ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 11th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #1
Rocketman
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r special edition

Thunder Powerjet

On a snowmobile forum they were talking about the benefits of this product for sleds that needed jetting changes....so It dawned upon me that maybe this could work with our bikes too, I'm just looking to see if I can get some conversation going between you guys on whether you think this would work or not.

http://www.thunderproducts.com/thunder_powerjet.htm
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2009, 03:23 PM   #2
i916it
ninjette.org member

Name: Sky

Motorcycle(s): 250R 08

Hmmm this looks interesting!
i916it is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #3
Rocketman
ninjette.org member

I'm going to email them and see If I can get some details on installation....as I'm sure some of you are I'm not to keen on drilling and tapping into my bikes carbs quite yet so id like to see whats involved before I get to carried away

Old June 11th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #4
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Works great for top end. My Lectron carbs came with them, they call it a Power Jet (mikuni main jet).

Nice internet pic:
Old pic from my RD430, TZ750 reeds & 34mm Lectrons:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LECTON.jpg (45.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Image1.jpg (102.7 KB, 3 views)
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2009, 04:34 PM   #5
kkim

what's wrong with just selecting the proper main jet instead of being able to fiddle with it?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #6
Rocketman
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
what's wrong with just selecting the proper main jet instead of being able to fiddle with it?
The idea of being able to tune it by turning a nob seems pretty awesome to me....temp changes,mods,etc. Its not for everyone I just thought it would be a cool option.

Old June 11th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #7
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
For the lectrons it was used as part of the jetting, you could turn the screw in or out on the power jet to make it richer or leaner. This was used in conjunction with there needles(needle instead of main jets). You could turn them as little as 1/4 turn, then push them up/down and put the flats towards the motor. They were stamped with numbers, like 4-1. 4 for top end, 1 mid range...... bigger the number the richer, smaller leaner.

Would be kinda of a cool addition to another type carb, easier to tune without tearing crap apart (crap = carb)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lectron needle.jpg (8.9 KB, 2 views)
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2009, 11:31 PM   #8
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mikel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

Quote:
I can go from 1000ft above sea level to 3500 feet above sea level in a couple of hours. The Thunderjet lets you make a quick adjustment to run at either the higher or lower altitude instead of just "dealing" with it.

To give you an idea of how good they work, the bikes running the pro classes at Pikes Peak are not allowed to run them.
wyckedflesh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #9
kkim

I run from sea level to 3500 ft without problems with the way my bike is jetted now. To be honest, how many ride in that differing altitudes and even care about rejetting for the short time they are out of their "element"?

I can see for competition purposes to maximize performance in a height varying course, but that leaves the majority of riders here out.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2009, 12:39 AM   #10
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mikel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

Quote:
I run from sea level to 3500 ft without problems with the way my bike is jetted now. To be honest, how many ride in that differing altitudes and even care about rejetting for the short time they are out of their "element"?

I can see for competition purposes to maximize performance in a height varying course, but that leaves the majority of riders here out.
But your not at a constant change in altitude. Its not like your riding at sea level then up at 3500 feet for the next day or two then back down to sea level. I wouldn't worry about it if I were going from here to San Diego for a day trip, but if I were going to take a trip around the Grand Canyon over a weekend, then it does make it nice to be able to make the adjustment.
wyckedflesh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2009, 01:15 AM   #11
fjyang
ninjette.org member

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): 87 Ninja 250, 90 Ninja ZX750R, GPZ 900r, 02 Moto Guzzi LeMans, 95 Triumph Speed Triple

I can kind of see the option to adjust your jetting on the fly appealing. In CA where I ride ACH angel crest hwy, it can go as high as 6,500 ft above see level and I can feel my bike suffer for sure and I have to adjust my idle screw to keep my bike from stalling sometimes. Its kind of cool accessory to have but I know i'll never remember to flip the switch until my bike stalls :-)
fjyang is offline   Reply With Quote