ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old March 25th, 2015, 01:43 PM   #1
Dsheumaker
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 14 Ninja 300 (Track Only), 07 CRF150RB

Fork Spring Question

So i am about to replace my fork seals since one of them are leaking pretty bad right now. The question is, can i replace the seal and then replace my springs at another time without doing the seals again? Ive done some reading but its not completely clear for me. i plan on using 15wt oil and i would really like to do the springs but that doesnt fit into my budget right now. Dont really want to have to wait till i can get springs since the weather is getting so nice out.
Dsheumaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2015, 01:50 PM   #2
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Welcome David!

Go ahead and replace your fork seals now. do you know the cause of the fork leaking? dirt or bent fork? Have you tried cleaning out the seals with "Seal Mate" or similar to see if it fixes the issue?

Replacing the forks springs does not require you to fully disassemble the forks. For the forks if you do them later, you just remove the handle bars, remove fork caps, pull out washer, spacer, and spring and install the new springs in, measure and cut the new spacer, and throw everything back together. Just keep note of your oil level so you have an idea how much to put back in if you end up removing a bit from it betting attached to the old springs.

Old March 25th, 2015, 01:51 PM   #3
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Yes you can, all that is needed to change springs is to remove the cap.

You could cut your springs to increase the stiffness of them, which is very easy to do, remember you will need new longer spacers, which most on here like PVC, I personally use black steel pipe, to each his own.

here's some homework for you,

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Front_suspension_upgrades

http://www.ex-500.com/wiki/index.php...the_Suspension in this link pay close attention to the Cutting Stock Springs ( The FOG suspension Mod ) paragraph.

I personally have done the cut OEM spring modification in both the Ninjette, and EX500 and I'm very pleased with both.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2015, 02:01 PM   #4
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Hi, David. Welcome!

Concur with these guys: can do them at separate times.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2015, 04:18 PM   #5
Dsheumaker
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 14 Ninja 300 (Track Only), 07 CRF150RB

Thanks for the replys. I do not know what is causing the leak, I've only had the bike for a couple of weeks. The previous owner said he had them changed last year (he didn't take care of the bike very well and he only used it for commuting) and they weren't leaking when u got the bike, went on two rides, one easy cruising and one kind sprinted Canyon riding. On my way home from the hard ride is when I noticed my leak. I can ask around and see if anyone has the seal mate tool as I do not have one. If that works then I can save me seals for another time since I already ordered them.

ok have to take some time and read that link you posted, i may have read it before.

thanks guys!
Dsheumaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2015, 05:08 PM   #6
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsheumaker View Post
Thanks for the replys. I do not know what is causing the leak, I've only had the bike for a couple of weeks. The previous owner said he had them changed last year (he didn't take care of the bike very well and he only used it for commuting) and they weren't leaking when u got the bike, went on two rides, one easy cruising and one kind sprinted Canyon riding. On my way home from the hard ride is when I noticed my leak. I can ask around and see if anyone has the seal mate tool as I do not have one. If that works then I can save me seals for another time since I already ordered them.

ok have to take some time and read that link you posted, i may have read it before.

thanks guys!
It's been my experience that previous owners lie!! not only that, but who put them in?

Whenever I get a used vehicle I go thru it top to bottom, back to front.

Been burned before, won't be burned again. I have trust issues, that's why I do all my own maintenance, upgrades, and modifications.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote