ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old November 9th, 2015, 10:55 AM   #1
Hasersys
ninjette.org member

Name: Hasersys

Motorcycle(s): Have owned Ninja250,EX500,Xj650,RD250,XV750

Newgen Ignition on pregen help.

I have swapped my rear an front end for the newgen setup on my bike. Now to clean it up I would like to run the newgens ignition. The pregen just will not fit in the top triple. I ordered the new ignition an keys, it has 7 wires. My bikes ignition lead only has 6. I am not sure which wires I can leave off. Normaly I can figure out the wiring but in this case it seems I keep finding the diagrams do not match what I have, I am missing a wire. It is also possible a PO has eliminated one.

So can anyone point me into the right direction.

The wires I have on my new ignition are as follows

Black, Red, Gray, Orange, Brown, Brown/White, Green.

The older harness has 6 wires with brown, and brown white connected into the same pin. They are

White, Yellow, Brown, Brown/White, Red, Red/blue.
Hasersys is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2015, 06:01 PM   #2
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
They should both have 7 wires and they should be the same between PreGen and NewGen.

Harness colors:
White is Main power from the battery.
Brown is switched power to the junction box.
Gray is power to the igniter.
Red/blue is power from the Taillight fuse.
Red is power to the taillight.
White/black is a fork off the Main power.
White/green is power to the turn signal fuse.

PreGen:

NewGen:

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old November 11th, 2015, 11:13 AM   #3
Hasersys
ninjette.org member

Well thanks for your input, this will help me trace them back with a volt meter. My wiring harness looks stock, dosent look tampered with. My wires just don't match up with the schematics.. No surprise there just makes it a bit more difficult. My old ignition only has 5 wires. Ok, so I know what to do from the bikes harness, but how do I trace which wires from the new ignition?

Assuming my black is ground, when the key is on I should have 12v from all wires. In park I should have 4 wires, once I figure those 4 I should be able to connect them with the proper wire on the harness. Now as for the wire with the 100ohm resistor, when I figure out which it is, this one goes to the ignition. They are all 12v so as long as I keep my ground from shorting I shouldn't be in danger of frying anything correct. All I need to do is get my park wires sorted and ignition wire. The rest will not matter what color they go to on the ignition as long as they come on when in on position and are correct while in park.

I don't remember my head spinning like this the last time I rewired a bike.. Maybe it has been to long, but I seem to be confused easier than I remember. Thanks for the help.

Old November 11th, 2015, 02:18 PM   #4
InvisiBill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
If you can find (or get some kind soul to take) a good pic of the NewGen ignition plugged into a NewGen main harness, that should tell you which colors on the ignition harness correspond to which colors on the main harness.

If your main harness has the proper color wires, you should be able to just match up the deciphered NewGen ignition wires to the proper harness wires then.

I'm a little concerned about the missing and/or miscolored wires though. You might want to see if you can get a good pic of the PreGen ignition/main harness as well, just to verify. After a bit of searching, it looks like they used slightly different ignition switches on some of the earlier bikes. I'm not sure exactly when they used what, but that could account for some differences that you're seeing. Similarly, the "unchanged" Gen2 EX500 had multiple different harnesses that they used over the years, with slight changes in them for different plugs and such.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***

Old November 11th, 2015, 03:38 PM   #5
Hasersys
ninjette.org member

I am noticing a lot of differences in my wiring harness. I have changed out a couple of the controles, and tried a couple different years that I had laying around and non of them just plugged in. For instance I have tried one pregen right control and one newgen right controls, and each of them I had to switch two pins on the harness for it to work... Guess I am just the lucky one. The newgen ignition I have dosent even have the same plug as my pregen.. I will figure it out. I have a bunch of things still to do. I just came inside from running it and I noticed the new right clutch is doing somthing odd now. Isn't the clutch supposed to be pulled in to start? Mine will only start if the cluch is not engaged. Am I mistaken or isn't it supposed to be pulled in to start..

Old November 11th, 2015, 04:22 PM   #6
InvisiBill

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasersys View Post
I just came inside from running it and I noticed the new right clutch is doing somthing odd now. Isn't the clutch supposed to be pulled in to start? Mine will only start if the cluch is not engaged. Am I mistaken or isn't it supposed to be pulled in to start..
Yeah, if it's not in neutral, you should need to have the clutch pulled in to start it. If it's in neutral, it shouldn't matter what the clutch is doing.