ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 17th, 2013, 03:34 AM   #1
93etgocart
ninjette.org member

Name: dennis

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Honda Shadow, 2008 ninja 250

need advice on in helmet communication system

So im looking for a pair of communication systems, I would really like it to plug into my phone through the headphone jack or would also be willing to take a Bluetooth model. Anyways I obviously want to be able to use it as a communicator and the most important thing I want is to be able to use it for a mp3 player. Also I would like it to be under or around the 200 dollar mark. Thanks in advance for all the suggestions. I also have a scorpion exo-500 if that makes a difference. I also am getting a drift hd ghost for vlogging so i would like to make sure it doesn't mess with it.
93etgocart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2013, 04:19 AM   #2
TheDementedDrummer
Present. Somewhat.

Name: Neel

Motorcycle(s): 2012 KTM Duke 200, 2011 Ninja 250r, 2011 Ducati Monster 796, 2014 Kawasaki ZX10r

Sena SMH10
http://www.senabluetooth.com/product..._menu=overview

Old February 17th, 2013, 06:45 AM   #3
Dozer
ninjette.org member

Name: CarL

Motorcycle(s): 2010 EX250, 2012 ZX-6R

Communicator for bike to bike? Or two-up

For two up, i personally have a scala rider teamset pro.
Dozer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #4
93etgocart
ninjette.org member

two up riding wont be very common, the ninja is a solo riding bike. And on the rare chance I will be able to get my wife to ride with me we will be on the shadow. Anyways two up riding doesn't happen very often thanks to those kids I had.

Old February 17th, 2013, 01:45 PM   #5
ninja98r
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Mo

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Sena SMH10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDementedDrummer View Post
There is a new Sena model recently released. The SMH10R which I'm curently considering. I was close to purchasing the SMH10 last summer after some research. One common complaint with the SMH10 was it's bulky size and some complaints of wind noise. The new unit should address this with it's slim design.

Something you could also consider I suppose...
ninja98r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #6
Dozer
ninjette.org member

Name: CarL

Motorcycle(s): 2010 EX250, 2012 ZX-6R

Scala rider G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93etgocart View Post
two up riding wont be very common, the ninja is a solo riding bike. And on the rare chance I will be able to get my wife to ride with me we will be on the shadow. Anyways two up riding doesn't happen very often thanks to those kids I had.
I personally have not used one, but everyone i know who owns them swears by it. My scala teamset pro works magnificently and i think that's an indication of the quality of a Scala rider G4.

I usually ride solo as well and the Teamset Pro is connected to my iPhone via bluetooth and by a cord. Bluetooth for answering and making calls, YES making calls. There is a command button on the unit that prompts the phone to wait for a voice command. "Call the wife" and Siri goes, "...OK calling the wife". Then I talk to my wife explaining that I found another backroad and i'll be late for supper, amazingly clear conversations and noise cancellation.

After that, I say goodbye and she hangs up, I hit the command button again and say "Play Music"... Siri goes "...OK playing all songs". and that's what the cord connection is for. Very good sound quality even for such tiny headset speakers.
Dozer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #7
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

The Parrot SK4000 seems to be the most music and phone-centric one. In fact, it has no accommodations for rider-to-rider intercom. It has multipoint pairing and wired inputs, noise canceling, stereo, AVRCP WITH a handlebar remote (never seen another with that), and more. My only gripe is that the remote doesn't seem to work on our bikes without leaning in toward it (probably interference from the bike's electrical system).

It's also the only one I've ever seen with voice commands and text-to-speech Caller ID. It doesn't just give you the number, it actually uses Phonebook Access Profile (PBAP) to sync phonebooks and reads you the name of the caller. With PBAP, it does voice calling even with phones that don't support voice dialing, like an original iPhone or iPhone 3G.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2013, 08:26 AM   #8
TheDementedDrummer
Present. Somewhat.

Name: Neel

Motorcycle(s): 2012 KTM Duke 200, 2011 Ninja 250r, 2011 Ducati Monster 796, 2014 Kawasaki ZX10r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja98r View Post
There is a new Sena model recently released. The SMH10R which I'm curently considering. I was close to purchasing the SMH10 last summer after some research. One common complaint with the SMH10 was it's bulky size and some complaints of wind noise. The new unit should address this with it's slim design.

Something you could also consider I suppose...
I already have the SMH10. the wind noise isn't a problem with a closed visor at less than 100 km/h.
I actually saw the 10R as well, but i wasn't too sure about how easy it would be to operate wearing thick gloves

Old February 18th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #9
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

I have 3 sena smh10's. I had the parrot unit for a while, but it broke twice and did not allow for headset to headset comms. I hear good things about scala units, but have no experience with them.

The newer SMH10's are software upgradable and use voice prompts which is a hell of a lot easier that remembering what beep means what. The only suggestion I'd make would be to glue a piece of spongey foam inside your chin bar that presses the mic back to just touch your lips. My mic has a habit of getting pushed too far away from mouth, and 1/2" makes a heck of a difference in the sound quality when talking.

The newer ones also allow for 3 way talking. And..... you can leap frog an infinite number of them together. I can talk to my wife and a coworker by syncing our headsets. What's cool is that if he's talking to his wife and I connect to him, I can talk to her via his headset - even though I've never synched with her headset. it's like a big partyline, all full duplex. Now image a chain of riders a mile long... the first and last out of range of each other, but leap frogging the distance.

It works with SIRI on my iphone and the voice prompt thingy on android. It is so friggin slick to send and receive text messages while riding. Just fooling around the other day, I said "Siri, play me some Willie" and she played Waylon Jennings... but that not a sena issue. lol.

Old February 18th, 2013, 10:50 AM   #10
Blystr842
Venom Sponsored

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R x2 (his & hers), 05 Honda CRF250R

I bought the pair of Sena SMH10's. They are decent. Not as awesome as I had hoped but they are good. Bluetooth to MP3 player, phone, GPS, etc.

It is a bit bulky. Range is like 1/4 mile I think. When I first got the headsets and synced them, there was a bunch of static the first 2 times I used them (first in the houst, then on the bikes). They sat for a few weeks and every time since then there has been no static unless we got over 1/4 away from each other.

Holds a charge for a long time. Easy to use. Works well with Pandora Radio on my Droid. I haven't tried to do any text messaging but that's next on the list.

Old February 18th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #11
93etgocart
ninjette.org member

I think I have decided on the sena smh10R. Unfortunately a new tire on the shadow must take precedence over the frivolous toys that I would love to have.

Old February 19th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #12
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93etgocart View Post
So im looking for a pair of communication systems, I would really like it to plug into my phone through the headphone jack or would also be willing to take a Bluetooth model. Anyways I obviously want to be able to use it as a communicator and the most important thing I want is to be able to use it for a mp3 player. Also I would like it to be under or around the 200 dollar mark. Thanks in advance for all the suggestions. I also have a scorpion exo-500 if that makes a difference. I also am getting a drift hd ghost for vlogging so i would like to make sure it doesn't mess with it.
This system with a throat mic & a pair of speakers for inside a helmet connects up to most phones & should be clear enough sound.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote