ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old September 11th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #1
KBlake
ninjette.org newbie

Name: United States

Motorcycle(s): Going to own a Ninja 250

First Ride

Alright, so about two days ago I signed up for my local MSF course. I'm all about safety when riding so I know this is going to sound stupid to most of you.

I asked my uncle who owns a relatively new KLR 650 if he could teach me how to ride a bit and go over some of the MSF course tests (he used to teach an MSF course).

About 10 minutes of riding around in his dirt field he asked if I felt like I was ready for some street riding. Of course, I said no because I have never rode a motorcycle before and was just learning, but he said we'd just be going around the neighborhood.

He hopped on his GoldWing and he told me to just follow him. I was doing fine and he decided to take me on some more populated streets. All went well. Other than the stupid cagers.

All-in-all, I was just wondering since I did fine on a KLR 650 for my first time riding, would it be ok to jump straight to a ninja 600 or would starting out with a 250 be more logical?

I plan to ride ATGATT.
KBlake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #2
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Just because you did fine this time doesn't mean it will go fine every time. The beginners ride the 250 because it is a forgiving bike and puts up with our noob mistakes, most of the time. You need lots of experience, practice and time/miles to say you're ready.

That's great that it went well for you the first time, but IMO you need lots of time and practice to say you're ready for a 600.
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2011, 08:08 PM   #3
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

klr 650 and 600 are two different beasts.

Old September 11th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #4
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

When you say 600, do you mean sportbikes like the Ninja ZX-6R, GSX-R, CBR600, R6, etc.? Or do you actually mean sporty bikes like the Ninja 650 and SV650?

I would say start with the 250 regardless. Take an MSF course, and buy books listed in the Riding Skills section of this forum. Learn about riding and practice what you learn. If you really want to start larger, consider a Ninja 500 or Suzuki GS500F. If these two bikes don't appeal to you, then I suppose you could look into the Ninja 650R, SV650SF, and the Yamaha FZ-6R.

Under no circumstances is it a good idea to start out on a 600cc or 1000cc sportbike meant for a track. Practice first with a more forgiving motorcycle, then if you feel you want to move up, do so. Just get the skills first.

Old September 11th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #5
KBlake
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks for all the replies!

Starting with the 250 seems to be the major thing most skilled riders push onto newbie riders. Understandable.

I know not every time will go good, I'm just glad this one did.

I'm going to be doing a lot of highway/freeway travel. Is the 250 good at cruising at 70+ mph?

Old September 11th, 2011, 08:59 PM   #6
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBlake View Post
Thanks for all the replies!

Starting with the 250 seems to be the major thing most skilled riders push onto newbie riders. Understandable.

I know not every time will go good, I'm just glad this one did.

I'm going to be doing a lot of highway/freeway travel. Is the 250 good at cruising at 70+ mph?
Most definitely.

Old September 11th, 2011, 09:05 PM   #7
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

It's fine at 85 mph all day long. I know because I did it often on my 2009.

The pre-gen is quicker to accelerate and more fuel efficient while also being cheaper to purchase.

The new-gen ('08 - up) has a better stock suspension, brakes, and 17 inch wheels which allows wider tire selection choices. It is considerably slower to 60 mph but it is still quicker than most four-door, four cylinder vehicles used for commuting. It isn't as fuel efficient, but 50 mpg beating the hell out of it is still pretty solid, especially when you account for the fact it uses regular. IMO, it is definitely the better looking bike.

You really can't go wrong with either Ninjette.

And remember, skilled riders get that way by starting on smaller bikes and learning how to ride. You don't have to start with a 250 if you decide it just isn't for you, but stay away from the 600 and 1000cc sportbikes/sport-standards and the heavy, large displacement cruisers.

Old September 11th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #8
KBlake
ninjette.org newbie

Alright, I'm confused between a 250 and 650 ninja.

I found a 650 that has been dropped and needs 1 mirror for about 2500.

I also found a 2008 250 for 3k but it's never been dropped and only has 500 miles.

Is buying a newer bike better for a first one or should I go for the one that's been dropped seeing as I'm more likely to drop it as a new rider?

Old September 11th, 2011, 09:10 PM   #9
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

if you had to choose from those 2 you should choose the 250 solely because it is a 250. As we've been saying, the higher displacement sport bikes (like a ninja 650) can be a lot to handle for a new rider and wont be as forgiving as the 250.

Old September 11th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #10
KBlake
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks guys! Looks like i'm getting the 250. He said I'm the first one to call so woo-hoo!

Old September 12th, 2011, 01:06 AM   #11
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

first one to call huh?

PRICE HAGGLE!

Old September 14th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #12
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

A Ninja 250 is the best bet for the newbie and pros alike. A Ninja 600 has a lot more performance, but it will get you killed if you are not able to handle it.

Don't try to compare engine size on a Ninja to a cruiser or a dirt bike. Its apples and oranges. A cruiser with a 900-1000cc engine is roughly equivalent to a Ninja 250 in terms of performance. I don't know if they make a dirt bike big enough to equate to a Ninja 250.