ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 28th, 2009, 05:17 AM   #1
minuslars
ninjette.org member

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '03 EX250

Opinions on Trading up an '03 for an '08?

I'm considering this, because the '08+ 250r just looks so damn sexy. Just thinking that with a few extra $$$ and a cooperative seller I could have a new(er) bike for not much more than I paid for my '03!

Any opinions on the new bike vs. pre-gen in terms of performance, reliability, quirks, etc?

Also, opinions on trading with private seller vs. dealer?

Thirdly - if I go and trade, should I just trade up a size. I definitely want a larger displacement bike next season anyways. There's this thing in me that just loves horsepower. And more horsepower.
minuslars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 06:50 AM   #2
veyron1001
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Unless if you are trying to build credit, its 99.9% not worth it. Not to dis the next gen, but the newer gen is recorded to have worse performance.
veyron1001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #3
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1001 View Post
Unless if you are trying to build credit, its 99.9% not worth it. Not to dis the next gen, but the newer gen is recorded to have worse performance.

The flaw in your logic is that there are other reasons that one may go from a previous gen to the new one other than performance. Yes I have heard from others on this board who have owned both gens that in a straight line the previous gen will most likely take the newer ones but there are other performance characteristics other than straight line speed. But lets not make this about which gen is better because they both are better in certain things.

If you are 100% definite that you are upgrading to a bigger bike next season...I'd keep the bike you have now. You'll lose money upgrading this time around and probably again next season due to depreciation. Work on your skills and technique for the rest of the season and save your money...youll need it for insurance next year

M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Relevant link.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #5
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

I think there is little difference in performance or reliabilty. It really comes down to esthetics - do you want to pay the extra money to have a bike that you find more appealing visually.

I quite enjoy my '08, but if I had already had an older 250 that was in good shape I would not have bothered to trade it in for so similar of a bike.

Old July 28th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #6
emt250
2 Wheel Newb

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Oorb View Post
If you are 100% definite that you are upgrading to a bigger bike next season...I'd keep the bike you have now.
I think you'd be wasting a lot of your time and money upgrading for mostly aesthetic reasons if you're just going to trade it out again for something bigger in a year, IMO.

But hey, its your money. The 08-09 ninja 250's are gorgeous.

Old July 28th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #7
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Like the above posters have already said. If you already know that you will be going up in displacement than do not trade / sell your bike until you are ready to buy your new bike. As far as what option is better you need to first decide how much you want for your bike and then ask the dealer how much he would give you for a trade in. he does not offer you what you want then try and sell it yourself and it may take time but you may get what your asking for it.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote