ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 15th, 2014, 06:43 AM   #1
baz666
ninjette.org member

Name: Baz

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX250 Ninja

Question Some questions for EX250 mods

Hey all,
I'll be back in DC area in less than 3 weeks and can't wait to get to work on my EX250. Since the fairings are cracked and scratched, I'm thinking of doing a Supermoto type thing with flat dirtbike handlebar, single big round headlight, maybe raise the rear a tiny bit.
Has anyone ever done a Supermoto conversion?

Also, anyone every done polished the exhaust ports and rough up the intake ports? I've done it to one other bike as an experiment, an old Yamaha Seca and it really boosted power.

Does anyone know the widest tires that will fit the standard rims?
What make/model of tires have shown to be the best for this bike?

Any other relatively easy inexpensive performance mod ideas would be most welcome too.

My goal is to build an urban razor blade. Something that rips through traffic and corners like it's on rails. I rarely have time to take long cruises so I thought this bike would be a blast for local riding in rush hour etc, terrorize the cagers and Harley beer barrel polka fans. I know, that's not fair. I used to own an HD dyna and it looked awesome, sounded great but was a never ending hassle of finicky problems. If you're rich then Harleys, Ducatis, BMWs etc are fine. But if you're basically broke most of the time but want a bike that will reliably run cheap and be a ton of fun, its impossible to beat Japanese bikes.
I've found 20 year old Japanese bikes sitting in garages, behind sheds, left outside, nothing done to them. You change fluids, plugs, battery and new gas and guh guh guh BWAAAAAAAA! It fires out some black **** from the exhaust, rips and snorts and then settles down. If you need parts, they're usually easy to find and not too much money.
Yeah, tough to beat those Nipponese fun machines...
baz666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2014, 11:51 AM   #2
quarterliter
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

What is your budget for this project?
quarterliter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2014, 12:15 PM   #3
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

once you go rice, it always runs nice!

Old February 19th, 2014, 11:21 AM   #4
baz666
ninjette.org member

In my original post I wrote:
But if you're basically broke most of the time but want a bike that will reliably run cheap and be a ton of fun, its impossible to beat Japanese bikes.

That kinda sums it up. I don't have much of a budget for this project. I bought the bike for $550 so it's really one of those projects I can't justify big spending on. I was thinking of stuff like polishing the exhaust header ports and roughing up the intake side. I've done that on some other bikes like KZ750 and XJ650 and it made a noticeable difference.
I was also thinking of rejetting, maybe a sprocket size change, better tires. It already has a new 2 Brothers twin exhaust on it.

What about progressive springs in the forks? Anyone done that mod and if so, how much does it help?

I also want to convert to a dirt bike style handle bar. Anybody have an idea how much work that would require to the triple tree, clamps etc. The top plate of the tree is at an vertical angle with the two separate handle bars attached at horizontal angles.
It doesn't seem possible to just bolt in a dirt bar into the exist clamps.
I wonder how much fabrication and such it would take.
I'm over in Thailand working for another couple weeks and saw a good quality dirt bar for about $50, done in black chrome.
It's 26 inches wide and 9 inches from each bar end to where the bar drops down 4 inches to the center section that clamps onto the bike.

Also weird I found a good American made Wynn's circlip tool set over here for $4. What's up with that? It seems high quality and says made in USA on it. Weird.

And a factory Kawasaki 80 piece mini-socket set for $22, high quality vanadium. I really don't get what goes on with global tool and parts trade these days.

Got a genuine Scoyco armored all-season riding jacket, really good quality with kevlar pads and goosedown liner, for $80. They list at around $200 on Motorcycle Superstore. They're made in Korea.

I was looking for a good rear rack and thanks for those measurements but nothing really works that I've seen. Too bad because they cost about $7.

thanks in advance for any input,
Baz

Old February 19th, 2014, 11:29 AM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by baz666 View Post
Has anyone ever done a Supermoto conversion?
yes, in fact someone in indonesia has taken it to the extreme. there's some really nice examples that i'm too lazy to look up

Quote:
Also, anyone every done polished the exhaust ports and rough up the intake ports? I've done it to one other bike as an experiment, an old Yamaha Seca and it really boosted power.
do it.

Quote:
Does anyone know the widest tires that will fit the standard rims?
What make/model of tires have shown to be the best for this bike?
150 is pretty much the widest you can go. i like 140 diablo rossos but if you want all terrain, maybe go with something nobby

Quote:
Any other relatively easy inexpensive performance mod ideas would be most welcome too.
lose weight on the bike, better intake/exhaust and jetting, suspension mods go a long way if you are a skilled rider. i was blown away by how much springs alone made a difference and if you already have springs, get emulators. they rock. better final drive gearing is nice for acceleration since you dont plan on doing lots of long distance cruising

Quote:
Nipponese fun machines...
nippon de tanoshimono!

Old February 19th, 2014, 12:59 PM   #6
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

Quote:
My goal is to build an urban razor blade. Something that rips through traffic and corners like it's on rails. I rarely have time to take long cruises so I thought this bike would be a blast for local riding in rush hour etc, terrorize the cagers
You sound immature, irresponsible, and lacking in judgement; the kind of rider that gives more responsible riders a black eye. Be careful one of those cagers you terrorize doesn't put an end to your riding career or your life.
flitecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2014, 08:28 PM   #7
baz666
ninjette.org member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
You sound immature, irresponsible, and lacking in judgement; the kind of rider that gives more responsible riders a black eye. Be careful one of those cagers you terrorize doesn't put an end to your riding career or your life.
I think you really need to remove that 2x4 from your backside and lighten up cuz the one thing you never want to lose is your sense of humor... But then you'd need to have one to lose it... Ride safe!