ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 General Discussion

Notices

Old March 30th, 2018, 08:01 AM   #1
Frank06
ninjette.org member

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): many!

[2015] Keys?

What have folks done about getting spare keys? I tried to get someone to cut from the key code but they said Kawasaki hasn't released that info so I need to get a blank somewhere I guess. I see there's cheap Chinese key blanks on ebay but something tells me you get what you pay for in this area. What have you folks done?

TIA
Frank06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2018, 08:26 AM   #2
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank06 View Post
What have folks done about getting spare keys? I tried to get someone to cut from the key code but they said Kawasaki hasn't released that info so I need to get a blank somewhere I guess. I see there's cheap Chinese key blanks on ebay but something tells me you get what you pay for in this area. What have you folks done?

TIA
I have gotten the Chinese ebay blanks for my cbr1000 and they have worked great for 4 years, just getting some one to gut them can be the fun part, luckily here we have a small store that cut them for me and I had an original to go off of.
As for getting one made with out all ready not having one, the local lock smith always told me if you don't have an original key just take the ignition off and bring it in, there is a code on the inside it to let them know how to cut one from scratch and yes the code is just telling them how deep to cut it so them saying that they don't know how to cut it, tells me there not vary competent.
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2018, 08:53 AM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
I haven't had any issues with key-blanks from eBay vendors. Bought some for my 2003 that didn't come with keys. Got key-code from helmet-lock. Also available by removing ignition-lock. Be sure you get correct blank!!! Examine the photos and measurements to be sure it's the correct one. The descriptions and part# may not be correct.

Next is finding a qualified locksmith. There were many in my area and I contacted about 10 of them through Yelp. Out of those, only 2 were able to cut using key-code. The trick here is they need to have correct software that converts Kawasaki key-codes into cut-codes to input into their automated key-cutting machine. The 4-digit key-code is translated into 7-cuts on the key. Key-code itself is not how to cut key. Most locksmiths only have key-copying machines.

I got 2 master keys made for $50 using key-code only and they both worked perfectly! I then ordered 2 more blanks from eBay and took them down to Ace Hardware and got them copied from the masters for $6/ea. All four work perfectly! Put the 2 master keys and one copy into deposit-box and using 2nd copy.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2018, 12:11 PM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
A decent key shop should have the blank. The "code" doesn't really give you squat.

Most key shops can cut a new key from their blank with a good condition original key.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2018, 03:46 PM   #5
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
My local hardware shop cut a copy for me. It took 4 tries to get one that worked, but they kept at it until they made it happen. Use the key that's in the best shape; I had 2, but one of them was worn enough that it would come out of the ignition on its own, while the key was turned (and it should lock itself in the ignition).

So once you get a good key, make sure you keep one as an "original" and use another one for actual riding.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2018, 12:45 PM   #6
eksine
ninjette.org member

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): 2006 ninja 250

If you just need the code, it's overkill to remove your ignition just to show them a number. I don't think anybody would rip out their ignition lock for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz View Post
just take the ignition off and bring it in, there is a code on the inside it to let them know how to cut one from scratch .
eksine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2018, 05:20 PM   #7
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
It's good to bring in physical lock for them to verify key cut from code works. To cut key from code with nothing else in hand requires the correct software and update-to-date version of that software. Not all blacksmiths will have that.

Luckily for me, the one I went to did and I walked away with 4 un-tested keys. They all worked perfectly!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote