ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 21st, 2010, 09:36 AM   #1
DRivero
ninjette.org guru

Name: Debbi

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250 (Sold); 2008 Ninja EX500

I guess I'm gonna hafta do this myself!

The boyfriend and I split. It's been six weeks, and I guess he's not coming back.

What does this have to do with anything? Well, he's the one who got me back into bikes again, after a 25 year hiatus, and gave me the confidence to ride. He's the one who searched and searched and SEARCHED until he found my bike for me, a 2001 Ninja in near-perfect condition, for a ridiculously low price that I could afford. He's the one that fiddled and tinkered with it until he was sure it was safe and sound for me to ride. Unfortunately, he's now the one no longer around.

Aside from teaching me how to clean and lube my chain, and to take the fairings off and put them back on, he didn't get a chance to show me much about the mechanics or maintenance, although that was on the agenda. Without him around, now I just basically ride it. This will not do for much longer.

So, is there a Motorcycle Maintenance for Dummies book out there somewhere? I live pretty frugally, so I'd like to learn how to maintain it myself and, ideally, fix it if it breaks.

I think I can do this. I just need to know what I'm looking at. I'm not afraid to get dirty, and the other night my bike broke down on the side of the road and I fixed the problem....all by myself!
DRivero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2010, 09:47 AM   #2
ckholloway
ninjette.org member

Name: Corey

Motorcycle(s): none yet

I am pretty sure I saw a couple of repair books on ebay and that should be all you need. They have a ton of good information in them and will walk you through anything that needs don.

Old February 21st, 2010, 10:00 AM   #3
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Its pretty simple with the ninja 250r....all you need is a service manual.
The ninja 250r is probably one of the easiest bikes ever to work on. There's not much to it, its a simple design. The most complicated part is getting all the fairing work off to actually do any work to it.

In general, most of your maintenance will be oil changes, checking tire pressures, checking brake pads, chain lube, bolts not coming loose anywhere, all the lightbulbs, etc. The more advanced maintenance like valve adjustments, etc. You can either do yourself with a service manual as a guide, or take it to a shop.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2010, 10:37 AM   #4
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Check out the DIYs posted on this site - there's plenty of great info to get you started ninja250.org has plenty of info specific to the pre-gen as well

Old February 21st, 2010, 10:37 AM   #5
kazam58
Sarcasm: Yea that'll work

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

As was mentioned before, grab a service manual. Pay attention to the tables that tell you when to service certain things. That will tell you that after x amount of miles or x amount of time you should change your oil, lube your chain, lube your clutch cable, etc. That way you can stay on top of scheduled maintainence without falling behind and letting the bike get out of shape. Most of the basic maintainence routines are posted up as DIY's in the tech section of this forum. And if anything more serious ever comes up, anyone here will be glad to help you. To be able to work on the bike at home, the real key is to have some time set aside when you're doing it the first time, and to always have the right tools.

Old February 21st, 2010, 10:41 AM   #6
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRivero View Post
The boyfriend and I split. It's been six weeks, and I guess he's not coming back.

So, is there a Motorcycle Maintenance for Dummies book out there somewhere? I live pretty frugally, so I'd like to learn how to maintain it myself and, ideally, fix it if it breaks.

I think I can do this. I just need to know what I'm looking at. I'm not afraid to get dirty, and the other night my bike broke down on the side of the road and I fixed the problem....all by myself!
Being the SOB I am I have to put 2 and 2 together and keep up my image. The title of the thread is, "I guess I'm gonna hafta do this myself!" and the first sentence is "The boyfriend and I split. It's been six weeks, and I guess he's not coming back." Now to quote Charley Sheen, " you don't need batteries, it's rechargable".

To get serious, the book you want is the service manual for the Kawi 250. Read it cover to cover and when you don't understand something PM the wise old master, Kelly.

Old February 21st, 2010, 10:45 AM   #7
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
This link to WebBikeWorld has lots of articles covering motorcycle maintenance. I hope this helps.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcyc...s/articles.htm
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2010, 11:40 AM   #8
DRivero
ninjette.org guru

Cowboy, I consider myself to possess a fairly healthy, dirty mind, but you out-dirty me by leaps and bounds. And, um, not that I have any reason for asking, but......um, they have rechargeable now?

Thanks, everyone. I do have the manual, on my hard drive.I suppose it's worth a trip to Kinko's to print it out. My problem is, I don't really know even the basics of motorcycle mechanics; however, I think the bigger problem I'm having is being intimidated. I suppose I'll have to just get right over that!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old February 21st, 2010, 01:05 PM   #9
Grn99Kawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Honda CBR600F4 (sold) 1999 Ninja 250 (sold)

I have the pregen service manual as a pdf.. I dont remember offhand where I downloaded it from, but a search on this forum might shed some light on it.. its definately valuable when it comes to repairs and maintenance.

Adam

1999 Kawi Racing Green Ninja 250 sold
Grn99Kawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2010, 01:47 PM   #10
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRivero View Post
Cowboy, I consider myself to possess a fairly healthy, dirty mind, but you out-dirty me by leaps and bounds. And, um, not that I have any reason for asking, but......um, they have rechargeable now?

Thanks, everyone. I do have the manual, on my hard drive.I suppose it's worth a trip to Kinko's to print it out. My problem is, I don't really know even the basics of motorcycle mechanics; however, I think the bigger problem I'm having is being intimidated. I suppose I'll have to just get right over that!
Posted via Mobile Device
It should say in the manual how to recharge the device.
As far as intimidation, that will go away with experience.

Old February 22nd, 2010, 02:26 PM   #11
2WheelGuy

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

If you lived in my neck of the woods I'd lend you a hand so you wouldn't have to do it yourself. I can't see you having any trouble finding an obliging gentleman in South Florida.
AFM #278
2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2010, 02:31 PM   #12
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Grn99kawi - anyway you could post or upload that manual here? I did a search and couldn't find any links to it, and it would be helpful to all of us if we had access to it.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2010, 02:35 PM   #13
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

And CC - good find, quick mind, I missed that, taking more sympathy on her plight. Glad to see there's a good sense of humor on here, from both of you.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2010, 04:15 PM   #14
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

It's very easy to do basic maintenance on the bike but i don't dare to go any further than that right now unless i have an experienced person to guide me. I'm sure you'll make some friends that will help you learn to do more than what you already know.

Old February 22nd, 2010, 04:47 PM   #15
DRivero
ninjette.org guru

Blue, I'm sure you're right. There's a kid (okay, he's 25) that lives down the street that builds his own bikes (and then wrecks them, but that's another story); he lives, breathes and eats motorcycles, practicall. He's offered to show me the ropes a few times, but between his being a firefighter, having what I can only assume is an extremely active social life, and riding as much as he can, he hasn't really insisted, when it comes down to it.

Like I said, the bike broke down on me on the side of the road and I fixed the problem, but had I been regularly checking things, it wouldn't have happened (okay, add "check for loose bolts occasionally to to-do list). I've started reading my manual....I'm sure I'll have plenty of boneheaded questions!

Old February 22nd, 2010, 04:51 PM   #16
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
There are no boneheaded questions. Try and do a search first and if you can't find it then someone here will be more than glad to answer your questions. We are one big happy family.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2010, 06:23 PM   #17
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Debbi - you can always post up or pm us if you want to do something and you aren't sure what to do - many of us have gotten quite proficient at walking folks through things online

Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:03 PM   #18
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

You can always try stocking your fridge with beer and "the kid" may come around and help you out anytime you need guidance

Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:24 PM   #19
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

The diy's in this venue are great for anybody to follow. U come up against a problem and there is an answer offered up from someone in this forum. I've done alot of mods, repairs etc just from the topics in here. It's truly easy sleezy once you do your first "solo" repair. The people in here are great for getting the job done.... you'll see I've taken mine for service and hell I come back with missing bolts, washers, etc. I always go over the bike when I get it home and find something missing everytime. I just go back ask for the missing items to be replaced bring it home and repair it myself.

oh by the way.... your brunette avatar surpasses the blonde.... *compliment*.... it gives a more "smokey & mysterious" look.....
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:02 PM   #20
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Here ya go: http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Main_Page

The pregen 250 is ridiculously easy to work on. Everything from changing the air filter, to adjusting the valves is relatively straight forward and well illustrated on the site linked above. Take your time, study the illustrations and instructions and don't rush through the operation. You'll be just fine. A lot of times you can google a few youtube videos of similar (and common) maintenance items as well. Just for reference.

Heh...I've even changed my own tires. Now THAT'S fun. Can't wait to do it for the gixxer *facepalm*.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote