Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old December 12th, 2013, 01:18 PM   #1
kaosbandit
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Yamaha FZ1, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Dual Sport - The Unexpected Passion

Latest blog post on Spirit Strike. Check it out!

http://www.spiritstrike.com/blog/201...pected-passion

Old December 12th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I had a Yamaha dual sport back in the 80s. It sucked in the dirt and sucked in the street. I still rode the piss out of it but I wouldn't get another one.

Old December 12th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14

Old December 12th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #4
Overkill
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2001 ex250

I have always loved dual sport bikes. What i have found is that the
big dual sports are good on the roads but not so much on the trails and
the small dual sports suck on the road but do good on the trails. It is in
every way a compromise but so much fun.
Overkill is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 12th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #5
stubshaft
Rode with the Dinosaurs..

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
Man Oh Man!!! That was ny very first bike. Brings back sooo many memories.
stubshaft is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 13th, 2013, 07:11 AM   #6
vman1313
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): '14 Honda NC700X; '14 Honda CRF250L; '07 Lifan 200

Nice read.

I have a Kawi 300 and a Honda CRF250L (dual sport that has CBR250 engine in it). I have stated more then once that if I would have gotten a dual sport before my sport bike, I would have never gotten a sport bike. Heck, if Kawi comes out with a Dual Sport 300cc bike...I will sell both of my bikes for it.

www.northgariders.com
NuBe4Life!!!
vman1313 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old December 13th, 2013, 07:23 AM   #7
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Sounds fun... But then again I take my 300 as far down a goat path as it will manage

Old December 13th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #8
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Back in the days when dual sports were easily destroyed in the dirt. 1977, worlds better than earlier dual sports, but not as good as what they have today. Dig the metal flake helmet and red toughskins jeans. Ah to be 13 again and head off into the woods right out of the back yard!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dt100.jpg (131.1 KB, 9 views)
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #9
kaosbandit
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
I have always loved dual sport bikes. What i have found is that the
big dual sports are good on the roads but not so much on the trails and
the small dual sports suck on the road but do good on the trails. It is in
every way a compromise but so much fun.
I agree 100%. My KLR does pretty good in most everything I have tried except mud. Mud is my nemesis!

I may be slow, but I'll get there

Old December 16th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #10
kaosbandit
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
Back in the days when dual sports were easily destroyed in the dirt. 1977, worlds better than earlier dual sports, but not as good as what they have today. Dig the metal flake helmet and red toughskins jeans. Ah to be 13 again and head off into the woods right out of the back yard!
Great pic!

Old December 16th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #11
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

I'm thinking about getting a dual-sport again as a second bike.

Having a hard time deciding on which one. Had a WR250R once that was awesome, but I can't find one around or afford a brand new one.

I like the KLR650 and the KLX250s. And both are around and priced right. I heard the same thing - small ds better off road, large ds better on road. Either one would be fun for me though.
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2014, 08:16 AM   #12
kaosbandit
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dog View Post
I'm thinking about getting a dual-sport again as a second bike.

Having a hard time deciding on which one. Had a WR250R once that was awesome, but I can't find one around or afford a brand new one.

I like the KLR650 and the KLX250s. And both are around and priced right. I heard the same thing - small ds better off road, large ds better on road. Either one would be fun for me though.
The wr250R and the KLX250 are also bikes I have been thinking about picking up. I have also considered plating a KTM 525EXC or a WR250F.

Old January 15th, 2014, 05:23 PM   #13
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosbandit View Post
The wr250R and the KLX250 are also bikes I have been thinking about picking up. I have also considered plating a KTM 525EXC or a WR250F.
KTM or WR plated would be awesome! Too bad I live in WI and don't have that option. Any other bikes you are thinking about looking into?

I'll probably end up getting a WR250R or Ninja 300 as a second bike. I've owned one of each before and love them both for different reasons.

My current list:
- Suzuki DRZ400SM or S
- Suzuki DR650SE
- Suzuki SV650S
- Yamaha WR250R or X
- Kawasaki KLX250S or SF
- Kawasaki KLR650
- Kawasaki Ninja 300

Old January 15th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #14
old3
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, KTM EXC610SMR

The 4t TE Huskys were 50 state legal starting in 06, the KTM EXCs in 2007.
old3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2014, 05:45 PM   #15
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by old3 View Post
The 4t TE Huskys were 50 state legal starting in 06, the KTM EXCs in 2007.
I'll have to look into those. I didn't know they had street legal models. That would be more entertaining for me in a devilish kind of way.

And I don't need long highway distances - only quick trips of 15-20 minutes at a time to work or school. Thanks for the tip.

Old January 15th, 2014, 06:00 PM   #16
old3
ninjette.org sage

The Huskys were available in 250, 310, 450 and 510 models pre BMW. They all have very close ratio gearboxes.

The street legal KTMs were the 450, 525 and 530, along with the 2012, 13, 14 EXc350 and 500. They all have wide ratio gearboxes, more street friendly.

The Huskys run out of RPM up top for faster cruising if geared for trails. The KTM 450/5XX series bikes can all be geared for real trails and still cruise at 70 MPH if you need to.

The Husky TE610 is the granddaddy of the KTM engines, (long story) and it was redesigned a bit in 2006 to be a streetier DS bike. It gained a few lns. and got a bit smoother. Great bikes too. Smooth engine, WR gearbox too. F.I. added in 07, bevame a 630 with a new DOHC head in... maybe 2011 before BMW sold the company and it got the axe, along with all the bikes 450/510.

Old January 15th, 2014, 06:29 PM   #17
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Bought an ’05 KLR250 last month: had 1600 miles and has never been in the dirt or dropped. Rode it around today to run a few errands (30 miles or so), then switched over to the Ninjette. Little Ninja kind of sucked at first in comparison: cramped riding position; leaned forward; had to wrap the RPMs pretty high to get any power.

The baby KLR will go 70 just fine, but there’s not much room for too much more speed. Also, the KLR is squirrellier at speed in that if you wiggle the handlebars back & forth you could get into an uncontrollable situation: much more disconcerting than the hands-off Ninja oscillation between 40 and 50 mph.

Other than not having an electric starter, the KLR250 is a nice all round bike for every day riding.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2014, 08:00 PM   #18
old3
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
the hands-off Ninja oscillation between 40 and 50 mph.
Inspect your steering head bearings for play and replace if loose as the races will be trashed. All Balls tapered roller replacements is likely the cure to this wobble.

Old January 15th, 2014, 08:14 PM   #19
kaosbandit
ninjette.org member

Quote:
KTM or WR plated would be awesome! Too bad I live in WI and don't have that option. Any other bikes you are thinking about looking into?

I'll probably end up getting a WR250R or Ninja 300 as a second bike. I've owned one of each before and love them both for different reasons.

My current list:
- Suzuki DRZ400SM or S
- Suzuki DR650SE
- Suzuki SV650S
- Yamaha WR250R or X
- Kawasaki KLX250S or SF
- Kawasaki KLR650
- Kawasaki Ninja 300
I also like the DRZ400, but I really want something as small and light as possible for trails. The KLR650 I have is just a lot of work on the really technical stuff and I am still pretty new to offroad riding. I don't want to get rid of my KLR, just add something a lot smaller for those OHV trail days.

Old January 15th, 2014, 10:16 PM   #20
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

I loved the WR250R I had. The build quality is above average. High-tech engine and nice suspension in a pretty light package. I think you'd really like it and it would fit your needs.

I'm really leaning towards the WR250R. It's one of my favorite bikes I've ever owned. I will have one again --- oh yes, it will be mine.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old January 16th, 2014, 04:22 PM   #21
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

I'm 100% planning to get a dual sport/supermoto (or both hehehe) this spring/summer. What I get will be dependent on when/if my CBR sells and what kind of deals there are... I can get a pretty fair deal on a 2014 CRF250L with good financing, but I'm somewhat leaning towards a used DRZ (preferably SM but S would still be awesome) simply for more power from the same weight. Wouldn't mind a DR650 either, converting one of those to an SM would be lots of fun with all that lazy low end torque. And super simple maintenance on all three of those bikes will be nice compared to a compact high performance 4 banger
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2014, 04:46 PM   #22
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I may not be able to drop money on a competent dual sport/supermoto (at least not without parting with my ninjette) but I'm definitely getting an old 125cc dirt bike for trails riding and that should tide me over until I can afford a wr250r/x which is my dream dual sport/supermoto. (in blue) Honestly the best bike combination that money can buy (imo) is a dual sport/supermoto and a sport bike/something that'll comfortably take a passenger out on a ride and be fun on a track or something that feels and looks amazing like a triumph street triple.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2014, 05:19 PM   #23
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
I'm 100% planning to get a dual sport/supermoto (or both hehehe) this spring/summer. What I get will be dependent on when/if my CBR sells and what kind of deals there are... I can get a pretty fair deal on a 2014 CRF250L with good financing, but I'm somewhat leaning towards a used DRZ (preferably SM but S would still be awesome) simply for more power from the same weight. Wouldn't mind a DR650 either, converting one of those to an SM would be lots of fun with all that lazy low end torque. And super simple maintenance on all three of those bikes will be nice compared to a compact high performance 4 banger
I like all of the dual sport bikes for the most part. It's funny when you really get down to it any of them would be awesome - but each has small positive and negative traits, but hard to go wrong with any of them. The DRZ is very cool - it will probably be between a DRZ and WR.

Those DR650s turned into supermotos are really cool, there are a few videos on youtube of some builds.

Too many excellent bikes out there - I'd love to own like 40-50 bikes in a barn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
I may not be able to drop money on a competent dual sport/supermoto (at least not without parting with my ninjette) but I'm definitely getting an old 125cc dirt bike for trails riding and that should tide me over until I can afford a wr250r/x which is my dream dual sport/supermoto. (in blue) Honestly the best bike combination that money can buy (imo) is a dual sport/supermoto and a sport bike/something that'll comfortably take a passenger out on a ride and be fun on a track or something that feels and looks amazing like a triumph street triple.
That's what I'm trying to accomplish - have the faster SS bike and a more utilitarian bike to commute with and have some different kinds of fun, like off-roading, that the zx6r can't do.

Old January 16th, 2014, 05:25 PM   #24
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
That's what I'm trying to accomplish - have the faster SS bike and a more utilitarian bike to commute with and have some different kinds of fun, like off-roading with, that the zx6r can't do.
I feel like it's the best way to go, though I may keep my ninja 300 long term as a daily commuter bike if I get a supersport. I don't know for sure what I'll do since 3 bikes feels like a bit much and 2 seems just right (not including dedicated dirt/track bikes since you don't pay insurance on those) Honestly I don't feel as though a supersport is the ideal bike for me at this point, A triumph street triple R with clip-on handlebars is an amazing mix of comfortable, stylish, and powerful as a street bike. what I do know is that there is no bike combination that will satisfy me that doesn't include at least a dirtbike with a dual sport being far more convenient (don't have to load it into a truck to head to trails)
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2014, 05:42 PM   #25
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
I feel like it's the best way to go, though I may keep my ninja 300 long term as a daily commuter bike if I get a supersport.
Having a 250 or 300, a 600 and a dual sport would be great. An insane fast road bike, a commuter road bike and a dual sport - great combo. That would be my ideal, but really it's hard enough to swing 1 bike, so adding 1 more isn't easy.

But I have to get another bike. I want to ride to places and leave my bike outside in public at work and at school. I just don't trust my mint condition Ninja getting touched or sat on, etc. So in order to bike whenever and wherever without fears I must get another smaller bike. But it has to be cool and do stuff my 600 doesn't.

Old January 16th, 2014, 09:33 PM   #26
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

I just wish the Jap companies would sell a 450cc dual sport/supermoto. I want it to be reliable, 6 speed, and fuel injected.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2014, 11:30 PM   #27
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
I just wish the Jap companies would sell a 450cc dual sport/supermoto. I want it to be reliable, 6 speed, and fuel injected.
A WR450R would be amazingly awesome! I think it could be a big seller as everyone always mentions a 450 version being so desired.

The only thing I can see keeping it from being made is pricing. With the WR250R being like $7k brand new a 450 would have to be like $10k or so. I don't know how many people would buy it at that price.

I'll keep dreaming and hope it arrives in the future. But it will be expensive if it ever does get made. A real fantasy bike.

Old January 17th, 2014, 02:29 PM   #28
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
A WR450R would be amazingly awesome! I think it could be a big seller as everyone always mentions a 450 version being so desired.

The only thing I can see keeping it from being made is pricing. With the WR250R being like $7k brand new a 450 would have to be like $10k or so. I don't know how many people would buy it at that price.

I'll keep dreaming and hope it arrives in the future. But it will be expensive if it ever does get made. A real fantasy bike.
Honda could do it for a more reasonable price. Just look at their CRF250L, $5000. They could make a CRF450L for under $8000. Their CRF450X trail bike is $8500. The XR650L is $6,690 but it is a 20 year old bike. Too heavy, carbed, dated suspension, ugly, etc..

If any of the Japs could make a 450 dual sport for under $8k I'd be all over it. Well it would need to have all the stuff I mentioned before and need to be under 350 pounds wet. So yeah, I'll keep dreaming as well.

Heck, I would purchase an updated XR650L. Come on Honda!
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2014, 02:44 PM   #29
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

I think part of the reason the CRF250L's price is so low is because it uses the CBR250 engine and has not the greatest chassis, though I'm still considering one. There's no super reliable, street worthy 450 thumper they can steal from another bike.

A lot of guys just plate WR400/426/450s, I hear they're some of the easiest to get street legal. Of course you have to live in a state that allows that though. But most of those trail bikes, even if they have decent valve adjustment intervals, still need the oil changed like every 600 miles. That could mean changing the oil every week for a lot of people... I'd bet that would get old fast IMO.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2014, 02:55 PM   #30
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Honda could do it for a more reasonable price. Just look at their CRF250L, $5000. They could make a CRF450L for under $8000.
I completely agree with you. But I'm not as much of a fan of the CRF250L as the WR250R. The frame on the WR is aluminum and the engine is very high tech. The CRF has a steel frame and 33% or so weaker engine that doesn't have Ti valves like the WR.

Don't get me wrong - I love the Honda offering - but it isn't quite as premium or performance oriented as the Yamaha in the 250 DS category.

A CRF450L would be awesome though, maybe I'd overlook the frame and suspension if it really ripped. Not sure.

Old January 17th, 2014, 02:59 PM   #31
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Another good idea - a KLX450S. Oh yeah!

Kawasaki could get it right and get some premium stuff in there without getting too crazy expensive. I love the KLX and a bigger version would be awesome. I could actually see Kawasaki doing this as they like to find new markets and test the waters with different types of designs.

Old January 17th, 2014, 08:05 PM   #32
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Found this information in the DRZ400SM review concerning Japanese 450 Dual Sports - why they don't exist and probably never will
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2013/...d-ride-review/

"I love supermotards. I used to race dirt bikes, and supermotards are the closest thing to a stripped down, ultra-light motocross bike … with road worthy tires. I have often wondered why more Japanese manufacturers do not offer supermotards for sale here in the U.S., particularly in a displacement matching that of their top motocross machines (450 cc). I have even asked Japanese engineers when I have had the chance “Why not?”

The answer usually has something to do with the cost of developing a 450 cc single for street use with much greater durability and much longer service intervals than a motocrosser. I am sure it also has something to do with a market analysis (i.e., whether or not U.S. consumers would buy such a thing). So if you are holding your breath waiting for your favorite Japanese motocross 450 cc ripper to show up as a street legal supermoto, good luck."

Old January 17th, 2014, 08:45 PM   #33
old3
ninjette.org sage

TGIF KTM and Husky and Husaberg and Beta!

Steel frames can be awesome, I'd buy steel over a twin spar aluminum frame every time. PITA to work on, no real benefit. Our KXF450 was a nightmare. The KTMs are a treat to deal with, because the room afforded by the frames.

The Japanese don't build a 450 because they don't break much new ground in smaller market niches. KTM is growing like crazy because they do. Modular builds using the same frames, suspensions etc and engine cases could house a 250cc to 600cc displacement with just bore/stroke changes. Japan concentrates on a few premier models to pull the sales along, and what is selling in growing markets like India and China at some point. Bold New Graphics and decades old designs just keep paying the bills under the MX bikes and SS bikes spotlights.

Shame cause they can build some great stuff, they just choose not to.

Old January 17th, 2014, 09:32 PM   #34
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
TGIF KTM and Husky and Husaberg and Beta!

Steel frames can be awesome, I'd buy steel over a twin spar aluminum frame every time. PITA to work on, no real benefit. Our KXF450 was a nightmare. The KTMs are a treat to deal with, because the room afforded by the frames.

The Japanese don't build a 450 because they don't break much new ground in smaller market niches. KTM is growing like crazy because they do. Modular builds using the same frames, suspensions etc and engine cases could house a 250cc to 600cc displacement with just bore/stroke changes. Japan concentrates on a few premier models to pull the sales along, and what is selling in growing markets like India and China at some point. Bold New Graphics and decades old designs just keep paying the bills under the MX bikes and SS bikes spotlights.

Shame cause they can build some great stuff, they just choose not to.
Interesting information. I found a dealer that has a 2014 KTM 350 EXC-F and a 2014 KTM 500 EXC. How do you feel about these models?

I'd have to save for a lot longer to get into one of these though, but I'm definitely interested in learning more about them.

Old January 17th, 2014, 09:57 PM   #35
old3
ninjette.org sage

I've got the last generation 500EXC, the 530 but big bored to 610cc with a 570 Husaberg cam. Pure torque and power. It can shred a rear knobby in minutes or power wheelie on 17" wheels in 4th gear.

They are amazing machines. Awesome bikes. The 350 will do about 96 MPH strung out on dirt in Baja, but has a little tighter gear spacing. Either are great bikes. Change the oil often and enjoy.

The internet myths of monthly rebuilds are BS unless you are a sponsored pro racer. You will read that quite a bit. Geared correctly and well kept, they will last for years of recreational off road or DS riding with just oil changes and wear items, tire, brakes, chains etc.

Old January 17th, 2014, 10:20 PM   #36
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I've got the last generation 500EXC, the 530 but big bored to 610cc with a 570 Husaberg cam. Pure torque and power. It can shred a rear knobby in minutes or power wheelie on 17" wheels in 4th gear.

They are amazing machines. Awesome bikes. The 350 will do about 96 MPH strung out on dirt in Baja, but has a little tighter gear spacing. Either are great bikes. Change the oil often and enjoy.

The internet myths of monthly rebuilds are BS unless you are a sponsored pro racer. You will read that quite a bit. Geared correctly and well kept, they will last for years of recreational off road or DS riding with just oil changes and wear items, tire, brakes, chains etc.
Your bike sounds like a monster!

Just watched some videos on the 350 and 500. They are very cool for sure. A little expensive, but it looks like you get what you pay for with them. Wish I had more money, I'd run over and buy the 500 instantly.

Old January 18th, 2014, 08:04 AM   #37
old3
ninjette.org sage

Start researching, the newer generation 4 strokes have been around since 2000 and all of them can be built up to modern spec and just about any power level or style, torque bottom end tractor, quick revving screamer, +70 HP sidecar engine. YOu cab find the older ones still in good shape for under $3000, or buy a project and build it to what you want.

The bikes are modular so parts fit across many or every model. KTMs are the VW bug of dirt bikes.

ktmtalk.com is the best resource for info or ask me if you have any questions. I've been racing them since my 1996 360SX.