ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old January 19th, 2017, 07:16 AM   #1
jrshooter
ninjette.org guru

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): ninja 300

rear brake use

excuse me, we have a month and a half before i ride again, lots a time to think.
i was listening to kh podcast on rear brake use, ken said you can drag the rear brake to suck the front in and tighten your line.
so my wonderment is, turn 1 at thill , the turn speed is a few mph less than what i can achieve comming down the front straight. 99 for the straight 93 plus for turn 1, can i leave it pinned drag a little rear brake for turn in? the way i am doing it is to roll off at turn in, but it seams to over slow me.
thanks.
jrshooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2017, 05:52 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Good question. Been around Thunderhill many times, but never on a 250/300. Have always had to brake significantly into turn 1, whether on a 600 or 1K, with the highest speeds on the entire track hit right before that braking point. That said, my hunch would be that the fastest 250/300's are rolling around turn 1 pinned. It's a 100 mph turn that's banked properly with a wide exit.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2017, 06:33 PM   #3
jrshooter
ninjette.org guru

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Good question. Been around Thunderhill many times, but never on a 250/300. Have always had to brake significantly into turn 1, whether on a 600 or 1K, with the highest speeds on the entire track hit right before that braking point. That said, my hunch would be that the fastest 250/300's are rolling around turn 1 pinned. It's a 100 mph turn that's banked properly with a wide exit.
while your there alex. comming up the hill to turn 8 is another wide open turn
i was told keep it pinned slide up on the tank get your head way out in front. curios if this applys to turn 1, the pod cast got me thinking is all.
jrshooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2017, 09:09 PM   #4
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
I have used rear brake to stabilize the bike numerous times in all kinds of circumstances whether its street or track.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2017, 12:15 AM   #5
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
FYI, said podcast is here:

http://khcoaching.com/podcasts/

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2017, 10:47 PM   #6
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

Definitely. One thing I never thought about before Aaron Stevenson at Cornerspin brought it up was that using the rear brake affects the bike in a completely different way than rolling off or using the front brake. By rolling off or using the front, we're changing the drive chain load, which acts on the swingarm, and front fork compression.

Not that I'm anywhere near fast enough to use the rear.

Kevin Schwantz has said he doesn't use the rear brake on track as it distracts from his front brake and reference points.
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2017, 05:32 AM   #7
britx303
ninjette.org member

Name: AJK

Motorcycle(s): TOOOOOO MANY!!

Use the rear to suck the front in to tighten your line? Thats what trailbraking the front does.The forks compress,causing the rake to "shorten"and makes the front turn in quicker.Using the rear to tighten your line is from getting the rear to slip just enough to drift the rear around to tighten it up.Bare in mind everyone rides different and has different theories on things.Some people make certain theories work and others cannot make the same things work for themselves.What ive explained is what works for me.
britx303 is offline   Reply With Quote