my knee got bruised (pretty bad though). At least its too cold to wear shorts now so noone will see my huge purple knee~cap! LOL!! As soon as my gear shifter is fixed, I'll be back in the saddle again...can't wait either!

Old October 19th, 2009, 09:23 PM   #15
backinthesaddleagain

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

thats the attitude. when we were younger a friend and i both were out riding dirtbikes. he had just got his new bike that day. he hit a small jump and landed squirrely. the best thing he could have done would have been to crash at that point, instead he kept it upright for about 100 feet, maybe more, in an effor to save it, he crashed into a wall and bent the forks. what a first day.

anyhow, just keep practicing, learn what you can, get better, and have fun.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #16
kkim

straighten the shifter with it off the bike as trying to straighten it while on it can lead to damage to the shift that's coming out of the transmission.

the bike dying when putting it into first is most likely a damaged side stand switch located near the kickstand.

dropping a brand new bike sucks as a newb, which is why most recommend a first time rider buy a used bike to start off with. you don't feel so bad when you damage a used bike.

heal up, read some riding technique books and get back on the horse when you feel the urge.

pictures of the bruised knee would be appreciated!!
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #17
Ash
ninjette.org member

Name: Ash

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I'm glad you are okay (mostly). That is most important.
Ash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #18
vet415
ninjette.org member

Name: Gene

Motorcycle(s): '08 YZ250, '06 Katana 600, 06 Ninja 250, '06 YZ250

Glad to hear all is well, well, for the most part. The bike can be fixed. Just think of it as "experience". Good luck to ya
vet415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #19
Majik
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
straighten the shifter with it off the bike as trying to straighten it while on it can lead to damage to the shift that's coming out of the transmission.

the bike dying when putting it into first is most likely a damaged side stand switch located near the kickstand.

dropping a brand new bike sucks as a newb, which is why most recommend a first time rider buy a used bike to start off with. you don't feel so bad when you damage a used bike.

heal up, read some riding technique books and get back on the horse when you feel the urge.

pictures of the bruised knee would be appreciated!!

Pshhttttt!!! Pictures of my bruised knee? HeeHee...hmmmm...well ok...maybe! I didnt think about the side stand switch being damaged. Thanks for that tip. My bike is actually a used 2008...the previous owner just kept it in mint condition. Never dropped...no scratches...nothing...until now! YAY me! LOL!! I need to get some sliders (whatever they're called) to protect my bike from future drops. I'm sure there will be another drop. Wait...NO! I gotta stop thinking that way...there will be no more drops! No way Josea!

Old October 19th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #20
Majik
ninjette.org member

Thank you Ash and Gene! I appreciate that! Yall are ALL making me feel so much better! Thank ya thank ya!

Old October 19th, 2009, 10:56 PM   #21
k1prototype
k1prototype

Connie,

Another suggestion once you get your bike fixed. Shim the carbs! Mine are shimmed and I have a friend whose bike is not. I rode his bike this weekend and I noticed the bike was so lean that the power was not smooth. Basically it felt like it was going to die as soon as I tried to apply power until it hit at least 3-4k rpms.

He is a new rider and immediately felt much more confident on my bike when he rode it considering how much smoother the power delivery is on my bike compared to his.

Another thing when you turn try not to tense up. Look in the direction you want to go and let it flow naturally. Tensing up only causes you the problem you were stating earlier. Also like you suggested you might want to lower the bike. If you can't flat foot the bike, it also psychologically can make riding a nervous experience.

A cheaper alternative to fixing the fenders (considering the bank situation) might be to go semi-nekkid a la street fighter look.

Here is a video on how to bypass the kickstand safety switch.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old October 20th, 2009, 12:34 AM   #22
Majik
ninjette.org member

Kareem: Thank you so much. That is really helpful and I appreciate you sharing that with me! Thanks for all of your tips also. Being a beginner , I'm a wee bit nervous but I know that I will overcome it with practice. Thanks for responding to my post! It has helped me out alot!

Old October 20th, 2009, 12:38 AM   #23
kkim

I second the suggestion of shimming the needles... makes it so much easier to control the power at lower rpms.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2009, 12:41 AM   #24
zartan

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

Kareem has a good suggestion about shimming because it will get rid of that dead space right at the beginning of turning the throttle. Making it more predictable..

I would love to see you fix that switch rather than bypass it. Leaving that stand down and taking off into your first left can toss you away... so sorry you dropped your bike. Keep up the learning and you will have it in no time. I know it is not hard not to but, Don't beat yourself up. Plastic can be replaced by saving nickels and more nickels. But your self esteem is priceless.!!

Old October 20th, 2009, 12:42 AM   #25
zartan

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

Oh fine KKIM>> quick to the draw

Old October 20th, 2009, 12:59 AM   #26
k1prototype
k1prototype

Connie,

here is how to replace your kickstand safety switch, it is pretty simple:

Here is one on how to replace the shift lever

I would also look at the other videos posted by the guy who made those videos along with other beginner rider videos. They really helped me when I was first learning to ride. Also if you get a chance take another MSF beginner rider course. They really helped me develop the mindset and skills to first get underway.

I would look at crazedlist.org (does multiple craigslist search for parts) to see if you can get some cheap parts. Much better then trying to go to a stealership.

Old October 20th, 2009, 06:16 AM   #27
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

If you go with that solvent glue, make sure you have good ventilation! It is nasty stuff! If you are doing a lot of gluing it might be wise to set up a fan about 10 feet away, you don't want to evaporate the solvent too fast, but you want to keep the solvent out of your lungs.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2009, 07:28 AM   #28
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Sorry to hear
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2009, 08:23 AM   #29
F3nrir125
ninjette.org member

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

I feel you on how the bike is messed up before riding. I had an accident on a night where I was tailgated by some cager/ricer with his scion tc and went down on my right side while i was on a uphill right turn. I have a dented tank (can live with it just some pdr work), mirrors, exhaust, fairings scratched up, broken turn signal, and a broken right rear set.
Yes, I rode back home with the pieces in my pocket, with one leg dragging, and no rear brakes.

Right now I fixed the bike in usable condition with turn signals and rearset, but didn't bother to fix the body work until I plan on selling it.

I recommend that guy Wes Collins from the youtube page. A great guy to deal with and with great pricing. I got a few parts from him and will be buying fairings from him in the future. This is his company's page- http://www.mylittlesalesman.com/
F3nrir125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #30
subiegy2010
noob in training

Name: Ilya

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R (sold) '05 SV650S

You should definitely lower the bike. I dropped my mint condition bike on my first ride too, so I know how it feels. I made the noob mistake of not letting it warm up before riding and it stalled going up a slight hill. I'm only about 5'4"-5'5" so wasn't able to get my feet down to save it. The very next day I ordered a lowering kit and a Shogun crash kit. Now that I can get both feet down, I am MUCH more confident riding it; the difference is day and night! The sliders help for the added peace of mind as well.

I've actually had it stall another time since then; I was coasting down a flat road and starting to slow down for a turn ahead and as soon as I grabbed the clutch, the RPMs fell (as they should) and it died. Once again, it wasn't warmed up yet. Good news is that this time I was able to actually put my feet down and NOT dump the bike. This also means that my first mod next spring will be shimming the carb needles, as other have already said.
subiegy2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #31
zail
ninjette.org member

Name: zail

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r

Sorry to hear you dropped your bike - glad you're ok though! Well, apart from the knee. Have dropped my new gen twice but the worst drop was with my pre gen when I dropped it riding out of the garage and broke my leg in 2 places

As a shorty too my advice would be to start by getting the preload set to it's lowest setting and then get someone to scoop the seat out for you - or buy a spare seat and get that done. That way you can get the bike as low as you can without actually lowering and changing the handling - I think you said on another thread you had some boots that gave you an extra inch or so? You're a bit taller than me - I'm 5'1" with 26" inside leg - and I can manage with scooped out seat, preload altered and ordinary boots.

Good luck with whatever you decide and I hope it doesn't put you off

Old October 20th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #32
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Sorry to hear about the drop sweetie. My advice for the crack is to use a fiberglass patch kit on the inside of the fairing. That will allow the adhesive to spread over a larger area and make it less likely to continue to vibrate loose

Old October 20th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #33
Majik
ninjette.org member

You guys are ALL so wonderful! Not only have you made me feel better, but you have also given me some great and very useful information. I appreciate this more than you guys know! I'm very grateful that I found this site! Thanks to all of you, I've made some wonderful new friends!

Old October 20th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #34
DEXSPEED
2012 is here,let's ride!!

Name: dex

Motorcycle(s): 2009R,'12 suzuki +500

don't forget to use cold compress for the bruises.
i just got my bike shimmed 100% improvement throttle control wise you should do it
DEXSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #35
vet415
ninjette.org member

Name: Gene

Motorcycle(s): '08 YZ250, '06 Katana 600, 06 Ninja 250, '06 YZ250

Hey, how's the knee doing? Ibuprofen can be your best friend, lol. Take care
vet415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2009, 11:32 AM   #36
Majik
ninjette.org member

Thanks everyone. I'm doing alot better. My knee looks worse than it actually is. I haven't been able to ride since the drop because I'm waiting for a friend (who knows what they're doing) to come fix the gear shift and to shim the carbs for me. I am wondering why I can't key lock the bike. Does anyone know why this may be? There were no problems with that before the drop! I can use the key to turn the bike on and off but I can't lock the handlebars now.

Once again...EVERYBODY...thanks SO MUCH for your concern, help, advice and wonderful videos. You all are the bomb!!!

Old October 23rd, 2009, 11:46 AM   #37
mikedabike64
ninjette.org guru

Name: mike

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250

I get that, I usually follow my gut, if your feeling weak, take a rain check on the ride...
Sometimes I skip an opportunity to ride If Iam not feeling 100% mentally or phyically. Sorry about the bike, hope your ok.
mikedabike64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2009, 12:58 PM   #38
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik View Post
I can use the key to turn the bike on and off but I can't lock the handlebars now.
Check out the hints in this thread about the handlebar lock...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2009, 01:27 PM   #39
Samer
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Check out the hints in this thread about the handlebar lock...
Now you got me confused, all I see is a news story about "Ride to Work Day"

Old October 23rd, 2009, 01:59 PM   #40
Ananda
Bliss

Name: Keryna

Motorcycle(s): Own: 2001 SV650S Sold: 2007 Ninja 250

Hey Connie sorry about the falls. I fell going into a turn too and scratched up some of the same spots you mentioned. Taking the MSF helped me 200% in the riding department. Much better to drop someone else's bike while you're learning! (j/k)
But seriously all those little things like low speed turns you'll get to practice over and over. It will give you a done of confidence when you're done.
Ananda is offline   Reply With Quote