ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 28th, 2009, 06:03 AM   #1
Hokie11
ninjette.org member

Name: Vinh

Motorcycle(s): Black 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

clutchless shifting?

I thought I saw a thread on this, but I can't seem to find it..

I assumed it was bad to not use the clutch when shifting, so I always use it, but then a few times by accident (since im still trying to get use to it), I shifted without pulling clutch at all... and it seemed fine.. I didn't hear any irregularities or grinding, but once again, I only put 10 miles on my first bike, so I am not accustomed to all the expected noises

What can I expect if I don't use the clutch? Should I even be doing that at all? Will it hurt the system?

oh and another thing... i can kick it into first gear without even touching the clutch.. at a standstill... is that normal?

Old July 28th, 2009, 09:14 AM   #2
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie11 View Post
What can I expect if I don't use the clutch? Should I even be doing that at all? Will it hurt the system?

oh and another thing... i can kick it into first gear without even touching the clutch.. at a standstill... is that normal?

There's lots of debate on this subject and I raced with guys that never used the clutch to up shift. I sometimes up shift with out the clutch and if you're doing it and it feels nice and smooth, I say rock-on!

As far as kicking it down into first without touching the clutch.. at a stand still... err... Doesn't the bike jump forward and then stall?
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #3
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

Quote:
i can kick it into first gear without even touching the clutch.. at a standstill... is that normal?
not normal at all, if you do this your bike should stall...
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 09:58 AM   #4
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:

Yeah, thats normal. But not really a normal thing to be doing.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 09:58 AM   #5
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

bad idea- there's a clutch on your bike for a reason, and it's not decoration....

Old July 28th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #6
Hokie11
ninjette.org member

right, it does stall, but i was use to how in a car, you cant shift gears at all without engaging the clutch... so i wanted to make sure my cable wasnt f'd up

Old July 28th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #7
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

I have rarely used clutch-less up shifting but have done it to get going from a dead stop in a hurry(accelerating from a light when lane split), always clutch to downshift since the clutch isn't a slipper clutch.
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #8
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

I was a semi truck driver b4 I got layed off...Truckers float gears all the time..
If your engine is at the right speed, rpm's, you can switch gears easily without using the clutch...If your engine isnt at the right speed, you'll be grinding gears and slamming it into gear, which isn't good for your transmission..
Your better off using the clutch unless your good at floating gears..
AnarchoMoltov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #9
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

You can clutchless upshift with no adverse affects the higher the rpms the better. Nearly all sportbikes are designed for clutchless upshifting. I would NOT clutchless downshift. Unless you want to tear something up.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 11:12 AM   #10
Hokie11
ninjette.org member

good tips, thanks!

Old July 28th, 2009, 11:15 AM   #11
almost40

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Dont forget to lift the throttle in between shifts

Old July 28th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #12
n4v1n
ninjette.org member

Name: navin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnarchoMoltov View Post
I was a semi truck driver b4 I got layed off...Truckers float gears all the time..
If your engine is at the right speed, rpm's, you can switch gears easily without using the clutch...If your engine isnt at the right speed, you'll be grinding gears and slamming it into gear, which isn't good for your transmission..
Your better off using the clutch unless your good at floating gears..
Damn dude semis can have like 20 or more gears, more power to ya.
n4v1n is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #13
Hokie11
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40 View Post
Dont forget to lift the throttle in between shifts
do you mean fully release throttle or just a little blip?

ive heard of powershifting where u dont release at all, and speedshifting where you blip it.. same thing?>

Old July 28th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #14
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4v1n View Post
Damn dude semis can have like 20 or more gears, more power to ya.
Ive been through yer neck of the woods alot, Baytown got all them truck stops there...Pilot, Flyin J, TA....right off of I-10
AnarchoMoltov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #15
kkim

you can shift w/o the clutch... I always use the clutch for every shift, up and down.

learn to use your clutch... your transmission will last longer. ever watch the GP bikes on board cameras? they are always using their clutch... wonder why?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #16
kazam58
Sarcasm: Yea that'll work

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

I always use the clutch, it's smoother, you have more control, and your parts will last longer. No sense in racing your 250 on the street.
Kelly, racers don't use the clutch to upshift...at least not the ones that I've seen.

Old July 28th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #17
Hokie11
ninjette.org member

yeah i dont plan on racing... just weighing out the pros and cons and affects it has on the bike

Old July 28th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #18
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazam58 View Post
Kelly, racers don't use the clutch to upshift...at least not the ones that I've seen.
I'll have to check my DVDs... thought I saw them using it (well, Rossi, at least) on every shift, up and down.

Old July 28th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #19
ScorpionNinja
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

those Racers can Afford to clutchless-Up shift..... cuz if sumin' breaks they dont pay for it! Thats what the racing teams mech/techs are for...

i dont do that, but afew times i have, thou didnt mean too. my tranny seems just fine still.

oooh clutchless-upshifting on a high HP motorcycle can result in popping the front wheel up and wiping out!
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #20
almost40

Quote:
do you mean fully release throttle or just a little blip?

ive heard of powershifting where u dont release at all, and speedshifting where you blip it.. same thing?>
blip it is correct. I do both, sometimes I use it,(corners) sometimes I dont.(down the straights) Its a personal thing its up to you. Kelly has a point that clutches are cheaper and eaiser to replace than gears.

Old July 28th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #21
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpionNinja View Post
those Racers can Afford to clutchless-Up shift..... cuz if sumin' breaks they dont pay for it! Thats what the racing teams mech/techs are for...
I am sure their pay will be affected if / when they lose a couple of gears and drop out of a deciding race losing a rider / constructors championship. Team owners frown on such things.
sofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #22
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I'll have to check my DVDs... thought I saw them using it (well, Rossi, at least) on every shift, up and down.
Nope. Some use the clutch for downshifting, but none of them use the clutch for upshifting. It's not necessary on the downshifts either, but out of habit and for absolute control of rear traction, many do. Rossi does sometimes have the clutch partially disengaged during some corners, but he does that less and less now. Used to be a way to finetune the operation of the slipper clutch. But both the mechanicals and the electronics controlling them have improved to the point that it's less necessary for the rider to manually control the clutch slippage.

When magazine writers get a chance to play on the GP bikes at the end of the season, one of the things they always comment on is how slick the shifting is, no clutch needed either up or down once the bike is rolling.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #23
kkim

are you suggesting riding a bike daily w/o using the clutch?

Old July 28th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #24
mike_sema
ninjette.org guru

Name: mike

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

I hope not

Old July 28th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #25
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I use the clutch 100% of the time on the ninjette. I was just responding to comments about whether or not folks on actual racebikes use their clutch. On track (not with the ninjette) I sometimes don't use the clutch on upshifts, though I tend to revert back to using it for at least a partial squeeze. Especially if my toe gets tired. Here's a decent article from Sport Rider on how and why it could be useful to learn the technique.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 11:29 PM   #26
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Clutch is there to help match the speed of the gears to the engine. Just match engine speed... its amazing how many people drive a clutch and don't understand rev matching. You don't exactly need to use your clutch, but it is good habit to do so. I always use my clutch..

Good link Alex, everyone read it.
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2009, 05:13 AM   #27
Hokie11
ninjette.org member

good read, thanks alex!

on a side note, i just dislocated my thumb out of its socket (then put it back in myself) last night during rock climbing and now cant even ride haha... at least now i wont have to do much at work since i cant even hold a pencil!