ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old July 18th, 2019, 09:31 PM   #1
nocturncal
ninjette.org member

Name: Cal

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Using Wide Scissor Lift Stand?

I've just bought a scissor lift that I wanted to experiment with, but I can't find a good point to put the scissor lift under that allows me to lift the bike up while being balanced. Any tips with using these scissor Motorcycle lifts?

https://ibb.co/qrFV671
nocturncal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2019, 06:31 AM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
That might be a tough one.

Those are great for frames with double down-tubes where the engine sump doesn't drop below the frame - like most Big Twins.

With the Ninja's frame type (lack of lower frame) and pipe/sump design you may have a tough time getting a flat surface to lift from.

You may be able to make some type of plate out of wood that could get you a flat surface to lift from, but be careful. With that in-place it would be hard to change the oil.

A rear stand would be handier I would think. A front wheel chock is also super handy to keep the cycle stable when using other stands.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 19th, 2019, 10:08 AM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Yikes! Those scare me!!! Too easy for bike to topple off. I’d much prefer to hang a bike, then it can’t fall because it’s at lowest point already.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2019, 10:28 AM   #4
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Haven't lifted a Ninja with a flat lift. The guys have lifted their dirtbikes with one, but for the Ninja and his Triumph we use this one:

https://abbastandsusa.com/product-de...ky-lift&pid=44 h

Pins go in the swing-arm pivot point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20160717-00534.jpg (141.7 KB, 4 views)
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2019, 11:43 AM   #5
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturncal View Post
I've just bought a scissor lift that I wanted to experiment with, but I can't find a good point to put the scissor lift under that allows me to lift the bike up while being balanced. Any tips with using these scissor Motorcycle lifts?

https://ibb.co/qrFV671
That flat type of lift would require you to become inventive in effectively creating some sort of "cradle" to safely secure and balance the bike package. Specially crafted for the particular bike you are working on. Short of that, I'd be quite concerned with stability and toppling.

A rear paddock stand and a lower triple, pin type front stand have had a Triumph 675 lifted up in my garage a couple months now....quite steady and secure. Affordable, these are more generic stands and can be (and have been) used on many different bikes, certainly not limited to 1.

I seem to remember a recent thread on front and rear stands ...was it here or another forum?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg triumph21.jpg (134.7 KB, 2 views)

Last futzed with by ducatiman; July 20th, 2019 at 08:34 AM.
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2019, 02:17 PM   #6
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Yup, I've done as Jay's suggested. Take piece of wood and cut out holes for oil-filter and oil-drain bolts. Then shape wood to extend and touch across swing-arm pivot. Then use scissor-jack with centre below somewhere between oil-filter and swing-arm pivot so bike is balanced on top. Even then, it's still tipsy top-heavy and scary.

Physics dictates that 3 contact points are most stable. Three-legged tables are more stable than 4 and can sit on uneven surfaces.

Lifting bike by 3 points, such as rear swingarm stand along with stem lift in front is most stable. Or I like hanging front end from ceiling rafters.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2019, 01:50 AM   #7
nocturncal
ninjette.org member

Name: Cal

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Awesome thanks for the advice. Sounds like making a wood plate is the best way to go.

I've got front and rear stands so it may be a while before I try to take a plate. I swear my little garage in San Francisco is running it of room from all the garage farkles I've been getting, wrenching is addictive!
nocturncal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2019, 08:47 PM   #8
NinjaBraap
NinjaBraap

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 636, 2016 Yamaha R3 (Street/Track), 2019 Ninja 400 Project Racebike

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Haven't lifted a Ninja with a flat lift. The guys have lifted their dirtbikes with one, but for the Ninja and his Triumph we use this one:

https://abbastandsusa.com/product-de...ky-lift&pid=44 h

Pins go in the swing-arm pivot point.

Man are you actually paying the full $700 for that lift on a 88-07 250?
NinjaBraap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2019, 09:30 AM   #9
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Husband bought it to lift his Triumph, actually. But it works for the Ninjette, too.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2019, 03:58 PM   #10
NinjaBraap
NinjaBraap

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 636, 2016 Yamaha R3 (Street/Track), 2019 Ninja 400 Project Racebike

Ah gotcha. Surprised it worked on the Ninja, usually those style lifts require specific adapters for the bike it's lifting. I bought a cheaper version for my ZX6, but they don't even make the pin for my year, so I'm having it fabbed.
NinjaBraap is offline   Reply With Quote