ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 21st, 2013, 09:11 PM   #1
DrewHamm974
The Black Ninja

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 1989 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

If it's not one thing.......

Well I have got my petcock leak temporarily fixed with a universal fuel shut off valve. So since I got it fixed this morning I decided to put my plastics on for the first time since I bought the bike. I got the front plastic and the bolts the man I bought it from gave me in a ziploc baggy labled Front Plastic Bolts and started putting them in.
I got all of them put in and noticed gas dripping and thought my valve failed so I started taking them out. The last bolt I took out I had gas flow a foot out the side of my tank and I freaked. Turns out he gave me the wrong bolts and they were to long and it went through the side of my tank,
I went and got some all thread and a thing of gas tank epoxy. My plan is tomorrow when I get home to put epoxy on the all thread stud bolt and run it though and just hold my plastic on with a nut. I'll cover the bolt with some epoxy and feather it to the outside of the tank to get it to hold.

What yall think about that idea? The bolt literally just threaded through the tank on the top left bolt hole.I can't afford a whole new tank so this is gonna have to work for now.
DrewHamm974
DrewHamm974 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2013, 09:16 PM   #2
smackenz
ninjette.org member

Name: Simon

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawi 250

Pics or it didnt happen
smackenz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2013, 06:29 AM   #3
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
This is pretty common on pregens. The owner did not give you the wrong bolts; two of the tank bolts are a few mm shorter than the other two. Kawasaki corrected this on newer pregens, but it's always a good idea to make sure the shorter bolts are in the top holes.

How hard did you have to turn the bolt in to puncture the tank?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackenz View Post
Pics or it didnt happen
More info here:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Replaci...asteners/bolts
and here:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...l_tank,_etc%3F

It's more common than you'd think, and surprisingly hard to fix.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 08:01 PM   #4
DrewHamm974
The Black Ninja

I barely snugged it. I let it tighten up on all of them and after it felt tight I snugged it just a little more. I didn't feel any resistance at all honestly, it just felt like I was getting her nice and snug. Today though I took that epoxy and covered the threads on my stud bolt. When i ran that through the tank about a half inch I put a nice solid coat on the outside of the bolt around a half inch. Let her dry for 4 hours, poured some gas in, and had her running. No leaks at all. Put the plastics on and then tightened a nut on that stud bold and cut it to length. So now I have a permanent stud out my tank but with the plastics on you would never be able to tell thhe difference. I got the repair hiding. I'm also about to post some pictures of my bike if you want to see them.

Old April 22nd, 2013, 08:29 PM   #5
kirk595x
ninjette.org guru

Name: Robbie

Motorcycle(s): 03' Ninja 250ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewHamm974 View Post
I barely snugged it. I let it tighten up on all of them and after it felt tight I snugged it just a little more. I didn't feel any resistance at all honestly, it just felt like I was getting her nice and snug. Today though I took that epoxy and covered the threads on my stud bolt. When i ran that through the tank about a half inch I put a nice solid coat on the outside of the bolt around a half inch. Let her dry for 4 hours, poured some gas in, and had her running. No leaks at all. Put the plastics on and then tightened a nut on that stud bold and cut it to length. So now I have a permanent stud out my tank but with the plastics on you would never be able to tell thhe difference. I got the repair hiding. I'm also about to post some pictures of my bike if you want to see them.
No resistance when it happened makes me think the previous owner may have been the one who originally puntured it and he may have done a temp fix to sell it.
kirk595x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:37 AM   #6
quicklooker
ninjette.org member

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R '07

Check this out. This dude got it welded for $50, but that included some extra work so you may be able to get it done for cheaper. Just make sure to clean out the tank VERY VERY VERY well.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=130076
quicklooker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2013, 10:43 AM   #7
DrewHamm974
The Black Ninja

That's what I was thinking as well.I may not be a master mechanic but I've done my fair share of repairs and I know there is no way I would torque it enough to puncture the tank.... I might get it welded but for right now the epoxy is holding very well. As for the pictures, I took them but I cannot seem to find my cable to connect my camera to the computer. I will as soon as I can because I want y'all to see my baby. As far as the repair went it seems whenever the bolt went through the tank, the small weld around the bolt bracket ( thats what it looks like anyways is a bracket) on the tank seems to have busted so I had to put the epoxy around it as well. Now to sand and put a coat of new paint. The gas ate mine off the tank.

Old April 23rd, 2013, 01:11 PM   #8
quicklooker
ninjette.org member

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R '07

I guess that will work for now but I'm sure you know it's by no means a permanent fix. Eventually you're gunna need to take the tank off and/or that epoxy is gunna dissolve.

Can't wait to see the pics.
quicklooker is offline   Reply With Quote