ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 2nd, 2009, 04:21 PM   #1
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

Rust on front brake rotor?

So I got outta class today and while I was taking off my disk lock I realized that there is rust on the inside of most of the drilled holes and some rust on the edges of the disk. I dont really ride in the rain...have done it maybe 4 or 5 times. As far as I know this is not normal, right? Anyway I can remove the rust without messing up the disk or is this somehow a defective disk?

And the title should be brake sorry im an idiot and have only learned english 21 years ago so dont blame me haha
M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2009, 04:22 PM   #2
kkim

perfectly normal... ride the bike, most of it will get rubbed off from the brake pads.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2009, 04:24 PM   #3
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Well its in places where the pads dont touch the rotor...the outter edge and inside the drilled holes but I guess its normal since the pad doesnt touch those areas correct?

Old June 2nd, 2009, 04:30 PM   #4
kkim

yes. the rotor is made from steel. steel rusts when it is subjected to water/humidity.

just took a close look at mine. there is no rust in the holes... only brake dust. on the outer edges of the disk, where the pads don't touch, it's either shiny or has a coat of black paint around the edge.

perhaps someone used some sort of strong wheel cleaner and took off a protective coating?

Old June 2nd, 2009, 04:47 PM   #5
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Hmm Ive never done that just washed with reg car soap. I used denatureted alcohol to clean my rims before I polished my lip but I know for a fact that I didn't go anywhere near the break rotor and it was all completly washed off before I moved the bike.

Old June 2nd, 2009, 04:49 PM   #6
kkim

dunno... salt air maybe?

Old June 3rd, 2009, 05:13 AM   #7
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Even here at the beach front, with all the salt air and spray and sand, I don't have issues with rust on anything on the bike except links of the chain on occasions when it's been a while since I lubed it and it got wet.

Is there any rust anywhere else on the bike? The brake rotor is pretty good metal, and shouldn't really rust at all, but unless it's on the contact surface, it's more of a cosmetic issue than anything else. Heck, even car rotors will surface rust in just a few days, and the rust will scrub off the first time you use your brakes.

If you notice that rust starts to creep onto the contact surface, though, being a bike, I think I would ride by the dealer and see what's up.

Old June 3rd, 2009, 12:13 PM   #8
CodE-E
Ninja Newbie

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): EX250K9

It rained very heavily over here a few days ago. I had my Ninja covered up, but I didn't pull the cover completely down over the rear wheel, so the bottom of the rear brake disc was exposed to the rain. It stood outside in the rain for a bit over a day, and the bottom of the disc was covered with just. I was also a bit worried about this, but I was very easily able to rub the rust off with just my thumb.
CodE-E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2009, 12:41 PM   #9
camaroz1985
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Rust on the brake rotor is no problem. Look at the rotors of your car if it sits a few days. That small area of rust is not anything to worry about.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:30 PM   #10
Kolya1981
Generic User Title

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): Green 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, Slate 2009 Triumph StreetTriple R

Totally normal on cars and bikes. As far as any protective coating on the braking surface goes. Between the heat generated by braking, rain/moisture in the air, and all the crap on the road, the protective coating on the areas that the brake pads don't scrape does not last long. Its only designed to keep the rotor protected when it is brand new.

Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:26 PM   #11
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Think of it like this. Steel with a higher carbon rating is stronger and withstand heat better. It is also more susceptible to rust because of the higher carbon. Steel will rust faster in higher humidity, and if heated and cooled quickly alot. This is why you see rust on ALL brake rotors made of steel in climates that have moisture in the air (and the more humid it is the worse it is). But as you use the brake and rub it off it all works out. Even if the rust on the edges stays there, before it ever really becomes a problem you'll have to replace the rotors from normal wear anyway.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2009, 05:45 AM   #12
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Ok so basically its ok to have minor rust on the disk where there is NO contact with the pad? I know a cars disk will get surface rust pretty quoick after their wet but once you use them its rubs off. This is not the issue with my bike...the rust is in the areas where the pads don't touch. Ill keep an eye to make sure no rust creeps over the the contact area and stays.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old June 4th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #13
kkim

picture?

Old June 4th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #14
sombo

That rust is fine. If you ever really got a good look at a car's brake rotor you would find the exact same thing. Disk rotors for cars are more like 2 plates with vent holes between them. If you look down the holes you see rust in them that never goes away because nothing ever contacts them. The rotors are steel, steel rusts, nothing to do but keep using them so the rust doesn't have a chance to grow.

Here's an example of a normal car brake rotor with typical rust:

Old June 4th, 2009, 11:28 AM   #15
kkim

sorry... I was asking for a picture of his bike's rusted rotor.

Old June 4th, 2009, 11:30 AM   #16
sombo

I know, that pic wasn't for you, it was for him.