ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Notices

Old August 1st, 2012, 10:15 PM   #1
aShifty
ninjette.org member

Name: Armin

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Well got that out of the way.

Looks like almost 2 weeks after I bought the bike I crashed it. I'd say all my fault and I feel bad for my baby. :/ here's what happened. I'll post pics tommorow.

Friends and I went to eat since I just passed the msf course today. After eating we thought it we would go on a short lil cruise through some back roads. So we went. I was driving really cautious but on some turns I felt comfortable with I was really pushing the lean angle ( not draggin knee or pegs but I could feel the lean) things were going well and I was approaching a left curve, couldn't tell the radius of the turn b/c of some trees on inside and it was dark. Well halfway through turn I noticied it was a bit sharper then expect but I think I was still good, me though since I was being SO CAUTIOUS brought the bike up out of lean and braked.. Brakes until I went off side of Todd and right away low side and bike went down and so did I. I got up right away and went to turn off bike. I was fine. ( later hip started feeling a bit but nothing big) bike did turn off by itself though before I got to it. Brought it up and parked it. Friends came back because they were Infront of me (in a s2000) and I gave them plenty of space again I was bein cautious. Completely my fault though. I should of just kept leaning and looked through turn, instead I tArget fixated and braking didn't help. Wish I got it on video. Well after I was super heated mainly cuz bike shifter peg was bent in the most devilish angle I have ever seen. And would not start. Waited about 15 minutes and tried again nothing. Then gave it sd gas on startup and she started. I was so glad she was ok mechanically it seemed. Left turn signal did Pop off but I think we can put it back together tommorow and bend the shifter pet back in place tommorow. I was planning on getting inspection and registration done tommorow too :/. Well I learned my lesson, keep lookin through turn and watch the corners, I was being over cautious I think which really screwed me over. Their are some scratches and 2 cracks in front left fairing but I think most will buff out and the cracks I'll see about them.
aShifty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2012, 10:36 PM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Next time lean more!!!

Post a pic of your rear tire
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2012, 10:48 PM   #3
aShifty
ninjette.org member

yeah! i realized when i ride more aggressively not just in a bike but car too i make less mistakes. def should have leaned more. Ill post some pics tomorrow. their are some chicken strips
hehe not sure if from me or previous owner.

learning experience though. really happy damage doesnt look too bad

Old August 1st, 2012, 11:56 PM   #4
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
If there are chicken strips on the tires, then you know you can always lean more
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2012, 04:47 AM   #5
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

sorry you laid her down . have you ever tried rolling off the throttle a little to widen your turning radius?

Old August 2nd, 2012, 06:58 AM   #6
aShifty
ninjette.org member

yeah im sorry too :/. I do sometimes roll off throttle on turns.

Here are pics. Any idea how i straighten the foot shifter lever? or connect the left turn signal? I really wanted to go pass inspection today

u can click on pictures to make them bigger.

Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:06 AM   #7
fatestkid
ninjette.org member

Name: fatty

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

Glad you're okay! The shifter bend looks ridiculous, as if someone use a precision tool to make that bend.

Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:10 AM   #8
aShifty
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatestkid View Post
Glad you're okay! The shifter bend looks ridiculous, as if someone use a precision tool to make that bend.
Thanks! Right I couldn't believe it.My face when after
I got up. I guess ima try to bend it back in place.

Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:04 AM   #9
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by aShifty View Post
........I guess ima try to bend it back in place.
Sorry to read about the accident.

Yes, that lever is soft on purpose, so it bends during accidents; hence, it can be repaired easily as well.

Just remove it from the assembly and use a bench vise, some lever and/or rubber mallet to bring it back to the original shape.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:20 AM   #10
aShifty
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Sorry to read about the accident.

Yes, that lever is soft on purpose, so it bends during accidents; hence, it can be repaired easily as well.

Just remove it from the assembly and use a bench vise, some lever and/or rubber mallet to bring it back to the original shape.
Yeah I just used a closed end socket heated the bend up a bit and it bent easily. I tried taking it off the assembly but the shift linkage? I think it's called. I couldn't get that off the pedal/lever. I'll put up what it looks like in a bit. Just temperorary I might get new one or just bend this more straight. The turn signal confused me a bit I couldn't find where the wires connected but I found it. Looks ok now.

Old August 2nd, 2012, 11:42 AM   #11
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Sorry to hear about your crash. It seems that you and the bike came out of it ok though.

My first and only crash was really similar to yours. The shifter bent in exactly the same way.

As for not leaning over too far. I was thinking about this today. Lots and lots of people freak out and stand the bike upright mid turn because they feel they are going to fast. I have realized that it is pretty much always better to lean over further and take the turn instead of braking and standing the bike up. This is my thinking:
* Your bike can probably take the corner faster than you think.
* Standing the bike upright pretty much guarantees you're going to go off the road or perhaps even into on coming traffic
* Even if you do end up low siding instead of making the turn, you probably wont be any worse off than if you stood the bike upright and slammed on the brakes, but at least you have a chance at making the turn.
* If you do make the turn you'll feel amazing!
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2012, 12:49 PM   #12
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

enter slow exit fast
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2012, 12:50 PM   #13
Gurk
Done here.

then again, better advice would be to learn proper technique and get a feel of your bike before you ride backroads in the dark.

Old August 2nd, 2012, 01:13 PM   #14
krolinked
Nerd

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ducati Hyperstrada

Don't think that because you crashed now, that it won't happen again!
You started off right with a 250 but you got to take baby steps and don't underestimate ANYTHING. Good luck with your riding
You will get the hang of it!

Old August 2nd, 2012, 02:57 PM   #15
coolcatjames
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r

Wow sorry to hear about the crash. Ever since mines, I've been trolling the crash threads more, and you're situation seems very similar to mine. Doesn't look too bad though. Just pick your head up and keep going at it.
coolcatjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2012, 03:18 PM   #16
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcatjames View Post
Wow sorry to hear about the crash. Ever since mines, I've been trolling the crash threads more, and you're situation seems very similar to mine. Doesn't look too bad though. Just pick your head up and keep going at it.
Is that the right word?

Old August 2nd, 2012, 03:27 PM   #17
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
Is that the right word?
You forgot to bold the "you're" :P
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2012, 03:28 PM   #18
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Quote:
Is that the right word?
could be, just depends on his posts, lol.
lgk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2012, 03:37 PM   #19
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

probably meant lurking.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:32 PM   #20
aShifty
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your crash. It seems that you and the bike came out of it ok though.

My first and only crash was really similar to yours. The shifter bent in exactly the same way.

As for not leaning over too far. I was thinking about this today. Lots and lots of people freak out and stand the bike upright mid turn because they feel they are going to fast. I have realized that it is pretty much always better to lean over further and take the turn instead of braking and standing the bike up. This is my thinking:
* Your bike can probably take the corner faster than you think.
* Standing the bike upright pretty much guarantees you're going to go off the road or perhaps even into on coming traffic
* Even if you do end up low siding instead of making the turn, you probably wont be any worse off than if you stood the bike upright and slammed on the brakes, but at least you have a chance at making the turn.
* If you do make the turn you'll feel amazing!
Ur 100% spot on. The bike defintly can take the corner and the ability of these bikes are tremendous i just did what i always told myself not to do, target fixation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurk View Post
enter slow exit fast
Quote:
then again, better advice would be to learn proper technique and get a feel of your bike before you ride backroads in the dark.
I know the technique. i just messed up myself. And yeah backroads at night on a newb rider not the best idea but ive done it before and was fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krolinked View Post
Don't think that because you crashed now, that it won't happen again!
You started off right with a 250 but you got to take baby steps and don't underestimate ANYTHING. Good luck with your riding
You will get the hang of it!
Ur right. I know it can happen again and be a lot worse. Baby steps. thats my problem, i want to take giant leaps .

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcatjames View Post
For sure!! Gotta keep riding

in other news. i got my motorcycle license.. or endorsement today. yaaaaaaay.

Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:44 PM   #21
jdv5074
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

Quote:
I know the technique.
Technique |tekˈnēk|
noun
a way of carrying out a particular task, esp. the execution or performance of an artistic work or a scientific procedure.
skill or ability in a particular field : he has excellent technique | [in sing. ] an established athlete with a very good technique.
• a skillful or efficient way of doing or achieving something : tape recording is a good technique for evaluating our own communications.

Maybe you know of the technique... I feel like this wouldn't have happened if you knew the technique :/
jdv5074 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:29 PM   #22
aShifty
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdv5074 View Post
Technique |tekˈnēk|
noun
a way of carrying out a particular task, esp. the execution or performance of an artistic work or a scientific procedure.
• skill or ability in a particular field : he has excellent technique | [in sing. ] an established athlete with a very good technique.
• a skillful or efficient way of doing or achieving something : tape recording is a good technique for evaluating our own communications.

Maybe you know of the technique... I feel like this wouldn't have happened if you knew the technique :/
yes i know of the technique needed. yes i need more practice. yes it could of been avoided if i used the right technique, but i panicked.
lean more and look through turn and i would have been fine. and your right if i performed what i should have it all would have been avoided.. no crash, no thread, just a good feeling after the turn.

i saw some dirt by the engine case so i might take that apart and clean it and the chain is dirty too. if i get time tomorrow im clean that too so i can get out sooner and practice the technique jvd is talking about.

Old August 3rd, 2012, 05:27 AM   #23
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Its not so much a fact of getting your first crash "out of the way" and suddenly being safe. All riders go down at some point, that's how it works. Going down once doesn't mean you won't go down again.

BUT, it looks like you're learning from this one though, so keep at it!!! The best riders are the ones who learn from every mistake they make and apply it. Good luck and stay safe. You're only allowed one post in this section of the forums
Posted via Mobile Device
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2012, 02:04 PM   #24
Gurk
Done here.

I guess I should have said "practice" instead of learn.. but then again it's not something you can learn on paper or from youtube alone. I'm still learning technique and I have 10 track days under my belt. it's nothing to be egotistical about.

I had 100's of laps before my fast lowside crash on buttonwillow raceway. "I knew technique" back then so what happened?? I took that turn many times and I was fine. What happened that time?

See where I'm getting at? Just cause you "did it before" doesn't mean you're ready for it next time (well you know that by now).

In any case, good luck. Not trying to be an a$$ here I just know what overconfidence does to people.

Old August 3rd, 2012, 10:56 PM   #25
aShifty
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Its not so much a fact of getting your first crash "out of the way" and suddenly being safe. All riders go down at some point, that's how it works. Going down once doesn't mean you won't go down again.

BUT, it looks like you're learning from this one though, so keep at it!!! The best riders are the ones who learn from every mistake they make and apply it. Good luck and stay safe. You're only allowed one post in this section of the forums
Posted via Mobile Device
Your right. i am aware it could happen again and am still kind of scared at "target fixation". i went on another cruise tonight and im building the confidence back up. looking through turns that is.

Quote:
I guess I should have said "practice" instead of learn.. but then again it's not something you can learn on paper or from youtube alone. I'm still learning technique and I have 10 track days under my belt. it's nothing to be egotistical about.

I had 100's of laps before my fast lowside crash on buttonwillow raceway. "I knew technique" back then so what happened?? I took that turn many times and I was fine. What happened that time?

See where I'm getting at? Just cause you "did it before" doesn't mean you're ready for it next time (well you know that by now).

In any case, good luck. Not trying to be an a$$ here I just know what overconfidence does to people.
What did happen that time?

yeah i know what your saying and i agree with you. Thanks for the advice man. Really set me back down on earth. btw. u got a r6. i love u.

What do you guys say is the best way to practice? just go out on some twisties and keep practicing?

Old August 4th, 2012, 06:56 AM   #26
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
..........i got my motorcycle license.. or endorsement today. yaaaaaaay.
Congratulations, Armin!

Consider yourself in greater than normal danger and vulnerability during your first months of riding.

Rather than being discouraged, become extra attentive and careful regarding traffic as well as curious and flexible regarding reading books and practicing.

Try avoiding adverse conditions during the first times: heavy traffic, strong wind, night, rain, etc.

Baby steps took you to this point, stay at that pace.

My best!

Last futzed with by Motofool; August 4th, 2012 at 11:12 AM.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2012, 10:53 AM   #27
Duchess
<3

Name: Kristina

Motorcycle(s): '05 Ninja 250

Glad you are okay! Don't be too hard on yourself, it was a learning experience and now you know what not to do.

I think the best way to practice is to choose good day conditions (exactly what @Motofool said) and to choose roads that you are very familiar with. I know that when I was first on the road, the roads that I "knew" and drove in a car every day felt very different on a bike. You know it, there's comfort in knowing it, but it's still different ya know? But then add the uncertainty of unknown roads/curves/turns and uber hardness while learning.

Old August 4th, 2012, 11:14 AM   #28
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
Glad you are okay! Don't be too hard on yourself, it was a learning experience and now you know what not to do.

I think the best way to practice is to choose good day conditions (exactly what @Motofool said) and to choose roads that you are very familiar with. I know that when I was first on the road, the roads that I "knew" and drove in a car every day felt very different on a bike. You know it, there's comfort in knowing it, but it's still different ya know? But then add the uncertainty of unknown roads/curves/turns and uber hardness while learning.
I hear ya! Corners feel different, you have road position to think about within your lane and for me, being on my motorcycle feels much quicker than being in a car when travelling at an identical speed. Also: riding my motorcycle is fun! Cars are a bit boring to me. I recently moved house and have a short (40 min) commute in each day. People have asked me how I'm handling the commute and I normally reply "It's like going go-karting before work each day"

Old August 4th, 2012, 11:30 AM   #29
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:
What did happen that time?

yeah i know what your saying and i agree with you. Thanks for the advice man. Really set me back down on earth. btw. u got a r6. i love u.

What do you guys say is the best way to practice? just go out on some twisties and keep practicing?
Love you back. lol.

What happened? I got too confident. I was entering the turn at 108mph. Way faster than I ever did. I got scared and hit brakes. Not too much but enough to load the front all the way. Forks had no more in them and front folded and I lowsided. Guess what though it thought me a lot. If I did this on a canyon road, I wouldn't be here typing all this.

Best way to practice is on track. I felt like on my first track day ever, I learned more than I ever could on the street. Sure, twisties might teach you a few things too, but it's not a place to truly learn or find your limits in my opinion. Errors cost you too much in the twisties. On track, you go down. You get up and try again another day. And there's no oncoming traffic to kill you.

Twisties should be leisure rides in my opinion. Just enjoy the weather, scenery, ride at 60% of your limit and have fun. Track is where you push your limits and increase them.

Many canyon heroes who push themselves on twisty public roads who've never been to track would call me a pu$$y and disagree with above statements. But I gave up trying. People die in many ways. It's their choice if they wanna fly off a cliff or get wrapped around a tree.

Old August 4th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #30
Duchess
<3

Name: Kristina

Motorcycle(s): '05 Ninja 250

Quote:
I hear ya! Corners feel different, you have road position to think about within your lane and for me, being on my motorcycle feels much quicker than being in a car when travelling at an identical speed. Also: riding my motorcycle is fun! Cars are a bit boring to me. I recently moved house and have a short (40 min) commute in each day. People have asked me how I'm handling the commute and I normally reply "It's like going go-karting before work each day"
LOL! Couldn't agree more. Not too long ago I was out joy riding on my bike, then went home and jumped in my car to do some shopping/errands. Got on the expressway and felt I was going slow in the fast lane, having a hard time accelerating, etc.... look down, doing 90. It was a definite "Go car, go! .. oh wait, you are going" moment.

But back on topic, you brought up a good point - OP, how was your lane positioning?

Old August 4th, 2012, 01:25 PM   #31
mintyfox
RingAroundTheRosey

Name: Judith

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Well u never really learn until u fall so I say, good job?
mintyfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2012, 01:43 PM   #32
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Not too long ago I was out joy riding on my bike, then went home and jumped in my car to do some shopping/errands. Got on the expressway and felt I was going slow in the fast lane, having a hard time accelerating, etc.... look down, doing 90. It was a definite "Go car, go! .. oh wait, you are going" moment.
I don't drive a car often. I rented one to move house with some months back and upon returning it, I was convinced enough that I was moving slower in the car than on my bike that I asked the rental people if the speedo was out. They said it was fine. LOL: for a moment my brain actually entertained the idea of lane splitting when I was approaching some stopped cars and spotted a meter-wide gap Thank fully I quickly realized that would be a bad idea.

I do like cars for their cosyness. It's nice being able to step into that safe, warm and dry environment and instantly pull away. Motorcycles are amazing fun, but they don't feel as safe (which is half the excitement) and it takes me about 4 minutes to get geared up.

Old August 4th, 2012, 11:13 PM   #33
aShifty
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Congratulations, Armin!...

My best!
Thanks! and yeah i have watched twist of the wrist 2 and stuff. im definitely not discouraged. i wanna get out there and ride again. thanks for the advice.

Quote:
LOL! Couldn't agree more. Not too long ago I was out joy riding on my bike, then went home and jumped in my car to do some shopping/errands. Got on the expressway and felt I was going slow in the fast lane, having a hard time accelerating, etc.... look down, doing 90. It was a definite "Go car, go! .. oh wait, you are going" moment.

But back on topic, you brought up a good point - OP, how was your lane positioning?
It does seem as if you are going a lot faster then what you think on a bike. Lane positioning was like any other turn. outside inside outside was the goal. I remember when i hit apex (dividing lines on 2 lane road) i saw trees and dirt infront of me so uh.. target fixation kicked in :/. now every turn i gotta remind myself look through. slow in fast out. and lastly. DONT LOOK AT THE TREES! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyfox View Post
Well u never really learn until u fall so I say, good job?
exactly! and im happy this learning experience wasn't too bad on the bike and no one got hurt. just recently ordered a K&N airfilter for it cuz i felt bad. rear stand too so i can lube the chain and clean it cuz it seems a bit dirty.

Old August 5th, 2012, 02:02 AM   #34
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
It does seem as if you are going a lot faster then what you think on a bike. Lane positioning was like any other turn. outside inside outside was the goal.
Maybe on a track, but on the road there's more to think about than that. You lane position for visibility (so other cars up ahead see you sooner or the car in front can see you in their mirrors and be aware of you. You lane position to avoid patches of dodgy road (gravel, drain covers on corners etc). You lane position to avoid oncoming traffic: If you ride to near to the edge of one side of your lane, many drivers will be encouraged to under/overtake you within the same lane. I've had that happen before.

I'm not certain about this, but I think you're more likely to find grip on the parts of your lane where car tyres travel. The center part and the edges are more likely to contain dirt and debris. I think in wet weather this makes more of a difference.