Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Notices

Old July 17th, 2016, 12:14 AM   #281
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
"We never thought we'd find a place where we belong...
Don't have to stand alone we'll never let you fall....
Don't need permission to decide what you believe....

I said jump, down on Jump street"

It could be because I'm still drunk from having a great night at work tonight but I am totally digging these dvds I have of 21 Jump Street right now A total blast from the past for an 80s baby like me lol.
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2016, 02:53 PM   #282
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Watching a few new shows this fall. Enjoying Better Things and This Is Us. I like the first one or two episodes of The Good Place, but it's become less interesting that last one or two.

We got an antenna set up on the roof of our new place this weekend, and can move back to recording all of the network/OTA stuff onto our media center / NAS like we had in the prior house, only using the cable DVRs for the stuff that isn't available for free. Looking at what's left, it does seem like we are paying too much for cable for the few shows we do enjoy on HBO, FX, Showtime, etc.

For folks who do live in a place where it's possible to slap an antenna on the roof, it's still so worth it, and so under-publicized how effective it is to receive perfect HD programming from all available free channels. This $60 antenna picks up everything perfectly from the SF towers, 40 miles in the distance. That plus a $20 amplifier so the signal can be split a few times and still work on multiple TVs and recorders, and it's all working perfectly.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2016, 09:00 AM   #283
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Ah, be nice to have towers that close. Mine are 60+ miles away and picking them up is hit or miss. Pretty much have given up on OTA TV, *le weep*

Netflix popped up last week, telling me it thought I would like Skin Wars. I am SO not into the whole reality show thing (puh-lease!) but it is really neat seeing the body paint creations these artists make on or out of their models. So like all reality shows that have an interesting topic, I just ignore the "drama" since it's all staged anyway.

Almost finished, but one of those more touching episodes they've done is one called "Survive and Thrive", where the artists were tasked with painting breast cancer survivors. First challenge was to paint "about" their models, to tell their story. Second challenge was to create a painting showing how these women are warriors.

Probably the coolest reality show I watched (which is possibly why Netflix keeps suggesting them) was ABC's The Quest. The story was 12 normal people get transported to a different realm where they must compete to prove themselves the "One True Hero" to save the kingdom. There was some minor drama, but overall it was a TV show about a bunch of geeks getting to play in the ultimate RPG. Instead of a host, the contestants interacted with a few actors who had the tough job of keeping the story moving forward and improving in character to whatever the contestants did.

I would LOVE a second season of that one!
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2016, 09:06 AM   #284
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Watched the first episode of that, seems good, been busy so missed the last few though. Predicted the whole dual past and presence theme it had running.

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2016, 09:13 AM   #285
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Ah, be nice to have towers that close. Mine are 60+ miles away and picking them up is hit or miss. Pretty much have given up on OTA TV, *le weep*
What does antennaweb say you'd need for your zipcode? (enter an address close to yours if you don't want to enter your specific one in)

antennaweb form for antenna recommendation

Three potential antenna choices: CM-2020, CM-3020, or CM-5020

+

channelmaster amp with 4 outputs

Should be fine for anything within 100 miles. The only complication is if you aren't aiming in one general direction, and the channels that you do need are in very different directions. The fix in that case is an electric rotator, but that wouldn't work particularly well with a scheduled recording setup. All 3 of those have same 100 mile range. First one doesn't pick up low-band VHF in case you don't need it, 2nd one picks up all; 3rd picks up all, and is more heavy-duty in case of extreme weather. Antennaweb rates the channels with a color coding, and that can be matched up with the antenna specs with that same color coding.

EDIT: Holy crap. I don't know exactly where you live, but I put in Fallon, NV just to see, and antennaweb says that with any antenna, only 3 channels may be available, and they are all Fox. I see the issue.

EDIT #2: OK, I checked the box for "antenna at 30 feet above ground", and then many channels are available, including all of the major networks. If you can get it mounted on a chimney or other location that high above ground, you might get reasonable results. All the major networks are at 246 degrees, so it can be aimed in one exact direction, without a rotator.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old October 18th, 2016, 09:43 AM   #286
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Yeah, most of the stations come from Mount Rose (the 246° line) which is where I have my antenna pointed right now. It's a 60 mile one I picked up at Wal-Mart and have mounted near my ceiling inside the living room. Not sure if my landlord would like me installing an antenna 10' above the house.

I get them kinda, they are just weak signals so a lot of noise, static (?), or in the case of CW non-existent.

Luckily, CW and ABC stream for free and Netflix, Amazon, and Google round out my options. Though I would like to see the Rocky Horror Picture Show this Thursday. I'll see if I can have it recorded for weekend viewing.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2016, 09:56 AM   #287
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Got it! Darned landlords. Do you have any amplifier on the antenna? Might be worth that $20-$30 to try a high quality amp between the antenna and your receiver, and then just return it if there isn't an improvement. With the switchover to digital transmission, things should be much less spotty/variable than in the prior analog world. If it works at all, it should work perfectly, all the way down to a very steep dropoff where the signal is not strong enough for the error-correcting to be effective, and it fails completely.

Old October 18th, 2016, 10:34 AM   #288
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Teri; if you are planning on staying there for an extended time, it may be worth it to you for the expense of a proper antenna. If you have a good relationship with your landlord; they may be convinced to let you install it as it would be a good asset without any cost to them. I've found most landlords and managers are usually receptive to good, practical improvements particularly if there is no expense to them and the work is done appropriately.
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2016, 11:58 AM   #289
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Strong positive review of This Is Us posted today.

Old October 18th, 2016, 10:03 PM   #290
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Great call @Alex! This is us is top shelf! I don't know how many episodes have been aired; I watched my first tonight: almost drowned in the pool etc
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2016, 07:25 PM   #291
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Old October 24th, 2016, 05:42 AM   #292
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Walking Dead:

So since the end of last season there has been the whole "OMG!!!! Who was killed?" thing going on with all to many people's inputs being thrown about.
We finally found out that
Spoiler for topic:
Glenn and Abraham
got greeted by the end of a Louisville slugger with some nasty teeth. Not going to say I was too surprised,
Spoiler for topic:
the comic pointed to Glenn dieing and Abraham was supposed to die earlier, plus Abraham's character was losing it

Spoiler for topic:

Old October 24th, 2016, 09:40 AM   #293
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFY View Post
Walking Dead:

So since the end of last season there has been the whole "OMG!!!! Who was killed?" thing going on with all to many people's inputs being thrown about.
We finally found out that
Spoiler for topic:
Glenn and Abraham
got greeted by the end of a Louisville slugger with some nasty teeth. Not going to say I was too surprised,
Spoiler for topic:
the comic pointed to Glenn dieing and Abraham was supposed to die earlier, plus Abraham's character was losing it
GF guessed who but turned it off when it happened and swore not to watch anymore. "Too graphic" she said.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2016, 10:26 AM   #294
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
GF guessed who but turned it off when it happened and swore not to watch anymore. "Too graphic" she said.
Yea, my gf didn't like that either but then again she is scared of zombies and usually doesn't watch it with me. I just get tired of the long drawn out dramatization of the episodes. They could have cut that episode in half and still got the point across. NEEDS MORE ZOMBIE FIGHTS!!!

Spoiler for topic:

Old October 24th, 2016, 11:11 AM   #295
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFY View Post
Yea, my gf didn't like that either but then again she is scared of zombies and usually doesn't watch it with me. I just get tired of the long drawn out dramatization of the episodes. They could have cut that episode in half and still got the point across. NEEDS MORE ZOMBIE FIGHTS!!!
I agree, they could have done it in half the time and moved on with the story.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2016, 04:03 PM   #296
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
It's Halloween and the "Rocky Horror Picture Show" is running continuously on TV. When I first saw this movie I thought it was pretty crazy, now it seems more normal, since the world has gone more perverted.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 15th, 2016, 04:52 PM   #297
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I finally set up one of the SiliconDust HomeRun Connect gadgets that I bought a few months ago. When I first bought them, I wasn't sure where I was going to be able to mount an antenna and run the cable, so I thought I might need a tuner in the attic. That turned out not to be the case, but I still had these gadgets sitting around. I'm past the return window, so I figured I'd hook one up anyway, to see if it was useful.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GY0UB54/

https://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/

These act as normal TV tuners, hooked up to a normal antenna, with a network output. So once it is connected to power and an antenna, and your home network, many other devices on that home network (wired or wireless) can use the tuner to watch TV. They can be used as external tuners for windows media center, plex dvr, or any other mac/pc setup that needs a tuner. I set up the client on a few of our machines, and it works great. One click, and the app comes up watching live TV.

Old November 15th, 2016, 05:44 PM   #298
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
I agree, they could have done it in half the time and moved on with the story.
Yea but the next episode when they brought a tiger into the mix was great.
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2017, 10:48 PM   #299
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Check out Godless on Netflix. 7 episode series, fantastic acting/writing/cinematography. Jeff Daniels makes for a surprisingly capable villain.

Old November 27th, 2017, 11:40 PM   #300
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
My wife's British, so we get lots of BBC stuff. Check out The Night Manager! Downloaded and watched over weekend. What Bond would've been if Ian Fleming had more stories.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2017, 06:49 AM   #301
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
The Night Manager is worth watching. I need to check out Godless.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2017, 07:06 AM   #302
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
the new Punisher on netflix is great
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2017, 10:41 AM   #303
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
My wife's British, so we get lots of BBC stuff. Check out The Night Manager! Downloaded and watched over weekend. What Bond would've been if Ian Fleming had more stories.
Will do - I had seen a promo for this awhile back, will definitely keep it on the list. Wife was a big House fan, so she'd likely enjoy it as well.

Old November 28th, 2017, 11:39 AM   #304
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Wife was a big House fan, so she'd likely enjoy it as well.
It showed me that Hugh Laurie can do a great job playing a villain.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2017, 12:36 PM   #305
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
It showed me that Hugh Laurie can do a great job playing a villain.
He was also great in Jeeves & Wooster! I think his Bertie Wooster character was inspiration for Philip J. Fry in Futurama. Same mannerisms and expressions.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2018, 11:03 AM   #306
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Cut the cord a few weeks ago. Xfinity bill was topping $320, which is insane by any measure. I tried a few of the streaming services as a trial (DirecTVNow, Philo, Sling, and Fubo), and ended up with Sling Blue as the best choice for us for now. $25/mo, $5/mo for DVR, and it has the vast majority of cable channels we actually would use, even if it's a fraction of the channels that we might have had access to prior. Went to internet only for Xfinity, which is still pricey for unlimited gigabit service, but it's less than half of what we were paying. Even adding on HBO & Showtime through Amazon on top of Sling, and we're still saving $150+ per month, without much compromise.

I did buy new Rokus for all TVs though, which added to the setup costs, but even then it will only be 2 to 3 months to break-even before hitting real savings going forward.

Old September 17th, 2018, 11:05 AM   #307
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Really enjoyed the second season of Ozark on Netflix. Also enjoying the Jack Ryan series on Amazon. I'm slowly going through the last season of Arrested Development, as I missed it when it came out a few months ago. To be honest, I'm having a hard time getting through it. I'm not sure if it's gotten weaker, or it's just not novel at this point.

Old September 17th, 2018, 12:08 PM   #308
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Just started Ozark yesterday.

Mostly on Hulu or Netflix and for the cost right now I stay with my ISP for streaming live but that is a yearly argument.

Spoiler for topic:

Old September 30th, 2018, 08:05 PM   #309
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
A very interesting show I have started to watch on the Velocity channel is Diesel Brothers. They build huge pickup trucks with an emphasis on, you guessed it, diesel power.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2018, 04:07 PM   #310
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Watched the season finale of Better Call Saul last night. Fantastic! Only downer is now we need to wait 12 - 18 months for the next one...

Old June 3rd, 2020, 08:59 PM   #311
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Haven't bumped this thread in awhile. Over the past few months we've fully changed the setup, dumped Sling and converted over to YoutubeTV. Sling was doing price hikes while cutting some channels, and the pricing got too close to YoutubeTV's offering, which is superior across the board. Many more channels, unlimited DVR, and can easily integrate add-ons that I was dealing with separately, now with HBO Max, Showtime, EPIX included together in the guide, rather than getting them a la carte with Amazon channels. Streaming services have gotten a little out of hand, with Netflix/Prime/Apple+/Hulu/Disney/CBS. Altogether it's *still* significantly cheaper than a fully loaded cable bill, but we're watching so little on some of the services that we probably should pause them until we feel like we need them again.

Some interesting shows we've enjoyed include Hunters and Upload on Amazon.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Savage Builds showed up as a suggestion on Youtube a little while ago, and that was also enjoyable: