ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 14th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #1
Strange
ninjette.org member

Name: Cory

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ZX-6R Monster Edition

Headphones.

So, when I ride, I like to rock. The two just seem to fit together.

Anyone have any recommendations on good, comfortable headphones?
Strange is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #2
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

I suggest getting In-ear headphones, as they would probably be the most comfortable with a helmet on and have less chance of falling out.

Something like these would do the trick,
Sennheiser IE 6

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #3
islanderman7
The Sexy Filipino

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2008 (da black one)

I use Bose headphones. Comes with 3 interchangeable ear pieces to find the best fit. Works for me.

I'm not riding too fast... I'm flying too low.
islanderman7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #4
Ramen
Frak It

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

http://www.newenoughhp.com/accessori...t_headset.html

Best thing I ever bought for my commute. Hook it up to my Blackberry inside my jacket and listen to Slacker.
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2009, 08:24 PM   #5
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Thats not a bad price either, I'll have to get me some.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2009, 08:39 PM   #6
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Here's the ones I've been using for a couple years now. I have yet to find better sound quality for a reasonable price.

Phillips in-ear headphones.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #7
empire00
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r SE, 2015 FJ-09

for the money i love my skull candies
empire00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2009, 10:34 PM   #8
Viper-Byte
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R in Green! (Sold) Now 2011 Triumph Daytona 675 SE

I use Sennheiser cx 300s, they come with 3 tips, so you can have the best fitting tip. Though I am looking at getting some Apple earphones that have multiple rubber tips like that which have a remote inbuilt to be able to control the track and volume of my iPod.

There have been a few threads on this topic, so have a search and you will find more info.

AreaP Quiet Core Carbon Fibre : 8000k HIDs : Dynojet Jet kit : Double Bubble Windscreen
Viper-Byte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2009, 04:37 AM   #9
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

+1for Skull Candy. They have a little slider switch to control the volume. It goes from being able to talk to your buddies at a stoplight (assuming you have buddies and a stoplight) to ouch my head hurts a little. It hits all the areas in between too. They do a good job of canceling noise (especially wind noise). They seem to fit my tiny head and tiny ears. If you are a big head they have several different ear buds included. The sound is pretty great. Bass is somewhat lacking, but then again I have a full Pioneer system in my car with a 10" Audiobahn subwoofer, so I may be biased. I think I paid $32 for mine at Cycle Gear. I'm not sure if that is a good price or not for these headphones. I kinda needed them and saw them and bought them. Love them.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2009, 06:03 AM   #10
sugarbear
ninjette.org member

Name: Carol

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2004 BMW 1150RT

I like the etymotic 6i Isolator earphones. They are a little pricey, but you can usually get a good deal on amazon.com. They fit nice under the helmet too.
sugarbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2009, 07:09 AM   #11
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

isn't it dangerous cuz you can't hear if someone is honking?
i have the bose and wouldn't recommand it.
it look nice and feel nice but the sound could be better.
I personally like skull candy.
Their sound is much better and they're 1/2 the price of bose.
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2009, 07:35 AM   #12
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

I can't hear people when they are talking to me normally when I'm off my bike, but I can hear traffic and sirens just fine. I can hear people fine with their voices raised. Same as earplugs I guess, just a little more entertaining.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2009, 07:59 AM   #13
Buffalony

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

Or you can get these.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13992
You'll hear around yourself just fine.

Old April 15th, 2009, 08:22 AM   #14
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

+ another for Skull Candy.

I only ride with one bud in though.

Ironically enough as I look at this thread the ad that cycled through is Z-Buds... Never heard of them... Haha they are $60!

Old April 15th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #15
sombo

A friend of mine got me a pair of Skull candy's to replace another pair of headsets I let her borrow and lost. I tried them for about 5 mins and couldn't stand their sound quality compared to the Phillips. Absolutely no bass to speak of and I had to turn the sound up quite a bit compared to my other ones and it just continued to sound like I only had them partially in even when I had them in all the way with the best possible fit. If you haven't tried the Phillips then you don't know what you're missing. They are made with bass reflex and one of the largest frequency ranges of all headphones. They are cheap, really small, great sound quality, and so comfy you forget you're wearing them.

But this is all just my own personal opinion so take it as you will or just ignore it. I'm just telling my own experience and hopes it helps.

Old April 15th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #16
Buffalony

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTyke View Post
I only ride with one bud in though.

Old April 16th, 2009, 08:06 AM   #17
xTKx
Finally!

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 09 Red 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen View Post

Best thing I ever bought for my commute. Hook it up to my Blackberry inside my jacket and listen to Slacker.
Sean, how's the sound quality in that unit? Are you still able to hear your surroundings well enough?

I'm really torn between a decent pair of ear buds, and something like this. I'm so tempted to buy the CB music system though! I live in TX (about 5 hrs away from the NewEnough warehouse), so if I order today I could probably have them by the weekend! I just wanted to get some personal thoughts before I buy. Thanks!

BTW, good lookin bike!

Old July 21st, 2010, 08:09 PM   #18
gideonpoe
ninjette.org member

Name: Gideon

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
Here's the ones I've been using for a couple years now. I have yet to find better sound quality for a reasonable price.

Phillips in-ear headphones.
I have these exact ear buds, but when I put my helmet on over them, they pull out of my ear, is there a way you do it to avoid this, or do you just not have that problem with them.

BTW these are really good ear buds, sound is amazing.

Old July 21st, 2010, 11:17 PM   #19
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gideonpoe View Post
I have these exact ear buds, but when I put my helmet on over them, they pull out of my ear, is there a way you do it to avoid this, or do you just not have that problem with them.

BTW these are really good ear buds, sound is amazing.
Oh I don't use them while riding. I wear foam earplugs when riding and use those earbuds when I listen to my mp3 player and stuff on the computer at work.

Not really sure there is a decent way to keep these on under your helmet due to the way they are shaped. The bottom end of them doesn't hug your ears so they'll get pulled out. I have recently tried another model of earbud from Phillips that have similar sound, go slightly deeper into the ear, and are shaped that they hug the outer ear more. They might prove to be better for riding if you want to try them out.

Philips Precise Directional Sound In-ear Headphones on Amazon.

Old July 22nd, 2010, 06:19 AM   #20
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

I tried the Sennhouser (sp?) noise isolating ear buds but helmet wind noise still drowned them out. I normally ride with 28dB ear plugs to get the noise level down enough to not cause me discomfort. AFAIK, nobody makes isolating ear buds that have near that amount of noise reduction.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2010, 06:47 AM   #21
fenwaynomar45
Greenman!

Name: Jack

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

I just ordered a pair of these http://www.virtualvillage.com/motorc...04616-039.html They are only 6 bux with the code VVN392R (don't know if the code still works) I'm not expecting anything special out of these but They stick to the inside of ur helmet so I was just curious.. I will let u know if they are anything above crap.
fenwaynomar45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2010, 08:35 AM   #22
kamikaze
ex-ninjette.org guru :o

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV1000 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen View Post

how do you find the audio quality? I've got a set of skullcandy headphones for my snowboard helmet that IMO sound fantastic. I've been thinking of ordering another set of them and trimming the pads to fit in my bike helmet, but if these sound decent they may be the way to go
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2010, 10:55 AM   #23
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwaynomar45 View Post
I just ordered a pair of these http://www.virtualvillage.com/motorc...04616-039.html They are only 6 bux with the code VVN392R (don't know if the code still works) I'm not expecting anything special out of these but They stick to the inside of ur helmet so I was just curious.. I will let u know if they are anything above crap.
I have a set of those (or a similar brand). I hated them. With the Wind Noise, I had to turn them way up to hear the music. When you would slow down, it would be too loud, when you would speed up they wouldn't be loud enough. I switched out to using ear buds (like the skullcandies) which work great. They block out a lot of the wind noise so I don't have to crank the music that loud, and speed no longer plays a big part in how loud I need to have the music. I also have no issues in putting my helmet on with them already in my ears.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2010, 11:16 AM   #24
captlombardi
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): '09 EX250J, '01 CBR600F4i

STOP what you are doing and reading, stop thinking about those other headphones, and buy the etymotic research ER6i's immediately.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx
http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Resea...9822210&sr=8-1

$76 is a great price on $99 retail headphones. I have used etymotic headphones for about 4 years now. best sound quality you will get outside of amplified full over the ear headphones that cost several hundred more.

they also go pretty deep into your ear. much deeper than the other so called "in ear" offerings from phillips, etc. believe me, i have tried them. i am on my second pair of er6's, the first ones went out after 3 years. that's about $25 a year, equal to the cost of one pair of crappy headphones from walmart a year (which is about how long they last).

i have always sworn up and down about etymotic and hardly anyone ever takes my advice because they are a little more pricey than phillips, sony, skull candy (oh how i hate thee...), etc. well of course they are, because you get what you pay for, and the ER6's are night and day better than all those others.
captlombardi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2010, 11:40 AM   #25
fenwaynomar45
Greenman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revstriker View Post
I have a set of those (or a similar brand). I hated them. With the Wind Noise, I had to turn them way up to hear the music. When you would slow down, it would be too loud, when you would speed up they wouldn't be loud enough. I switched out to using ear buds (like the skullcandies) which work great. They block out a lot of the wind noise so I don't have to crank the music that loud, and speed no longer plays a big part in how loud I need to have the music. I also have no issues in putting my helmet on with them already in my ears.
HA ya i figured they would be crap. but for 5 bucks I just said why not. Sometimes when i put my helmet on with the skullcandies i have now it becomes lose or i have a problem when i take off the helmet it rips out of my ear and hurts because it likes drags down or something. I don't really mind but was just curious on these.

Old July 22nd, 2010, 12:22 PM   #26
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlombardi View Post
STOP what you are doing and reading, stop thinking about those other headphones, and buy the etymotic research ER6i's immediately.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx
http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Resea...9822210&sr=8-1

$76 is a great price on $99 retail headphones. I have used etymotic headphones for about 4 years now. best sound quality you will get outside of amplified full over the ear headphones that cost several hundred more.

they also go pretty deep into your ear. much deeper than the other so called "in ear" offerings from phillips, etc. believe me, i have tried them. i am on my second pair of er6's, the first ones went out after 3 years. that's about $25 a year, equal to the cost of one pair of crappy headphones from walmart a year (which is about how long they last).

i have always sworn up and down about etymotic and hardly anyone ever takes my advice because they are a little more pricey than phillips, sony, skull candy (oh how i hate thee...), etc. well of course they are, because you get what you pay for, and the ER6's are night and day better than all those others.
how do these fit when worn with a helmet? any fitment/interference issues?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2010, 01:05 PM   #27
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Quote:
HA ya i figured they would be crap. but for 5 bucks I just said why not. Sometimes when i put my helmet on with the skullcandies i have now it becomes lose or i have a problem when i take off the helmet it rips out of my ear and hurts because it likes drags down or something. I don't really mind but was just curious on these.
For 5 bucks it's worth a try. That's what I said about mine and I think I paid 30 bucks.

I normally don't have a problem putting my helmet on with the headphones. I have both a Shoei and an Arai helmet. The Shoei catches a little bit on my ears when I take it off so I do have to be more careful. The Arai is no problem at all. The only issue I have when putting a helmet on is that sometimes the wires coming out the bottom will catch as I am securing my chin strap, and it will pull one of them out of my ear (normally not all the way).
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2010, 01:21 PM   #28
Postiez
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): Red '08 250

If you have an ipod touch/iphone you should really consider getting one with a mic on it so you dont have to take it out of your pocket and take off your gloves to change the songs. I would suggest the skullcandy 50/50s, they fit in the helmet well, sound pretty good and are at a good price. Stay away from the FMJ's though that dont fit in helmets well and have some really messed up issues with wind speed. 60 mph wind hits the mic and they just go crazy!
Postiez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2010, 10:58 AM   #29
fenwaynomar45
Greenman!

believe or not the $5 dollar headphones that I linked further up on the thread are actually pretty nice. They stick right in ur helmet and u just plug in ur ipod when u ride. I really like the volume switch on the headphones too. Obviously they arent bose quality or anything but I was completely satisifed with the sound especially for the price.

Old July 27th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #30
Jaymi
Jaymi

Name: Jaymi

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I always have difficulty finding ear buds that fit properly, even when I use the smallest tips they seem to want to pop out. I found some Panasonic ones that have good sound and the shape is less round and more flattened which seems to work better for me. I know a lot of women have small ear holes like myself so maybe this will help. The ones I have are purple and are quit stylish as far as ear buds go! The only thing I don't like about them is that the jack is a right angle so it makes it hard to get a good connection with certain cases on my iPhone, but an easy fix is to remove the case, problem solved!
Jaymi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #31
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

anyone ever talk on the phone while riding?
Blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2010, 06:10 PM   #32
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
Yes. Parrot SK4000 motorcycle Bluetooth and stereo helmet kit.

FM radio, voice controlled HFP headset with text-to-speech synthesis (tells me who's calling ), and A2DP/AVRCP Stereo Bluetooth with handlebar remote. I usually stream Internet radio with my phone.

Earbuds don't fit me anyway... not even when sitting still.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2010, 06:14 AM   #33
fenwaynomar45
Greenman!

They have a brand of helmets Vcan that have built in bluetooth. However I neither know the quality of the bluetooth or the helmet itself. http://www.amazon.com/Vcan-built-Blu.../dp/B001L6LPUG

Old July 28th, 2010, 09:42 AM   #34
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
They have a brand of helmets Vcan that have built in bluetooth. However I neither know the quality of the bluetooth or the helmet itself. http://www.amazon.com/Vcan-built-Blu.../dp/B001L6LPUG
Looks the same as the Fasttrack Element. No voice control, TTS, CID, etc. Only BT1.2 but at least it has A2DP/AVRCP. Like the Parrot kit, I don't think it has an intercom either.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2010, 10:08 AM   #35
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
Yep... I use the Scala Multiset, great features for cell phone voice activiation "look ma... no hands!" Only downside is that the speakers are mono. The newer system has stereo but I hate the shape that has been introduced. Sits to obvious on the helmet. Each to their own system tho... but a good buy no matter what you choose.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2010, 12:32 AM   #36
3aze
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE

In ear earbuds painful for you? Me too. You're in luck!

I just bought these at WalMart for 10 bucks and they're EXCELLENT for helmets because they're so slim. Perfect fit in the ear recession in my helmet. EXTREMELY comfortable.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RP-H.../dp/B0028JE3T0

I've tried wearing my Motorola S9 stereo bluetooth headset, my Samsung Modus 3500 stereo bluetooth and a handful of hardwired in ear earbuds but for me these CHEAP slim speakers provide the comfort I'm looking for.
3aze is offline   Reply With Quote