ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old May 23rd, 2017, 12:10 PM   #1
Cra1g
ninjette.org member

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS, 2007 Yamaha FZ6

15/42 sprockets on pre-gen Ninja 250

I've been using a 15/45 combination for about month and haven't really noticed a huge difference from the stock setup, so I ended up getting a 42 rear to see how that would do.

First of all, first gear is waaaaaaaay more useful with 15/42 compared to 15/45. I was usually almost always shifting into second going down my street, but I can now stay in first as long as I'm ok with the rpms being just a tad higher.

Secondly, I haven't noticed a huge difference in acceleration. I've heard many riders say that quick acceleration suffers when you go to a 15/42 setup, but I just haven't really noticed that. Granted, I only weigh 150 lbs, but I'm glad that this new setup doesn't completely bog down the throttle trying to get up to speed -- at least for me.

Thirdly (and the biggest reason I wanted a 15/42 combo), RPMs are lower at higher speeds. I haven't thoroughly tested this since I didn't get on the freeway or anything, but it was around 7,000rpms at 65mph and around 5,500rpms at 50mph.

I wouldn't mind even lower RPMs than that, so I'm almost tempted to try a 15/41 setup, but not sure if that would even make a bigger difference or not. In any case, I'm really happy with 15/42.

On an unrelated note, I'm still missing shifts sometimes in 3rd and 4th gears. mostly during hard acceleration. I make sure to apply deliberate pressure to the shift lever, but for some reason it sometimes just doesn't "click" into gear and I have to give it another try (sometimes even another try after that). I have the FactoryPro spring that I'm going to try out and see if that helps, but I've heard that it makes the lever a bitch to shift. We shall see!
Cra1g is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2017, 02:36 PM   #2
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Hi, I run 15/37 on my nonradical moto and 15/33 on my fully streamlined moto. The 15/37 combo works well and is about as tall as one can use without giving up a lot acceleration and ease of uphill starting from a dead stop. The 15/33 combo works OK only with the benefit of the streamlined bodywork and can be challenging for uphill starts. The taller gearing brings down the rpm at 70mph to 7000 for the 15/37 and 6500 for the 15/33. This helps a lot with fuel economy and comfort on the freeway.

Old May 23rd, 2017, 02:41 PM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cra1g View Post
On an unrelated note, I'm still missing shifts sometimes in 3rd and 4th gears. mostly during hard acceleration. I make sure to apply deliberate pressure to the shift lever, but for some reason it sometimes just doesn't "click" into gear and I have to give it another try (sometimes even another try after that). I have the FactoryPro spring that I'm going to try out and see if that helps, but I've heard that it makes the lever a bitch to shift. We shall see!
Your clutch-cable may not be releasing the clutch all the way. Do a push-test in neutral vs. clutch-in:

1. put bike in neutral and push it around
2. shift into 1st-gear, then squeeze clutch-lever and push

Is there any extra drag in case#2? If so, the clutch is dragging and messing up your shifts. Adjust lever for extra throw or tighten the cable (unscrew adjuster).
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2017, 02:20 AM   #4
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
Your clutch-cable may not be releasing the clutch all the way. Do a push-test in neutral vs. clutch-in:

1. put bike in neutral and push it around
2. shift into 1st-gear, then squeeze clutch-lever and push

Is there any extra drag in case#2? If so, the clutch is dragging and messing up your shifts. Adjust lever for extra throw or tighten the cable (unscrew adjuster).
This is the first test^^ then if you don't find your clutch is dragging, try adjusting your shift lever. Any binding can cause missed shifts and the angle of the lever can reduce the throw during a shift and raise the effort required to switch gears. Also make sure you have enough oil in your bike. Lower oil levels can also cause issue with shifting into the higher gears.

Good luck and post up with what you find!

Ducati999
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2017, 07:40 AM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

/moved to pre-gen tech

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2017, 11:52 AM   #6
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
I've been running +1/-2 for years now on my Ninjette, and very happy with it, as I use it mostly for touring and communitting.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 8th, 2017, 12:01 PM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
^^^ Same

imho, this should be the default street gearing for a pregen.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2017, 12:19 PM   #8
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I thought it was funny that when I got my pregen I was amazed at the extremely low stock gearing. I could idle in 1st gear at a slow walking speed, and was through 2nd gear before clearing an intersection. Then I replaced the chain and found it had a 15 tooth front sprocket! I can't imagine sticking with the 14, and I have a 42 ready to go on the rear next time I have the wheel off.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2017, 11:00 PM   #9
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
The only slight downside I've found running +1/-2 is in 6th gear the bike likes to cruise at about 75ish mph, which is about 8k rpm, which is just inside the lower part of the power band.

Local speed limits are 55 mph, so the engine is well below the power band in 6th, which is fine e for just cruising along, but if I need any power I have to downshift to 4th, to get it back in the power band.

I don't find this in anyway a bad thing, or an inconvenience, it's just a fact or running the ratio I have chosen do to I mostly use it for commuting on the highway. If I was using in a city, I would stick with the OEM gearing, maybe a bit more as to have the quick response needed in that environment..

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2017, 06:31 AM   #10
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

15/42

Quote:
I've been using a 15/45 combination for about month and haven't really noticed a huge difference from the stock setup, so I ended up getting a 42 rear to see how that would do.

First of all, first gear is waaaaaaaay more useful with 15/42 compared to 15/45. I was usually almost always shifting into second going down my street, but I can now stay in first as long as I'm ok with the rpms being just a tad higher.

Secondly, I haven't noticed a huge difference in acceleration. I've heard many riders say that quick acceleration suffers when you go to a 15/42 setup, but I just haven't really noticed that. Granted, I only weigh 150 lbs, but I'm glad that this new setup doesn't completely bog down the throttle trying to get up to speed -- at least for me.

Thirdly (and the biggest reason I wanted a 15/42 combo), RPMs are lower at higher speeds. I haven't thoroughly tested this since I didn't get on the freeway or anything, but it was around 7,000rpms at 65mph and around 5,500rpms at 50mph.

I wouldn't mind even lower RPMs than that, so I'm almost tempted to try a 15/41 setup, but not sure if that would even make a bigger difference or not. In any case, I'm really happy with 15/42.

Thanks for your post. I was somewhat on the fence about a 42 tooth rear sprocket. Your post changed my mind. I can get a JT sprocket from Bike Bandit for less than $20.00. I've only ridden about 250 miles on my 2007 since it was purchased in March. Most of those miles were with a 15 tooth countershaft sprocket. I'm still not happy. I have a $20.00 bill burning a hole on my pocket.

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2017, 07:10 AM   #11
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
Thanks for your post. I was somewhat on the fence about a 42 tooth rear sprocket. Your post changed my mind. I can get a JT sprocket from Bike Bandit for less than $20.00. I've only ridden about 250 miles on my 2007 since it was purchased in March. Most of those miles were with a 15 tooth countershaft sprocket. I'm still not happy. I have a $20.00 bill burning a hole on my pocket.

Bill
Oops. Bike Bandit is $28.95 plus $10.00 shipping. I'll have to wait till payday.

Bill

Old June 14th, 2017, 07:21 AM   #12
Cra1g
ninjette.org member

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS, 2007 Yamaha FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
Oops. Bike Bandit is $28.95 plus $10.00 shipping.
$25 shipped on Amazon.
Cra1g is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2017, 08:55 AM   #13
Ram Jet

Quote:
$25 shipped on Amazon.

Lunch on me!

Cheers,

Bill

Old June 21st, 2017, 05:54 AM   #14
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I thought it was funny that when I got my pregen I was amazed at the extremely low stock gearing. I could idle in 1st gear at a slow walking speed, and was through 2nd gear before clearing an intersection. Then I replaced the chain and found it had a 15 tooth front sprocket! I can't imagine sticking with the 14, and I have a 42 ready to go on the rear next time I have the wheel off.
Hey TJ, I got my 42 tooth and installed it yesterday. My 250 is a whole different bike. It's far more "composed" than before. I like the exhaust note better at cruising speed (I have Yoshmura mufflers). I'm running 500 R.P.M. below what I was running at 60 M.P.H. and first gear launches are like a normal motorcycle. Sixth gear is now more like an overdrive. Just so you know I'm now running 15/42 gearing. Don't wait too long to install your 42.

Cheers,

Bill

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 21st, 2017, 06:50 AM   #15
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Thanks Bill. One reason I haven't rushed the change is that my daughter was fairly new to riding. I thought I'd give her a chance to enjoy the extra easy launches from the 15/45 setup for a while. Now that I have the hydraulic clutch actuator installed, she finds launches a lot easier, due to the much better feel of the "friction zone", and I may go ahead with the sprocket change before long. She's also a lot more experienced at riding after almost two years of it.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2017, 12:30 PM   #16
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Thanks Bill. One reason I haven't rushed the change is that my daughter was fairly new to riding. I thought I'd give her a chance to enjoy the extra easy launches from the 15/45 setup for a while. Now that I have the hydraulic clutch actuator installed, she finds launches a lot easier, due to the much better feel of the "friction zone", and I may go ahead with the sprocket change before long. She's also a lot more experienced at riding after almost two years of it.
Good thinking on your part. Before I made the gearing change I did remark to myself that I wish I had the stock Ninja at my licensing road test. Anyway, you'll love the change in the bike's behavior.

Cheers,

Bill