Old February 17th, 2017, 01:30 PM   #1
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Infographic: Why is gear important?

For those who wear the often-seen helment, jacket and gloves but still wear jeans and sneakers, note that three of the nine stats are about injuries below the waist.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

Old February 18th, 2017, 01:32 AM   #2
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

I can never understand people that don't wear good boots & gloves, regardless of whatever else they wear. Your hands are the most important human tool, I even wear an old pair of my summer gloves when riding a bicycle now. We all remember tripping as kids when running & skinning our hands and knees, but at 10 years old they heal in a couple of days.

The same thing at 40mph will take the skin to the bone & have a feel of how much skin covers your ankle bone, nothing & if over 30 the healing process takes so much longer.
ATGATT is definately the best way to protect yourself. When was the last time you went to get on a bike or in a car & thought I'm going to have my accident today ? Never because they are random, so of the most careful bikers I've known have have been wiped out by the stupid people out there, so yours chances are even odds on having an accident EVERY TIME you get on a bike !

YMMV
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 18th, 2017, 06:43 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawk View Post
.........When was the last time you went to get on a bike or in a car & thought I'm going to have my accident today ? .......
Yesterday.

That is something that I think about each time I get on my bike or in a car.
Not only I think about it; I understand the real possibility of that accident happening during that ride.

So far, that approach has worked for me.
I wear my protecting gear, but I work hard on my two other lines of defense.

Copied from
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...56&postcount=6

"Protective riding gear is your backup in case your first two lines of defense crumble. When something finds its way past your first two barriers, what you’re wearing is all you have left. It’s technically a combination of the first and second degrees. Mentally, it falls under preparation. Physically, it protects you from the ravages of the pavement and the elements such as heat, wind, rain and cold that can affect your ability to (mentally, again) concentrate and operate the bike."

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2017, 08:48 AM   #4
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Safety first!
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2017, 11:13 PM   #5
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I gears

Old February 19th, 2017, 08:36 AM   #6
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2017, 11:52 AM   #7
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
dumped my dirtbike yesterday after skipping the boots. Bad idea, my ankle is a bit swollen and putting pressure on it is inconvenient at best after a mini-highside

don't be a dumbass like me kids

Old February 20th, 2017, 08:55 AM   #8
Bigballsofpaint

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Also, it may even literally pay for itself if used. My motorcycle policy covers all my gear as long as its motocycle specific. They paid for my drayko pants, but would not pay for sneakers, i now use the Puma V2 moto sneakers. THey covered jackets, BOTH sets of gloves (i had the gerbing heated liners, and summer type gloves over them), and Helmet of course. Obviously even if they hadn't covered the gear im still glad i had it all on, saved me from serious medical bills im sure. I slid for 100 or so feet after lowsiding at 40mph, it wore a hole through the engine cover on the bike. I had a tiny scrape in the jeans (didnt go through the kevlar, but kevlar did show through), wore through both gloves (but didnt get my skin), wore through a part on the jacket where i had a tire pressure gage in the pocket, and made a nice set of scrapes all up the chin and visor on the helmet.

Old February 25th, 2017, 03:31 PM   #9
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Glad you had your gear on!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2017, 01:31 PM   #10
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
I'm still pulling little itty bitty rocks out of my knee about two years later. I don't think there's a health risk with them being in there but it irritates me that they're there. Any kind of riding pants are better than blue jeans.

Also, I really miss those pants. I'd just broken them in! If the big things don't convince you, there's other things as well.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2017, 09:05 PM   #11
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
it sucks that there's so much emphasis on gear and so little emphasis on making gear that fits everyone. women (especially petite) have absolutely no options when it comes to mx gear and very very few options for street gear.
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2017, 09:12 PM   #12
CaliGrrl

I agree- we need gear that fits us better. Then again, regular clothes have a hard time fitting, too, so I guess I'm not surprised.

Old June 15th, 2017, 09:16 PM   #13
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
And when you do see it, it's marketed as "pillion gear," because of course it is

Old June 15th, 2017, 09:20 PM   #14
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
I just bought a $300 jacket from dainese because they are the only company that makes gear in my size. passenger gear makes no sense because it doesn't matter if you have your hands on the handlebars when you wreck or not, you're still falling at the same speed from the same height.. ugh gear companies are so dumb.
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2017, 09:32 PM   #15
CaliGrrl

Yep. Passenger needs the same protection as the driver does.

Old June 15th, 2017, 10:41 PM   #16
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Yeah I always assumed it was more marketed towards men who are trying to convince their wives to ride 2up.

I still don't understand riding 2up. I enjoyed it as a little kid, but as the one operating the bike, that's stressful, man! and, on a Ninja it kind of sucks.

Old June 16th, 2017, 09:21 AM   #17
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
it sucks that there's so much emphasis on gear and so little emphasis on making gear that fits everyone. women (especially petite) have absolutely no options when it comes to mx gear and very very few options for street gear.
Try this lady, Tanya Jun at motorcycleworks.com. I bought my Yoshmura slip-on mufflers from her and she is a peach to work with. She also won an award for business woman of the year - or something like that. LOTS of motorcycle apparel.

Cheers,

Bill

Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2017, 01:43 PM   #18
CaliGrrl

I did 2-up for a lot of years. Husband rode, so I just got on the back. It was only later that I wanted my own bike so I learned to ride and he started shopping for bikes for me. I've done pillion a time or two since, when we wanted to go out but conditions were less than friendly for my skill level.

No big deal.

Old June 16th, 2017, 03:41 PM   #19
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
I did 2-up for a lot of years. Husband rode, so I just got on the back. It was only later that I wanted my own bike so I learned to ride and he started shopping for bikes for me. I've done pillion a time or two since, when we wanted to go out but conditions were less than friendly for my skill level.

No big deal.
Now that you have your own bike I bet you hate to be a passenger - come on, admit it. :-)

Bill

Old June 16th, 2017, 09:25 PM   #20
CaliGrrl

Well, my own bike is certainly more fun.

But one day the group was going out, and it was threatening rain. I can keep up with the group, almost all the time, but doing it in the rain wouldn't be smart. So my choice was pillion or stay home. That was one of the times I went pillion. I'm not as good at it since learning to ride, so it takes more attention than it used to.

Old June 16th, 2017, 10:07 PM   #21
Ram Jet

Quote:
Well, my own bike is certainly more fun.

But one day the group was going out, and it was threatening rain. I can keep up with the group, almost all the time, but doing it in the rain wouldn't be smart. So my choice was pillion or stay home. That was one of the times I went pillion. I'm not as good at it since learning to ride, so it takes more attention than it used to.
You make a good point about being a "good" passenger on a bike. The person riding pillion is like the person in the sidecar on a sidecar racing bike. I've had people lean to the right when I'm making a left turn. A bad rider can put you in the ditch.

As for riding in the rain good tires are a must. I stay away from these new tires with nearly no tread in the center. They are fine on dry roads. I think people think it's cool riding nearly racing slicks on the street. That's one reason I've always favored Dunlop K81/TT100s on my bike. I recently bought a new set of Pirellis. The first time in my life I have purchased anything but a Dunlop. I purchased them because they had the O.E.M. profile AND a great center tread. I use the front brake in the wet but very gently. I also slow down a-lot.

Bill

Old June 17th, 2017, 10:08 PM   #22
CaliGrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
You make a good point about being a "good" passenger on a bike. The person riding pillion is like the person in the sidecar on a sidecar racing bike. I've had people lean to the right when I'm making a left turn. A bad rider can put you in the ditch.

As for riding in the rain good tires are a must. I stay away from these new tires with nearly no tread in the center. They are fine on dry roads. I think people think it's cool riding nearly racing slicks on the street. That's one reason I've always favored Dunlop K81/TT100s on my bike. I recently bought a new set of Pirellis. The first time in my life I have purchased anything but a Dunlop. I purchased them because they had the O.E.M. profile AND a great center tread. I use the front brake in the wet but very gently. I also slow down a-lot.

Bill
It's a well known thing that riders don't make good passengers unless they're paying attention to doing so. I try to pay attention but it's harder now that I ride myself.

Rain.... been in the rain, not on purpose. Don't much like it. I have to go too slow for my preference. I've got Shinkos on the bike which feel much better than the Dunlops that it came with, which were awful on the grooved concrete that we see sometimes here.

My bike handles ok in the wet but given the particulars of that day, it wasn't the smart choice so I went pillion. I don't really have an ego about going pillion. I mean, I'm riding with my husband, so it's cool. Comfort zone and all that. I've been on the back of his bike for..... whatever it's been since the fall of 1989. Kind of tired. Hard to do math right now.

Old June 17th, 2017, 11:23 PM   #23
Ram Jet

Quote:
It's a well known thing that riders don't make good passengers unless they're paying attention to doing so. I try to pay attention but it's harder now that I ride myself.

Rain.... been in the rain, not on purpose. Don't much like it. I have to go too slow for my preference. I've got Shinkos on the bike which feel much better than the Dunlops that it came with, which were awful on the grooved concrete that we see sometimes here.

My bike handles ok in the wet but given the particulars of that day, it wasn't the smart choice so I went pillion. I don't really have an ego about going pillion. I mean, I'm riding with my husband, so it's cool. Comfort zone and all that. I've been on the back of his bike for..... whatever it's been since the fall of 1989. Kind of tired. Hard to do math right now.
I only rode pillion once that I can recall, with a guy driving. I sure wasn't going to put my arms around him so I had both hands on the rear grab bar. Awkward! Now if it was a lady. . .

Bill

Old June 18th, 2017, 11:53 AM   #24
CaliGrrl

Pillion is much easier with someone you feel comfortable holding onto. I can gauge his lean angle and all and try not to get in the way.