ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 7th, 2021, 03:56 PM   #1
Darksik
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 99' Suzuki Katana 600 (RIP)

Fuel tank damper Alternatives?

Hello friends, is there some alternative to the original fuel dampers? For 4 years that I bought my ninja I realized that it did not come with the dampers, I cannot buy them since I get more like triple the cost in shipping since I am from Mexico and they raise the cost of everything, I realized that it always sounds that it hits when I go down a bad road, I also realized that the tank only carries 10 liters, I do not know if it is because the tank is wrongly positioned
Darksik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2021, 01:55 PM   #2
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

in the past I have made the rubber round cushions for the front of the gas tank to slide over out of a few pieces of rubber hose... a large heater hose off a truck for the outside big ring and then a piece of 1/2" garden hose inside of that one... I usually make them 1" long and assemble the garden hose on there first
then the larger hose goes on it... if there is a difference in the size of the hoses I use black electrical tape in several wraps to build up the difference to a snug fit.
but the large hose is the trick... an automotive store may well have some that fit the cup in the gas tank perfectly I just used what I had laying around ...
and then used the black tape to compensate ... if you cut the hose pieces too long they will interfere with the tank sliding up to where it's supposed to be
but it SHOULD be a snug fit... I lost the frame rubbers on an old DT1 years ago and just made up some out of large radiator hose for it.
you could conceivably just wrap black tape around it but that would degrade over time and come all apart... but if you make everything up there a snug fit it is bound to be alot better. running without those rubbers will ware a hole in the gas tank...so don't do it... even an old mud flap cut in strips and rolled around the pins till their the right size to fit the tank is better than nothing....
then wrap in black take to hold them in a circle...
anything is better than nothing !
Bob.......

Old August 14th, 2021, 01:47 PM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
How are you measuring 10-ltr capacity?
Are you re-filling when petrol light lights up on dash?
Do you fill up to bottom of metal screen at top of tank?

When light 1st turns on you still have 4 litres in tank.

1. Real capacity is completely empty tank. Remove tank and dump ALL petrol out of it. Then push to petrol station and fill up. You'll find it holds 18-ltr.

2. Riding capacity is from when you run out of petrol. So ride bike until it runs out of petrol and dies. Push to petrol station and fill up. You'll find it will take 15-16 litres.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2021, 01:57 PM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
How are you measuring 10-ltr capacity?
Are you re-filling when petrol light lights up on dash?
Do you fill up to bottom of metal screen at top of tank?

When light 1st turns on you still have 4 litres in tank.

1. Real capacity is completely empty tank. Remove tank and dump ALL petrol out of it. Then push to petrol station and fill up. You'll find it holds 18-ltr.

2. Riding capacity is from when you run out of petrol. So ride bike until it runs out of petrol and dies. Push to petrol station and fill up. You'll find it will take 15-16 litres.
You made me really LOL with all the pushing to the gas stations.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 14th, 2021, 07:38 PM   #5
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
You made me really LOL with all the pushing to the gas stations.
heh, heh.... Rigorous objective and quantitative scientific studies can be difficult work!!!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2021, 08:28 PM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
heh, heh.... Rigorous objective and quantitative scientific studies can be difficult work!!!
Yes, if for some reason you don't plan ahead and have a can of gasoline at your lab.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2021, 05:15 PM   #7
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I rember talking to a guy in the 1960's who had a honda 50 trail like I had and he was telling me he got 120 mpg from his bike, I said wow ! that is impressive
( I just got my bike.) and he said Yah I decided to see how far I could go before I ran out of gas so I put a quart of gas on the back rack and started to see...
he wound up 75 miles out in the back of beyond and ran out of gas went to put the quart of gas back in the bike to get home and it was only half full so he coasted everywhere he could and then hit the main road and finally ran out of gas at his drive way !.... we had a good laugh at that... the 50cc bike ( honda 50cc trail) did indeed get real good mileage but if your going to test your mileage I have a better plan.... fill the tank to the top, go for a long ride. fill the tank again to the top and write down the gallons used, and divide the mileage covered....by the gallons used..... it's not rocket science but it does give you a good average on how much you actually get in gas mileage... Don't rely on what the Bike dealer tells you. !
it's no fun to run out of gas on a bike especially a big one. so it is advantageous to know How far you can go between fill ups..... Now days these bikes have fuel gauges.... a real boon to the Rider ! but back then, there was no such thing and running out of gas on the bike was very common.
I reset my trip meter/odometer when I fill up on everything car or bike
and that way I know how far I can go.....
Bob.....