ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 25th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #1
Maelstrom
ninjette.org member

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Adhesive for turn signals

So some of you may have read about by crash a couple months ago, and how I smashed a turn signal. Well, I'd been wanting to switch to flush mounts for awhile, so it provided the perfect excuse!
My only issue is, with the ones I got, you can either drill a couple holes in the fairing to secure them, or use the adhesive sticker they provide. I don't really want to drill holes in my fairings, in case I want to switch back to stock or to another signal that would leave the holes showing, and the adhesive they provided only worked for about an hour. I was wondering if anyone knows of some adhesive I could use that would keep them there securely, and that I could also remove without marking up the plastic too badly?

Thanks!
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2012, 12:15 PM   #2
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
So some of you may have read about by crash a couple months ago, and how I smashed a turn signal. Well, I'd been wanting to switch to flush mounts for awhile, so it provided the perfect excuse!
My only issue is, with the ones I got, you can either drill a couple holes in the fairing to secure them, or use the adhesive sticker they provide. I don't really want to drill holes in my fairings, in case I want to switch back to stock or to another signal that would leave the holes showing, and the adhesive they provided only worked for about an hour. I was wondering if anyone knows of some adhesive I could use that would keep them there securely, and that I could also remove without marking up the plastic too badly?

Thanks!
3M double sided tape. Can be purchased from wally-world or your local home improvement big box stores.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2012, 12:17 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
3M Outdoor double sided tape. Ensure the area is super clean before applying. 2yrs with many pressure/hand washes behind it, the tape is still holding scotts hugger securely to my swingarm.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #4
Maelstrom
ninjette.org member

Great, thanks! Back to Canadian Tire I guess.

And to the Kawi dealer tomorrow just to buy two bolts and a rivet... because every online store wants $35-$50 to ship something that could fit in an envelope. What is up with that?

Old July 25th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #5
iceknyght
Recalculating. . .

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 (sold) '12 Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
3M double sided tape. Can be purchased from wally-world or your local home improvement big box stores.
^^This.

I don't know if you got the same turn signals I have, but the 3M tape is what I used and has worked great! Takes a bit of prep work (cutting the tape and making it work around the curves), but I have had mine installed for about 500 miles now and they are rock solid!

Old July 25th, 2012, 01:11 PM   #6
Maelstrom
ninjette.org member

Yeah, I got the exact same ones. I think the ones I got might be a little old though, because from what I've heard of people buying these, they only come with two wires attached. Mine had an extra red wire- not a big deal, but still a little annoying :P.

Can't wait to get that fixed up now. Next step, fender eliminator! Recommendations?

Old July 25th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #7
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Name: Noor

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ninja 250r

the Adhesive sticker they provide is usually enough. I'm assuming you bought those chinese lights off of ebay.
Monkeytofu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #8
iceknyght
Recalculating. . .

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 (sold) '12 Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
Yeah, I got the exact same ones. I think the ones I got might be a little old though, because from what I've heard of people buying these, they only come with two wires attached. Mine had an extra red wire- not a big deal, but still a little annoying :P.

Can't wait to get that fixed up now. Next step, fender eliminator! Recommendations?
So they have 3 wires instead of 2? That is weird... Mine only came with 2...

I have the Yoshimura rear fender eliminator that I really like. It's a little expensive (around $130-ish), but it's made really well, lets you use the stock rear turn signals (or not, if you don't need them) and has a LED plate light...

http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/ps-4545-...nator-kit.aspx

Old July 25th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #9
2012NewRider
ninjette.org member

Name: SAL

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

The reason why you have 3 wires is because 1 is for them to be running lights. I also have different flush mounts and I used the 3M tape in the above picture with the red plastic. I've had my tape in the rain for over 3K miles. It's outdoor tape so its very strong
2012NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #10
akcalhoun
ninjette.org member

Name: aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 honda shadow phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceknyght View Post
^^This.

I don't know if you got the same turn signals I have, but the 3M tape is what I used and has worked great! Takes a bit of prep work (cutting the tape and making it work around the curves), but I have had mine installed for about 500 miles now and they are rock solid!

im thinking of getting those exact same flush mounts but i have a question about them. ive heard that if i chose an integrated tail light u have to swap those bulbs out to like a 10w or something, do u know if that is true? also how bright are the stock bulbs and if the swap to 10w is necessary would that still be bright enough?

sry i just found my answer it was a problem with an integrated taillight i want and if i wanted the sequential turn signal on it

Last futzed with by akcalhoun; July 27th, 2012 at 08:06 AM. Reason: found answer
akcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote