ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 6th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #1
250Rocket
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Too much oil bad?

How bad is it to over fill the oil?

Went in for maitenance and the ****ers put an idiot to work on my bike. ****ing idiot ended up putting way to much. Went back and they syphoned out some but it's still above the line in the looking glass. Now my turn to be the idiot was when I took this as being ok after their explanation. Now 400 km later my bike is making noises. The oil light hasn't come on but i'm starting to think it might be that.

Is it bad for the bike?.... Should i do an oil change right away or just let some of it out? I swear if this ruined my bike even the least.

Back on the road again Season 2010 Dam it feels good!
250Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2009, 08:39 PM   #2
VeX
That's me!

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Tis blue), 2008 CBR600RR

It's bad. Even though oil IS the lifeblood of your engine, I almost err on the side of low oil then high oil. If the crankshaft is able to slap the oil it can/will cause the oil to foam up, it causes a drain on power and will kill your oil in short order.

If you lean the bike over to the left side (when sitting on it), can you get the oil level to go down? If you're tilting it over and no matter what you can't get the oil level to show on the site glass, it's probably way to full. I'd also be concerned with what TYPE of oil they put in...
VeX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #3
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Excess oil can be bad ranging from over pressure to foaming which would reduce the effectiveness of the oil. With the bike level the oil should be between the two lines on the sight glass. I'd first check the level and if it is still out-of-sight high call the dealer, remind him what happened and what you have and ask him what he wants you to do. I wouldn't accept the "don't worry your little head" answer. Just get it on the record there are still issues.

Then get the oil level down to where it belongs.

Old June 6th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #4
250Rocket
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeX View Post
It's bad. Even though oil IS the lifeblood of your engine, I almost err on the side of low oil then high oil. If the crankshaft is able to slap the oil it can/will cause the oil to foam up, it causes a drain on power and will kill your oil in short order.

If you lean the bike over to the left side (when sitting on it), can you get the oil level to go down? If you're tilting it over and no matter what you can't get the oil level to show on the site glass, it's probably way to full. I'd also be concerned with what TYPE of oil they put in...
It was like that (full where even tilted on the stand i saw oil in thru the glass) and i had it fixed asap but he didn't remove it to in between the line. The idiot told me the bike uses lot of oil at high RPM and it'd be ok. Being a noob i believed him. Now 400 km later the bike sounds funny. But right now the oil level is at the top of the glass when the bike is leveled.

Old June 6th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #5
VeX
That's me!

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Tis blue), 2008 CBR600RR

Flashback 10 years ago... I had shoddy work done on one of my first Camaros and noticed that finding a quality shop is difficult to say the least. I have never been back to a shop for any reason ever. It's rather extreme and I don't suggest becoming a mechanic to everyone (to avoid getting crappy work done), but in the case of motorcycles (especially the 250s) they are STUPID easy to work on.

So long story short, for most any maintenance I'd suggest getting a manual and doing things yourself. That and forums are a glorious thing!
VeX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2009, 10:24 PM   #6
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mikel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

Quote:
Went back and they syphoned out some but it's still above the line in the looking glass.
That is a neat trick, there is not enough room down the fill hole to get a siphon hose down there to draw any out. I had to drain it at the oil plug underneath. I was only over 1/4 of a quart.
wyckedflesh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2009, 11:07 PM   #7
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyckedflesh View Post
I had to drain it at the oil plug underneath.
same here.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2009, 04:58 AM   #8
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
In engines class I answered every question on every test correct .I got high honors .The only question I got wrong was.Will excess oil cause oil starvation ? I said no . The answer is yes . Because of the oil foaming . I don't remember any of the other questions .But I sure remember that one.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2009, 09:15 AM   #9
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
Will excess oil cause oil starvation ? I said no . The answer is yes . Because of the oil foaming .
correct... the oil can foam from being whipped up by the crank, which leads to the foam being picked up by the oil pump, which delivers foam (air/oil) to the normally "oiled" parts, which then results in inadequate lubrication. not too good for the crank, too.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2009, 04:50 AM   #10
lockie
ninjette.org sage

Name: don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250R

It must happen a lot. I overfilled my 250 in the first week or so because I was checking the oil level improperly. Took it to the dealer and he immediately took out a special pump they have for removing oil through the filler slot. He restored oil level and gave me a lesson in reading the oil level. You live and learn.
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #11
250Rocket
ninjette.org member

So i drained the excess today. Took out another 200mL or so. Bike seems a bit better now.

Now i got a new quirk. Wouldn't call it a problem but the front of the bike seems to wobble ever so slightly when coming to a stop. Tire pressure is good.