ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 22nd, 2011, 02:27 AM   #1
caphilli
ninjette.org member

Name: Chad

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki ninja 250r

DMV Hate!

I asked a question in another topic but figured it needed it's own little headline. See if you can follow the story....

Started like this:
Hey.

Ok, so here's the deal...

I got my bike 2 weekends ago and took the paperwork to the DMV a day or so after I got it. I paid all the fees and everything and the lady at the counter said that the person forgot to sign a part of the paperwork and that I had to go get it signed and bring it back. So she gave me a printout of what I paid and what needed to be done. I have since gotten the signatures but haven't been able to go to the DMV because I was out of town. I'd really like to ride today but don't know if it is legal for me to. I have the bike insured and all the paperwork signed and money paid to the DMV. It doesn't have plates, but that's because the DMV lady said to take them off. Does anyone know if it is legal for me to ride around? I'd really like to go for a cruise later. Thanks!!

A few days later:
Ok, so I made an appointment at the DMV for tomorrow afternoon, so I'll be able to ride whenever the weather clears up.

I have my license, so I'm fine there. I also have the plates for the bike, but the lady at the DMV said to take them off so that the person who's bike it was, if he happened to remember the license plate number, doesn't see it and mess with it. Whatever. So I physically have the plates, but was told to take them off and turn them into the DMV. Also, I now have all the paperwork finished. Signatures where needed and insurance (had that the day I got the bike). I have paid the outrageous DMV fees and have all the paperwork with me and a DMV paper showing I paid, showing the registration process in my name and my license number, and just a paper telling me what signatures I need.

But that doesn't really matter now because it's pouring rain out here in So Cal and I'm going to the DMV after class tomorrow. So, all should be good!

Thanks for the replies everyone!!

Today:
Alright, who else hates the DMV?!!?

SO.. After getting the signatures and the milage from the odometer written in I go to take the paperwork to the DMV this morning. Now, I made an appointment for 2pm but decided since my last class of the day was canceled, I'd save some time in the afternoon to study and just go in the morning when I'd usually be in class. I get there and get my number and take a seat.

15 minutes passes....

30 minutes passes....
(baby in stroller in the front row has been screaming now for at least 10 minutes)
45 minutes passes....

Finally an hour and a half later I get called. Go up to the window, give them the paperwork and expect to be handed my final registration and new plate. NOPE of course there's an issue.. Guy tells me that because the person who filled out the paperwork made a little mistake and scribbled out a number to correct it, that now the document is invalid and they can't accept it. At this point I put my head on the counter... looked up and said are you effin kidding me?! He said "that's the rule, sorry" Handed me a new form and said to go get it filled out. Pi**ed off, i told him the truth... the place i got it from is a good 70miles from where I live.. He again said that I had to redo the form and when I bring it back it won't take long.

So I leave and go back to my dorm. Luckily I have a friend who had to go out that way for an errand and was kind enough to take the paperwork out to the place where I got the bike and get the proper signatures. (He got a nice lunch) He returns around 1:15 and I figure hey what the heck I might as well go back and take my 2:00 appointment. Head over there, get my number, get called in less than a minute, give them the paperwork, get a new license plate, my registration and was outta there! All go to go for a ride tomorrow as soon as I get back to my house!

**End Rant**

haha So now I ask... Anyone else hate the DMV?? I'd love to hear your stories!
caphilli is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2011, 03:40 AM   #2
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

You're making it WAY too complicated. Did it never occur to you to just sign for the person who sold it to you? It's the DMV, they don't exactly verify signatures. Fill out all the paperwork correctly yourself, go in and get it done.

I had an issue getting my license in CA because of someone screwing up behind the scenes. But as far as office visits go they were extremely efficient. You can go online to make an appointment, and they also have a real-time counter online for each office that tells you how long the wait is. I show up prepared and have always been in and out in under 15 minutes.

Old November 22nd, 2011, 09:13 AM   #3
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

^ you must have a nice DMV... mine does not do that.. our DMV SUUUUUUCKS!!

I would have just signed it myself... lol eff driving.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2011, 09:18 AM   #4
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Yeah, I would've definitely just signed myself....

The DMV does suck though. When I went to take the written test, I had to wait like an hour and a half in one line that was just to be called up to the counter and given a number and then I had to go sit and wait for another hour before I was called up by my number. Was painless after that part but I'm definitely not looking forward to going back when I have to get my license after the MSF.
Malicious Logic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2011, 09:30 AM   #5
jrrob101
PhotoG

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 '10, ZX6R '12

I hate trips to the DMV, it's about $4 for parking and the wait is FOREVER. Waiting for your number is ok, but waiting to get your number is a pain. The DMV here in Queens has only two people at the counter handing out numbers for hundreds of people.
jrrob101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:06 AM   #6
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

This is why I now do all title transfer, registration stuff, and anything else they'll process through AAA now. Never had to wait more than 10 minutes to get to a counter, there's always tons of parking, and I've never had any hassle getting things done properly the first time. The DMV's consistently a nightmare to deal with, so I figure if AAA will happily do it for me, who am I to argue?
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:21 AM   #7
TeamGreen
ninjette.org member

Name: Keven

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250 Green, 00 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiphone View Post
This is why I now do all title transfer, registration stuff, and anything else they'll process through AAA now. Never had to wait more than 10 minutes to get to a counter, there's always tons of parking, and I've never had any hassle getting things done properly the first time. The DMV's consistently a nightmare to deal with, so I figure if AAA will happily do it for me, who am I to argue?
+1 AAA is the ****. I always feel so bad for people when they tell me they're going to the DMV. Haven't been in years besides to take my m1 test.
TeamGreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2011, 12:03 PM   #8
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

wait what? how does AAA do it? you insure it through them and they take care of it?!

Old November 22nd, 2011, 12:28 PM   #9
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

As long as it's not busy, mine is just fine.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2011, 01:54 PM   #10
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
wait what? how does AAA do it? you insure it through them and they take care of it?!
http://www.calif.aaa.com/en-ca/drivi...-services.aspx

If you're a AAA member, you can just walk into one of their offices and have almost anything you'll ever need done there. Best. Service. Ever.
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2011, 03:18 PM   #11
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

wuuuut?! thats awesome I had no idea? Im not insured through AAA but I am a member or whatever I think premium or something too...

Old November 23rd, 2011, 12:16 AM   #12
TeamGreen
ninjette.org member

Name: Keven

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250 Green, 00 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
wuuuut?! thats awesome I had no idea? Im not insured through AAA but I am a member or whatever I think premium or something too...
Yeah if you're a member you're missing out. A while back someone stole my plates off my truck and it cost me about $10 (for a new sticker) and I was in and out in about 10minutes with new plates.
TeamGreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2011, 07:16 AM   #13
Little_Ghost
ninjette.org member

Name: Mo

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Green/Black/White Ninja 250R

I just get so sick of feeling like every company I deal with lately, the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. Seems like most of the time when I have to deal with any customer service, their own employees cause a whole bunch more harm than good and it becomes a big debacle to get the simplest thing done.

You'd think with all the unemployed people out there, customer service would be at it's best since you know there are 100+ people out there who would happily replace you at any minute...

Old November 23rd, 2011, 08:35 AM   #14
Indy250r
ninjette.org member

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 KTM 990 ADV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiphone View Post
Image that, a private enterprise is more efficient and easier to deal with than a Government agency!

Just wait until you have to deal with these people for your health care...

(BTW, thanks for posting, I didn't know the AAA would handle this stuff!)
Indy250r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2011, 09:31 PM   #15
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamGreen View Post
Yeah if you're a member you're missing out. A while back someone stole my plates off my truck and it cost me about $10 (for a new sticker) and I was in and out in about 10minutes with new plates.
When my plates got stolen, I was at the DMV for like 2 minutes max (I also had to renew my registration for other bike). I was about to sit down after getting my # and was already called. Appointment system FTW.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2011, 10:57 PM   #16
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

My DMV was very kind. The PO wrote 198k mi. instead of 19.8k, because they looked at the odo and didn't know that the last digit was the 10ths... So I Xed it out and they took it just fine. I even brought it in without a registration paper, because the PO didn't register it for himself when he bought it, so there were 3 signatures under the title transfer section -.-

Walked in, paid my money, and left with my registration sticker and clean title