ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 30th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #1
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Question for Clip on users

Did you lower the front forks any when you installed your clip ons? If so, by how much and how much of a change in handling with your stock tires did you notice? What do you like best/least about the set that you installed?

I've read all the DIYs, and I've pretty much decided on the Woodcraft, although I haven't spent any money yet, so I'm open to one last round of thoughts on the subject.

I have a set of Sport Demon tires waiting to be mounted, and I'm certain that the bike is going to feel 100% more planted with those on the rims, but I have at least until mid summer before the stock 501s are worn enough to REALLY justify pulling them. Besides, I'm going to get the wheels powder coated green when I do that!

Just wondering just how much tires, lowering, and clip ons is all going to change things all at once if I go that route. I suppose I wouldn't have to lower the front at all over stock, but just dropping the handlebar point alone doesn't really seem to have all that much of a benefit, unless I'm missing something?

Old May 30th, 2009, 08:34 AM   #2
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

I didn't drop my forks, but the clipons alone make the bike feel easier to flick into a turn. Now i have BT-090's and it's even more furn to ride twisties .
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2009, 08:58 AM   #3
mike_sema
ninjette.org guru

Name: mike

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

man you should check out the sportisi clip ons they have to kinds and are a lot less then woodcraft mine should be in in a few weeks will do a diy with the install

Old May 30th, 2009, 09:05 AM   #4
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

Woodcraft Made in USA $162 http://store.racebikerentals.com/mer...Category_Code=
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #5
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I installed the universal 37mm clip ons from Woodcraft. I dropped the front end 13mm the rear is down 50mm the bike feels better for me because I have long arms. I put them on to race . But I like them enough to ride with them everyday
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clip ons.jpg (118.4 KB, 48 views)
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #6
kkim

Thomas,

How tall are you? If taller than me (5'7") I think you would like the clipons. Gives you more room as you need to stretch to reach the bars as opposed to the stock configuration.

As far as dropping the forks, you can drop them as much as you can until they start bottoming out against the fender. I had my forks dropped about 1.5" prior to the clipons and the bike really felt great in tight turns. I presently have my forks at stock height in the clamps as I'm trying to work out a front end wobble issue and I'm trying not to add confusion until I resolve it.

One thing I find a minus about the clipons is that low speed maneuvering is a bit more difficult. It doesn't feel as precise as the stock bar setup. I think it has to do with the bars being out front of the forks as opposed to the stock bar configuration of being slightly behind.

The biggest advantage is when the speeds pick up through the turns. The bike feels more stable with the clipons through turns. That and you are positioned in a more forward position, much like being in the "attack" position when riding a dirt bike. Bike seems to handle better/smoother at speed.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #7
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Yeah, I'm 6 foot tall, wear a '35' in shirt sleeve and have a 34 inch inseam, so I'm tall and long armed for the bike. Not uncomfortable, mind you, but by nature I tinker with things, and I'm looking at clip ons as a next toy to work with.

Old May 30th, 2009, 05:00 PM   #8
kkim

might want to consider some footpeg extenders as well.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #9
jdkvice
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

6'0" rider here. Just got my clipons from racebikerentals.com, they were amazing, got them 2 days after ordering. Props to them, awesome company to work with. As far as the clipons, I love them. I dropped the bike .5 inch initially, figured it would be a decent start. Rode for a few hours today, even my 6'4" bud was digging them. I feel even more confident on this bike, got my name on a set of them cycle control rearset adjusters. Those should finish the bike nicely. For me, the clipons changed the bike alot more than the pics show. I would recommend them to anyone.

By the way, awesome forum. Long time reader, first time poster.
jdkvice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #10
DerTeufel
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2009 KTM 690 SMC, 2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750 (track bike)

I am 5'6, and sometimes I feel like Ben Spies while riding the 250 (elbows jutting out). Maybe it's because I am used to the reach across the tank to the TL's clip-ons, the tank on the that bike is quite a bit wider and longer than the 250's, and I don't have any issues with that. I guess what I am trying to say is that it is a matter of preference.
DerTeufel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2009, 04:11 PM   #11
Bo21
Normal people scare me!

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r

6'1" 36" inseem. I have toyed with the idea of rearset extenders. THe clip on's I am still up in the air on.

The bike really is not that uncomfortable as it is. I keep watching the opinions on the clip on's.

Old June 10th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #12
stealth250
Gearhead

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
I installed the universal 37mm clip ons from Woodcraft. I dropped the front end 13mm the rear is down 50mm the bike feels better for me because I have long arms. I put them on to race . But I like them enough to ride with them everyday
Any clearance issues with the bodywork? How much lower would you say the riding position is over stock?
I like the look of your setup better than the 250 specific Woodcraft clip-ons.

Old June 10th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #13
VeX
That's me!

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Tis blue), 2008 CBR600RR

If you adjust the clip-ons the only clearance issues you should have would be with the levers coming close to the front cowling on low speed turning. As for the raising of the forks it had a huge impact in handling and I loves it! If I had the money though I'd recommend going with the Woodcraft or SV650 style clip-ons and raising the rearend 1/2"-1" to net you the same effect.
VeX is offline   Reply With Quote