ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old May 17th, 2017, 07:47 AM   #1
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Nicky Hayden injured riding bicycle (passed away May 22, 2017)

https://www.superbikeplanet.com/nick...e-crash-italy/
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2017, 08:19 AM   #2
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

https://twitter.com/Zoot_C/status/864854506508607488

Wishing him a speedy recovery.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2017, 10:00 AM   #3
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
wishing him a speedy and full recovery, I hope this doesn't affect the rest of his career

Old May 17th, 2017, 11:00 AM   #4
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...E6KBw.facebook

Hoping he has a full recovery.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2017, 03:40 PM   #5
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
I believed it until I read he was in Rimini. It's more likely he is indulging in some top Italian relaxation.

Old May 17th, 2017, 04:10 PM   #6
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
I pray for a full recovery. I love watching him race.

Old May 17th, 2017, 05:15 PM   #7
CaliGrrl

Latest update is that he has massive head trauma, and they have no idea of his prognosis. He got nailed from the side by the car.

Old May 17th, 2017, 05:26 PM   #8
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

There has been a stream of these recently, mostly pro bicyclists. I think riding my bicycle is becoming more dangerous than riding my motorcycle.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 17th, 2017, 07:19 PM   #9
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Michigan View Post
There has been a stream of these recently, mostly pro bicyclists. I think riding my bicycle is becoming more dangerous than riding my motorcycle.
I think you are right. I think a bicycle rider on a public road is the most vulnerable user of the road.

Old May 17th, 2017, 09:33 PM   #10
CaliGrrl

There are definitely some downsides, unfortunately. A bicycle rider doesn't have the acceleration that the motorcycle does, that's for sure.

Just read an article in the AAA magazine about Vision Zero in Sweden, using road engineering to reduce traffic deaths and recognizing that pedestrians and cyclists are vulnerable. I wish we would do some of this. Driver training is nice, but requires people to follow what they learn. Road engineering just is and people "follow" it whether they know it or not.

Old May 18th, 2017, 06:08 AM   #11
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
http://www.motofire.com/2017/05/news...ith-car-video/
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2017, 06:35 AM   #12
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Michigan View Post
Constantly being overtaken is dangerous.

In this area there are tons of cyclists on the backroads. Many times there is no shoulder and plenty of hills. I had to slow from 45 to about 5 the other day to wait for a cyclist crest the hill before I could pass. 5 seconds before a car had come the other direction. There's just not room for 2 cars and a bicycle. Someone will lose.

Many cyclists in this area are also arrogant and feel they have "equal rights" to the road. They have rights, but they pick and choose. Sometimes they will stop at stop signs, sometimes they won't. They will ride on a busy 4 lane street (35 mph limit) with no shoulder or bike lane (there are lots of roads here with dedicated bike lanes) and expect cars to either wait for them or go around. That causes a dangerous traffic situation.

They want the rights of a motor vehicle and a pedestrian at the same time - which can put themselves and others at risk.

Hopefully Nicky will recover from this. It hasn't sounded too good so far, but he's tough.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2017, 07:56 AM   #13
T11ravis
Professional Carb Cleaner

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): EX250, CRF 150, CRF 100(x2), CRF70

Heal up NH !
WERA #13
T11ravis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2017, 08:31 AM   #14
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
The latest update (5/18/17), but not a lot of new info - http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2017/0...ndition/228157

https://motomatters.com/press_releas...MotoMatters%29

Old May 18th, 2017, 10:36 AM   #15
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

C'mon Nicky you can pull through!

Old May 18th, 2017, 05:07 PM   #16
CaliGrrl

In areas without bike lanes, bikes do have the right to the lane. it can be problematic to exercise that right sometimes, so a person needs to have their wits about them, but legally, bikes are vehicles and entitled to the lane. The full lane. It's a little nerve-wracking but so is getting passed with not enough clearance. By taking the lane, and pulling over when there's someone behind me (and is safe to do so), I keep more control over the situation.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 19th, 2017, 11:34 PM   #17
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

It's been a tough week on a number of fronts, and this news about Nicky weighed on it more than I would have thought. I feel terrible for him, for his family, and for all of his fans, including our oldest little monster.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2017, 03:21 AM   #18
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

The single most important thing i learned after pedaling for over 28 years on four continents and 30+ different countries is to avoid impact at all cost.

The combination of speed and minimal protective gear for cyclists, allow some of the worst possible injuries when impact occurs; whether it be casual, commutal, performance or competition type cycling.

I have probably survived or near-missed more certain death incidents than I realize for the amount of time and distance that I have been pedaling.

Braking (hard) is likely the most common reaction prior to impact, but that always reduces the control and options to avoid impact.

Unclear of the exact situation with Nicky Hayden, only seen the picture of the aftermath, looks like the impact occurred at high speed.

Very unfortunate...

Damage at the corner of front bumper indicate that it was not a T-bone type impact:

Majority of damage on windshield and roof..

Watching the video of the craziness that occurred in Time Square also reminds me to avoid impact at all cost.

Last futzed with by "A"; May 21st, 2017 at 08:58 AM.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2017, 08:16 AM   #19
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Latest info - http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...ies-fake-news/

Nicky's dad on fake/incorrect news reports.

Old May 20th, 2017, 10:38 AM   #20
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Nicky Hayden's dad is not there, has not seen his son since the accident and only knows what he's been told 2nd or 3rd hand.

It does suck that he can't be there with his boy, but the best information is going to come from Nicky Hayden's mother and brother. This could well be a Michael Schumacher situation where the family won't tell us anything and we never see him again.

Old May 20th, 2017, 12:16 PM   #21
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph42 View Post
Nicky Hayden's dad is not there, has not seen his son since the accident and only knows what he's been told 2nd or 3rd hand.

It does suck that he can't be there with his boy, but the best information is going to come from Nicky Hayden's mother and brother. This could well be a Michael Schumacher situation where the family won't tell us anything and we never see him again.
Still may be more accurate than what's posted on the Internet though. I would expect that Earl got his information directly from his wife.

Old May 20th, 2017, 12:55 PM   #22
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Yeah, probably. But it's also possible his wife is withholding info so his dad's heart issues don't act up. It's even possible that Nicky has already died (or only alive due to life support) and his mom is keeping it a secret. I think it's weird that his dad feels the need to sound off from the other side of the world.

We're just not going to know anything until the family speaks up, and at this point I'm not throwing out any of the rumors. Most of the rumors seem to be based on valid leaks of info.

The family has the right to privacy though, and that's unfortunate. Given the fact that Nicky is a much loved racer, It feels a little mean to keep the public in the dark.

Here it is 3 years after Michael Schumacher's accident and still no info. So many people loved him but his family is still withholding information.

Old May 20th, 2017, 07:26 PM   #23
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph42 View Post
Yeah, probably. But it's also possible his wife is withholding info so his dad's heart issues don't act up. It's even possible that Nicky has already died (or only alive due to life support) and his mom is keeping it a secret. I think it's weird that his dad feels the need to sound off from the other side of the world.

We're just not going to know anything until the family speaks up, and at this point I'm not throwing out any of the rumors. Most of the rumors seem to be based on valid leaks of info.

The family has the right to privacy though, and that's unfortunate. Given the fact that Nicky is a much loved racer, It feels a little mean to keep the public in the dark.

Here it is 3 years after Michael Schumacher's accident and still no info. So many people loved him but his family is still withholding information.
not likely. in fact you probably know less then Earl, so stop with the spreading of BS.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2017, 09:49 PM   #24
CaliGrrl

That's got to be awful for the family- the dad can't be with his son, the wife's away from her husband, part of her emotional support system... And everybody wants to know everything. I hope they have people running a blockade for them to keep the press at a bit of a distance. We hope they release information, but it's up to them whether they say anything.

Old May 21st, 2017, 07:02 AM   #25
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Well we have a family statement this morning. It's not much but at least it's something. Still hoping to hear some good news.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/other...na-MotoGP-news

Old May 21st, 2017, 12:08 PM   #26
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Greg White video for/about Nicky on BEIN:

http://www.beinsports.com/us/motogp/...cky-kid/546530

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old May 22nd, 2017, 09:15 AM   #27
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Constantly being overtaken is dangerous.

In this area there are tons of cyclists on the backroads. Many times there is no shoulder and plenty of hills. I had to slow from 45 to about 5 the other day to wait for a cyclist crest the hill before I could pass. 5 seconds before a car had come the other direction. There's just not room for 2 cars and a bicycle. Someone will lose.

Many cyclists in this area are also arrogant and feel they have "equal rights" to the road. They have rights, but they pick and choose. Sometimes they will stop at stop signs, sometimes they won't. They will ride on a busy 4 lane street (35 mph limit) with no shoulder or bike lane (there are lots of roads here with dedicated bike lanes) and expect cars to either wait for them or go around. That causes a dangerous traffic situation.

They want the rights of a motor vehicle and a pedestrian at the same time - which can put themselves and others at risk.

Hopefully Nicky will recover from this. It hasn't sounded too good so far, but he's tough.

I see this perspective a lot. It's an easy perspective to have when you haven't had the pleasure of being forced to get somewhere by bicycle. Not everywhere has a dedicated bike path to it. You might be on a trail for miles, and out of nowhere, because of some stupid sewage construction project that isn't listed anywhere, the construction guys decide to divert the bike lane onto a busy 4 lane 35mph no shoulder street. where the **** did the trail go? is it coming back? did they even plan the detour correctly? or are they just sending me off into some bullshit diversion and i'm going to get lost trying to make my way back to the path i was on?. I don't want to be on this stupid street. I want to be back on the dedicated bike path I was on. but assholes keep parking in it. and people keep destroying it digging up sewers. and people just sorta stand in it for no reason thinking its a side walk. do you know how mad pedestrians get when you invade "their space"? when you pass them "unreasonably" by only slowing down to 10mph while they are on the bike path. it's easier to use the shoulder in those cases. at least the cars wont try to block you intentionally usually. they just try to open the door into you. it's not that cyclists feel like they have the right to cause traffic. it's that they want to ****ing cycle somewhere, but all you ****ing assholes are making it really ****ing hard to do that. especially voting against funding for cycle paths because you don't cycle. you can't vote against that **** and then complain that they're in your way on the road. ****ing a.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 09:23 AM   #28
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
he died btw.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/m...-a7749876.html

Old May 22nd, 2017, 09:28 AM   #29
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
KY got a lil slower today.... :\ rip
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2017, 10:02 AM   #30
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Regardless legality or who's at-fault, 2-wheel vehicle operators are likely to suffer more severe consequences when impact occurs.
You can argue that you have the right of way.. when impact occurs.. you still have bigger chance to die.
My lesson for surviving is to avoid impact at all cost.
Blaming anyone else doesn't help yourself... nor is cursing at anyone else.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2017, 10:11 AM   #31
backinthesaddleagain

RIP

Old May 22nd, 2017, 10:17 AM   #32
Dave Wolfe
CCS Amateur #501

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 SE 'Booger'

RIP Nicky
Dave Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2017, 10:48 AM   #33
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Well, ****. RIP, Nicky.

Old May 22nd, 2017, 10:53 AM   #34
Chocula
ninjette.org member

Name: Chocula

Motorcycle(s): Lots

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Many cyclists in this area are also arrogant and feel they have "equal rights" to the road.
That is a curious statement, in part because with a few exceptions, such as controlled access highways, they do have equal rights to the road. More so, because it comes from someone who rides a small, vulnerable, 2 wheeled vehicle that is frequently the recipient of that same prejudiced from drivers of larger vehicles. I am not so sure it is the cyclist that is being arrogant.

RIP Nicky
Chocula is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2017, 10:57 AM   #35
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
I'm not so sure all this cycle arguing is appropriate given the topic at hand.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2017, 11:36 AM   #36
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
This sucks!

Old May 22nd, 2017, 04:55 PM   #37
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
RIP Nicky
Prayers sent for the family.

Old May 23rd, 2017, 07:13 AM   #38
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

geeze, gives new meaning to AGAT

ride where the high octane and tires are free Nic.

Old May 23rd, 2017, 08:30 AM   #39
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14

You never know when you'll go, live life to the fullest!

Old May 24th, 2017, 02:42 PM   #40
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

Sad to see this. Everything on 2 wheels is dangerous.