ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 11th, 2017, 02:33 PM   #1
LR44
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250R

Weird Oil Leak

A couple weeks ago, I finished a rebuild of my swing arm and installed a new rear tire. During the rebuild, the bike was resting on the oil screen cover bolts with the rear end supported by jacks (one for each kickstand).

I come outside a couple days after I finished all of the above and there's an oil spot underneath my bike. Not pleased. I first look underneath the bike to see if resting it on the oil screen cover loosened the screws. I check with a torque wrench and they're all gravy. No leakage around the seam of the cover. I also checked the drain screw and the oil filter screw just in case. Both are fine with no leakage.

I was due to install a new sprocket anyway so I pulled the sprocket cover and cleaned the area with a work towel. I see oil on the towel, so I wipe the area down thoroughly and within about a half hour after installing the sprocket, I notice a trail of oil appear. The oil appears to be pooling under the starter motor (see the attached photo - the red arrow is where the trail of oil appeared). Again, not pleased.

A look at Ron Ayers suggests to me that this is due to a bad starter motor gasket, but I haven't started the bike in a couple months. Am I correct or could this be something else?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0129.jpg (125.3 KB, 2 views)
LR44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2017, 02:43 PM   #2
LR44
ninjette.org member

Weird Oil Leak

A couple weeks ago, I finished a rebuild of my swing arm and installed a new rear tire. During the rebuild, the bike was resting on the oil screen cover bolts with the rear end supported by jacks (one for each kickstand).

I come outside a couple days after I finished all of the above and there's an oil spot underneath my bike. Not pleased. I first look underneath the bike to see if resting it on the oil screen cover loosened the screws. I check with a torque wrench and they're all gravy. No leakage around the seam of the cover. I also checked the drain screw and the oil filter screw just in case. Both are fine with no leakage.

I was due to install a new sprocket anyway so I pulled the sprocket cover and cleaned the area with a work towel. I see oil on the towel, so I wipe the area down thoroughly and within about a half hour after installing the sprocket, I notice a trail of oil appear. The oil appears to be pooling under the starter motor (see the attached photo - the red arrow is where the trail of oil appeared). Again, not pleased.

A look at Ron Ayers suggests to me that this is due to a bad starter motor gasket, but I haven't started the bike in a couple months. Am I correct or could this be something else?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0129.jpg (125.3 KB, 0 views)

Old October 11th, 2017, 06:31 PM   #3
LR44
ninjette.org member

Weird Oil Leak

So I walked outside yesterday and found a oil spot underneath my bike. I checked the usual suspects: the drain bolt, the oil filter bolt and the oil screen cover bolts. All of them were properly torqued to spec and no leakage was found around these areas.

After taking a closer look, the oil looked like it was dripping from somewhere behind the sprocket cover. Seeing as I had to install a new sprocket anyway, I took off the cover and cleaned up the gunk with work towels. Some of the gunk was laced with oil, so I knew the leak was in that area. After installing the new sprocket, I waited about a half hour to see if I could trace where the oil was coming from. Sure enough, I saw a streak of oil develop from beneath my starter motor (indicated by the red arrow in the attached picture).

I took a towel and forced it into the gap between the engine and the starter motor and found a substantial amount of oil had pooled there. Diagrams on Ron Ayers would suggest the issue is a bad starter motor gasket, but could this be something else? I haven't run the bike in a couple months so I suspect the onset of cold temperatures at night is why this issue is rearing its head, but what do I know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0129.jpg (125.3 KB, 0 views)

Old October 11th, 2017, 06:43 PM   #4
LR44
ninjette.org member

Oil Leak - Help

So I walked outside yesterday and found a oil spot underneath my bike. I checked the usual suspects: the drain bolt, the oil filter bolt and the oil screen cover bolts. All of them were properly torqued to spec and no leakage was found around these areas.

After taking a closer look, the oil looked like it was dripping from somewhere behind the sprocket cover. Seeing as I had to install a new sprocket anyway, I took off the cover and cleaned up the gunk with work towels. Some of the gunk was laced with oil, so I knew the leak was in that area. After installing the new sprocket, I waited about a half hour to see if I could trace where the oil was coming from. Sure enough, I saw a streak of oil develop from beneath my starter motor (indicated by the red arrow in the attached picture).

I took a towel and forced it into the gap between the engine and the starter motor and found a substantial amount of oil had pooled there. Diagrams on Ron Ayers would suggest the issue is a bad starter motor gasket, but could this be something else? I haven't run the bike in a couple months so I suspect the onset of cold temperatures at night is why this issue is rearing its head, but what do I know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0129.jpg (241.1 KB, 0 views)

Old October 13th, 2017, 08:34 AM   #5
LR44
ninjette.org member

Oil Leak - Help

I walked outside a week ago and found an sizable oil spot under my bike. I haven't started it in a couple months as its still a work in progress. I checked the usual suspects: the drain bolt, the oil filter bolt and the oil screen cover bolts. All of them were properly torqued and there was no leakage around the seams.

After a lot of frustration and searching, I determined that somehow oil was pooling underneath my starter motor and was dripping down behind my sprocket cover (see red arrow in attached image). Before I go the whole nine yards and pull the starter motor, has anyone experienced this issue before? I thought it may be a worn starter motor gasket but what do I know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0129.jpg (241.1 KB, 7 views)

Old October 13th, 2017, 01:17 PM   #6
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR44 View Post
I walked outside a week ago and found an sizable oil spot under my bike. I haven't started it in a couple months as its still a work in progress. I checked the usual suspects: the drain bolt, the oil filter bolt and the oil screen cover bolts. All of them were properly torqued and there was no leakage around the seams.

After a lot of frustration and searching, I determined that somehow oil was pooling underneath my starter motor and was dripping down behind my sprocket cover (see red arrow in attached image). Before I go the whole nine yards and pull the starter motor, has anyone experienced this issue before? I thought it may be a worn starter motor gasket but what do I know.
Any oil directly under your counter shaft sprocket? Maybe a counter shaft seal?

Bill

Old October 13th, 2017, 01:31 PM   #7
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Pull the starter and check the O-ring. If it's flattened, replace it with new one so it's rounded. I've reinforced with some RTV as well.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2017, 12:36 AM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

All threads merged. Brian - it looks like some of these got caught in the spam prevention process. They go into a queue to be approved, but are not deleted. Apologies for taking this long to get to them.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2017, 08:37 PM   #9
LR44
ninjette.org member

Thanks Alex - my apologies for submitting so many posts. I'm a newbie and didn't realize that was something that might happen.

Lesson learned!