ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Notices

Old January 2nd, 2017, 12:06 PM   #1
magnaton
ninjette.org member

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

Nude gauges project

Got my first bike a few moths ago and have been slowly converting it into a street fighter. Pulled off all the fairings, replaced the tail lights, wrapped the headers, and am now tackling the front section. Just received a new headlight and mounts and $30 universal speedo with some rather lackluster wiring instructions

https://www.amazon.com/IZTOSS-Speedo...2E9NWZ8B768G85

Gonna take today to get started on attempting to wire it up. I'm sure there'll be a couple questions throughout this process, but here's one to start:

Did some prep reading, and there are a lot of suggestions to wire the tach straight to the coil instead of wrapping a spark plug. How does one do this? Please explain as if talking to a 5-year old who has never done anything more adventurous than attach new turn signals.

Many thanks. Photos of the process to come throughout
magnaton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2017, 07:13 PM   #2
magnaton
ninjette.org member

So I'm well on my way! Photos below.

Only two snags so far:
1) How do you mount an electronic speedo sensor to the front tire? Would love to see some picture of how you all have done it. I have the long bolt kind and it's not sitting comfortable anywhere.
2) Is there a proper way to attach a wire to the positive terminal of an ignition coil?

Otherwise, she's well on her way!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 05:54 PM   #3
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnaton View Post
Did some prep reading, and there are a lot of suggestions to wire the tach straight to the coil instead of wrapping a spark plug. How does one do this? Please explain as if talking to a 5-year old who has never done anything more adventurous than attach new turn signals.
The black wire at the dash is a fork off the wire running from the igniter to the coil. Just connect to that.

Note that the coils and tach receive constant 12V power (red and brown wires respectively), and the igniter grounds the black (or green) wire to complete the circuit.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2017, 06:52 PM   #4
magnaton
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
The black wire at the dash is a fork off the wire running from the igniter to the coil. Just connect to that.

Note that the coils and tach receive constant 12V power (red and brown wires respectively), and the igniter grounds the black (or green) wire to complete the circuit.
Thanks InvisiBill! Black wire of tach worked like gangbusters!!

Also, there's a pin that says needs to go straight to the positive terminal of the battery for uninterrupted current (even when ignition is off). Are you saying the the red and brown wires of the coils and tach respectively will serve the same function? Are these the positive terminals of the coil on that PDF?

Thanks so much for all the help. Really appreciate it

Last futzed with by magnaton; January 4th, 2017 at 12:36 AM.

Old January 4th, 2017, 12:35 AM   #5
magnaton
ninjette.org member

Ack -- no luck. I can't get this thing to save my settings. Which makes it a little useless as a speedometer since it needs wheel circumference saved.

I've wired the power to the positive terminal of the battery for constant power supply and still no joy.

For all intents and purposes, what's the difference between the brown and the red/blue wires in the stock gauge? Are those both switched power?

Old January 4th, 2017, 08:38 AM   #6
empire00
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r SE, 2015 FJ-09

If you have 12v+ with the ignition off and it is still not saving with the ignition off you might have a switched ground or possibly the full time 12v+ is on the wrong wire.
empire00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2017, 02:52 PM   #7
magnaton
ninjette.org member

Hrmm makes sense. To confirm, my interpretation of the wiring schematic in the sticky is:

1) Yellow/Black: Constant ground
2) Brown/blue: Switched 12v
3) Red/blue: Switched 12v
4) Red terminal battery: Constant 12v

Is that correct? Is there any difference between 2 and 3 above?

Last futzed with by magnaton; January 4th, 2017 at 07:59 PM.

Old January 5th, 2017, 05:18 AM   #8
InvisiBill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Red/blue is from the TAIL fuse, and is switched power to all the "running" lights on the bike. In the dash, it powers the illumination bulbs.

The brown/blue is switched power from the IGN fuse. It powers the gauges and indicator lights themselves, the igniter, and the kill switch (which passes through to the red wire powering the coils).

Other than the battery terminal/lead, the white wire is the only source of non-switched 12V power in the harness. It runs from the Main fuse to the ignition switch, R/R, and the FAN/ACC input of the junction box (that might be changed on some years' harness, as was the case on the EX500).

Quote:
Quote:
Are you saying the the red and brown wires of the coils and tach respectively will serve the same function? Are these the positive terminals of the coil on that PDF?
To clarify this, the coil circuits use a constant power supply and the igniter switches the ground as needed. The coils' red wires are switched on and off with the ignition and kill switch, not always-hot "constant" 12V. But the ignition switches the ground rather than the power, which might not be expected to some people.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***

Old January 6th, 2017, 08:02 PM   #9
magnaton
ninjette.org member

Quote:
The coils' red wires are switched on and off with the ignition and kill switch, not always-hot "constant" 12V. But the ignition switches the ground rather than the power, which might not be expected to some people.
Super interesting. Could I have a problem of a switched ground then? Trying to figure out why this speedo isn't saving my settings. Running the switched power from the Red/Blue, constant power direct from Red battery and ground to Black and yellow. Should work right?

As a hail mary I switched the two powers to see if there's was something I missed and that just made things worse, as expected. Ground direct to battery negative didn't help either.

Color me stumped

Old January 6th, 2017, 09:12 PM   #10
empire00
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r SE, 2015 FJ-09

If you have ground direct to battery negative and a direct line for battery positive and it is still not saving you either have a dead battery or it is something with the unit. My money would be on bad unit at this point.
empire00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2017, 07:55 AM   #11
InvisiBill

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Super interesting. Could I have a problem of a switched ground then? Trying to figure out why this speedo isn't saving my settings. Running the switched power from the Red/Blue, constant power direct from Red battery and ground to Black and yellow. Should work right?

As a hail mary I switched the two powers to see if there's was something I missed and that just made things worse, as expected. Ground direct to battery negative didn't help either.

Color me stumped
Yes, those are the correct wire colors for those uses. You'd only have a problem with switched ground if you're using the wires between the igniter and coils (the actual coil circuits) as ground for the gauge.

Like empire00 said, if you've got the power hooked to the battery and are using the common black/yellow ground or the battery itself, there's not much else to go wrong. I'd suspect a bad (or poorly documented) gauge.

There can be confusion around the red/blue wire though. It's red/blue coming out of the TAIL fuse and going to the ignition switch, dash illumination lights, and brake light switches. The wires from the brake light switches to the bulb are blue/red. The oil pressure sensor also uses a blue/red wire, and runs to the dash for the warning light. But again, this should be going to the switched power circuit on your gauge, so using the wrong source here should just result in the gauge not turning on at the right time (as opposed to working properly but not saving settings).