ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 24th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #1
Rollingmenace
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 96 Ninja 250EX , 87 CBR 1000, 86 TRX 260R, 86 KXT 250, 84 ATC 200X, 82 ATC 250R (w/CR480)

Performance mods on pre gen

Ok other than the basics like pod filters and exhaust.. What options are out there to boost performance in a pre gen motor... Pistons, cams, head work Ect... I'm trying to get most out of motor without sacrificing reliability... How about sources.. Any members here do this type of work ... Give me some options .. Thanks
Rollingmenace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2013, 04:51 AM   #2
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

Best performance mod you can do is become a better rider.

ss brake lines and good tires will be way better then anything else you do to the bike.
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 25th, 2013, 09:11 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Bike_mods_for_beginners

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Why_per...e_good_for_you

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Can_I_i...ole_jet_kit%3F

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Battery...r_carb_removal

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_want_...uretor_jetting

Last futzed with by Motofool; April 25th, 2013 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Changed directions on type of advice
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2013, 09:25 AM   #4
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Given the extensive bike list I wonder if the OP is a veteran.

If so, a good question would be what will be the planned usage of the motorcycle?
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2013, 11:44 AM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
Given the extensive bike list I wonder if the OP is a veteran.
According to his first post, he has been riding for 29 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingmenace View Post
hello all
My name is Zach im new to the ninja scene but have been riding about 27 years .. i own a whole slew of bikes quads and atc's.. i just acquired a 96 Ninja 250............

Old April 25th, 2013, 12:42 PM   #6
Rollingmenace
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 96 Ninja 250EX , 87 CBR 1000, 86 TRX 260R, 86 KXT 250, 84 ATC 200X, 82 ATC 250R (w/CR480)

Thanks for the links fool.. Ill check them out ...

As far as usage I picked up a few motors the other day one to replace the one I shelled in the ninja ... The other is going to be for a project I'm going to make a street tracker out of .... Similar to this one pictured.

Mainly used for commuting around town but I may take it up and actually put some time in at the dirt track.. Possibly even hit the ice with it... So I want to really squeeze all the hp I can out of the motor I'm aware of the basics filters pipes jetting ect but I'm looking to really try and maximize hp ... Pistons ,cams ,head work ,back cut gears ect. Is there stuff on the market for this and is the gain worth the cost... And I still want to run on pump gas

I do have plenty rider experience .. Lol .. Like fool said been riding almost 30 years I have rode and raced everything with 2 3 and 4 wheels on pavement dirt and ice ... I've held mra licenses .. I currently been running quad c class colorado off road championship series... I ice race 2-3-4 wheels. 2008 colorado state ice racing champ novice bare tire class... And I leave Wednesday with a load of vintage ATC's (three wheelers) headed for Utah to hit the dunes and then to Idaho in June.... Plenty of experience here and that being said still learn new stuff every time I head out

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 26th, 2013, 08:01 AM   #7
rabies
time is running out....

Name: jesse

Motorcycle(s): pregen ninjari

oooooh i likey....

Old April 26th, 2013, 08:05 AM   #8
rabies
time is running out....

i was about to make the same thread.
i have an 04 pregen. not to thread jack. very relative.
what is the std bore for our motors? 62mm? and compression?
i see some 66mm 13.1 pistons on ebay. might have to do E85 or 93 octane though.
cams? having trouble finding sellers and parts.
iv built motors for cars before. bike stuff couldnt be harder.

take apart and clean
take to shop,
have them bore and hone to pistons you bring them.
new gaskets, oil pump, chain tensioner, chain.
reassemble with new bearings and rings.
assemble, tune carbs to match, brap brap

Old April 26th, 2013, 08:48 AM   #9
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Name: Byron

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ex250 1990

Quote:

As far as usage I picked up a few motors the other day one to replace the one I shelled in the ninja ... The other is going to be for a project I'm going to make a street tracker out of .... Similar to this one pictured.

Mainly used for commuting around town but I may take it up and actually put some time in at the dirt track.. Possibly even hit the ice with it... So I want to really squeeze all the hp I can out of the motor I'm aware of the basics filters pipes jetting ect but I'm looking to really try and maximize hp ... Pistons ,cams ,head work ,back cut gears ect. Is there stuff on the market for this and is the gain worth the cost... And I still want to run on pump gas

I do have plenty rider experience .. Lol .. Like fool said been riding almost 30 years I have rode and raced everything with 2 3 and 4 wheels on pavement dirt and ice ... I've held mra licenses .. I currently been running quad c class colorado off road championship series... I ice race 2-3-4 wheels. 2008 colorado state ice racing champ novice bare tire class... And I leave Wednesday with a load of vintage ATC's (three wheelers) headed for Utah to hit the dunes and then to Idaho in June.... Plenty of experience here and that being said still learn new stuff every time I head out
Guy that made that bike you have pictured was from here in AZ. He was selling it, not sure anymore but he had it for sale for like 1k. I checked it out it was really nice but not really street legal.

Old April 26th, 2013, 10:16 AM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Mainly used for commuting around town but I may take it up and actually put some time in at the dirt track.. Possibly even hit the ice with it... So I want to really squeeze all the hp I can out of the motor I'm aware of the basics filters pipes jetting ect but I'm looking to really try and maximize hp ...
You are welcome, Zach

For those purposes, and unless you will try for 105 mph commuting around town, on dirt and on ice, you may want to consider gaining torque at the expense of final speed via a bigger rear sprocket (may need a new, longer chain).

Old April 26th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #11
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

From the wikipedia:

Bore and Stroke 62.0 mm × 41.2 mm (2.44 in × 1.62 in)
Compression Ratio 12.4:1

The availability of parts for the 2008-2012 J-gen is much better than for the 87-07 F-gen. I think you will have a lot of difficulty finding aftermarket engine parts for the F gen. You may want to look for interchangability unless you want to have them built by a machinist. If you go the machinist route, I personally don't think the gains will be worth it. If you foresee spending any more than $4k you might as well get a 300, which has improvements across the board and higher potential gains from modifying the larger displacement engine.

Suspension work may get you from point A to point B a lot faster though, assuming there are curves in between.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #12
rabies
time is running out....

ebay has pistons of 66mm n 13.1 cr ..hmmm
shops dont cost much. i jus had a gsr motor punched out from 81mm to 82mm with 12.1cr
cost about $140 with cleaning. then3pistonsxx. gaskets.bearings. no more then 800total if ur smart
small motorcycle block cofuldnt be more. assemble myself. its like a lego set. $3-4k? uh ..no
or jus do a ex500 swap

Last futzed with by rabies; April 26th, 2013 at 10:24 PM.
rabies is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2013, 09:32 PM   #13
Rollingmenace
ninjette.org member

Thanks guys for all the comments ... I have seen that bike for sale .. As far as legality here in colorado their pretty easy to get along with here headlamp mirror and tail lamp is all that is required... I think that I'm gonna take several of his ideas and incorporate them into a build .. my brother works for a company that fabricates tanker trailers so i get all aluminum at scrap prices.. and one of his guys said he would tig the tank and body work for me... mmmm bare aluminuw all tigged up would look sweet...I'm starting with just a motor and a bare rolling frame and going from there I have a uline on a few nice pre gen rollers here... I guess it is what it is on these motors... Allthough I'd like more hp ill just deal as It will only be a ocassional cruiser .. I still can ride my girls 250 or my cbr 1000 if I want to get somewhere fast....