ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 22nd, 2017, 05:26 PM   #1
acook3323
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250

Gas in the oil

Came out to the bike this morning and found oil everywhere with gas in it. It was coming out of the bike like water. Changed the oil completely (drain plug, oil screen, and clutch cover). Now it seems to be happening again. Has anyone had this issue. I tried to start the bike and it wamted to startbut wouldnt ignite..
acook3323 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2017, 06:44 PM   #2
Z1R rider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
Float needle in carb not closing, and petcock leaking, not shutting off. Gas overflows carb, runs into cylinder, drips (or runs) past rings, fills crankcase. Pull the sparkplugs before cranking so you don't bend a rod (if) when it hydro locks.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 11:30 PM   #3
acook3323
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1R rider View Post
Float needle in carb not closing, and petcock leaking, not shutting off. Gas overflows carb, runs into cylinder, drips (or runs) past rings, fills crankcase. Pull the sparkplugs before cranking so you don't bend a rod (if) when it hydro locks.
Changed the oil and tried to start again and got nothing any ideas?

Old May 23rd, 2017, 03:09 AM   #4
Z1R rider

Make sure the gas in the carbs is at the right level, got spark (plugs not fouled), and some compression in the cylinders and it should light. Really hard to give good advice long distance.

By "tried to start" I'm assuming the starter is rotating the engine.

Old May 23rd, 2017, 05:37 AM   #5
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by acook3323 View Post
Changed the oil and tried to start again and got nothing any ideas?
You failed to address the primary problem ..specifically the float system (within the carbs)....which will likely continue to overflow and contaminate the oil....also affecting starting and running.......until corrected.

As Z1 stated, the petcock likely at fault too.
ducatiman is online now   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2017, 07:49 AM   #6
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
You need to fix cause of this problem, not just cleaning up messy results. Imagine you've got fridge with tilted shelf and you come here asking for advice on cleaning up spilt milk on your floor. You say you wiped it up every time, but whenever you open fridge, more bottles of milk fall out and break on ground. You try and shove milk bottles to back of angled shelf and they still fall out. Fix the problem! Make that shelf flat!

In this case, it's most likely that petcock is not shutting off:

1. Make sure the petcock is in the OFF position
2. Disconnect fuel-hose from bottom of petcock
3. Is there fuel dribbling out of petcock?

Btw, stop trying to start the engine until you fix problem!!! You're gonna hydrolock the engine and send a rod out the side of the case!!! It will be safe to start engine when there's no more gas dripping through engine when at rest. And that can only happen AFTER you fix the leaking petcock!!!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2017, 09:37 AM   #7
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
You need to fix cause of this problem, not just cleaning up messy results. Imagine you've got fridge with tilted shelf and you come here asking for advice on cleaning up spilt milk on your floor. You say you wiped it up every time, but whenever you open fridge, more bottles of milk fall out and break on ground. You try and shove milk bottles to back of angled shelf and they still fall out. Fix the problem! Make that shelf flat!

In this case, it's most likely that petcock is not shutting off:

1. Make sure the petcock is in the OFF position
2. Disconnect fuel-hose from bottom of petcock
3. Is there fuel dribbling out of petcock?

Btw, stop trying to start the engine until you fix problem!!! You're gonna hydrolock the engine and send a rod out the side of the case!!! It will be safe to start engine when there's no more gas dripping through engine when at rest. And that can only happen AFTER you fix the leaking petcock!!!
I'm too lazy right now to look but the 250's carbs don't have a float bowl overflow tube running out of each carb? My Mikuni does.

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2017, 12:57 PM   #8
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
250 Keihin 30mm....no separate overflow...the vent system does double duty....vent and overflow out the common rail into the attached big brown hose out the backside.

Just dabbled with some BSDT38 38mm Mikunis (from a Ducati twin) just yesterday...vent and overflow systems are in fact separate.

Old May 23rd, 2017, 01:18 PM   #9
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Also float-bowls dripping will dump at most... 10-15cc into engine? Not gallons of gas.
All that extra gas beyond what is sitting in the floats is coming from somewhere...

Old May 23rd, 2017, 01:31 PM   #10
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
250 Keihin 30mm....no separate overflow...the vent system does double duty....vent and overflow out the common rail into the attached big brown hose out the backside.

Just dabbled with some BSDT38 38mm Mikunis (from a Ducati twin) just yesterday...vent and overflow systems are in fact separate.
I'd like to lose these vacuum carbs and install some Yamaha RD350/400 carbs on my Ninja. Someday.

I thought Duke's ran Dellorto carbs. Yeah, Bill, maybe in 1971.

Bill

Old May 23rd, 2017, 01:34 PM   #11
Ram Jet

Quote:
Also float-bowls dripping will dump at most... 10-15cc into engine? Not gallons of gas.
All that extra gas beyond what is sitting in the floats is coming from somewhere...
Crazy thought, forgive me in advance. Is it possible that the fuel outlet on the tank got connected to the vacuum hose on the left carb and you have a leaky petcock. Hey, stranger things have happened.

Bill

Old May 23rd, 2017, 02:23 PM   #12
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
Crazy thought, forgive me in advance. Is it possible that the fuel outlet on the tank got connected to the vacuum hose on the left carb and you have a leaky petcock. Hey, stranger things have happened.

Bill
Hey, good idea! Certainly a possibility!!

This case brings back warm-fuzzies for me. Back in '88 when I was going to UCSB, I bought an '86 VF500F for just $400!!! Kid had gotten it for HS graduation and kinda abused it and thought he fried engine and locked-up/welded the rings to the cylinders. Starter just buzzed. Bump-starting it just dragged the rear-tyre without spinning it; yup, seized engine, I'll buy it for parts.

Then I unscrewed the oil-filler cap and WHOoosh!!! A couple gallons of gas+oil flowed out like a waterfall! Yep, petcock failed and leaked an entire gas-tank of fuel into the engine's crankcase and cylinders. So I drained everything, cranked out the gas in the cylinders, refilled with oil and made a $3000 profit in just half a day! Yeehaa!!!!

Old May 23rd, 2017, 04:36 PM   #13
acook3323
ninjette.org member

Alright, cleaned carbs checked petcock, checked spark, everything is looking good now but still won't start. The first try or 2 it will almost start but not really keep going but after that nothing will even ignite.

Old May 23rd, 2017, 06:38 PM   #14
Ram Jet

Quote:
Alright, cleaned carbs checked petcock, checked spark, everything is looking good now but still won't start. The first try or 2 it will almost start but not really keep going but after that nothing will even ignite.
Sound like the carbs are flooding. If you pull the plugs are they wet with fuel?

Bill

Old May 23rd, 2017, 06:49 PM   #15
Z1R rider

You have to be sure that the fuel level is right in the carb bowls, and have to be sure the carbs are clean, (I know you already cleaned them) I had mine on and off so many times getting them right, I thought I was going to wear the screws out. These two things are the most common things to keep a bike from running. Don't just take my word for it. Here's a link to a video explaining some symptoms.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/vi...&video=x5bbdku

If your 110% sure the carbs are clean (not just the jets, but the passages inside the carbs also), then I'd probably try new spark plugs, (just because it's easy) sometimes they will fire in open air but not under compression. Next I'd do a compression test, just to be sure things are sealing well and nothing is broken after being full of gas. Then I'd adjust the valve clearances.
If you have these 3 things, air/fuel mixture close to right, a spark at close to the right time, and a little compression (180 lbs is good, should run on 80 lbs) it should run.

PS: Ducatiman has a carb cleaning service that is, from what I gather, second to none!

Old May 23rd, 2017, 07:26 PM   #16
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
^ yup
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the three stooges a plumbing we will go 1.jpg (22.5 KB, 3 views)

Old May 25th, 2017, 05:18 PM   #17
acook3323
ninjette.org member

Got carbs cleaned for the 4th time.. it will start with starter fluid had them professionally adjusted. Petcock is not faulty flow stops when in the off position. I can feel air pushing out when i remove the plugs so it has asst least some kind of compression

Old May 25th, 2017, 05:45 PM   #18
spent_too_much
ninjette.org guru

Name: Miguel

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX-250; several other years of the same

Just a thought. Is there a chance that your fuel tank has a pin-hole leak - or larger? That might explain the fuel on the floor.

Old May 25th, 2017, 06:12 PM   #19
spent_too_much
ninjette.org guru

Name: Miguel

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX-250; several other years of the same

Look at it this way. You now have gained knowledge, and have the satisfaction that YOU fixed your MC yourself. I too try to do it all myself, and in the process learn by trial and error.

Old May 25th, 2017, 06:12 PM   #20
acook3323
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spent_too_much View Post
Just a thought. Is there a chance that your fuel tank has a pin-hole leak - or larger? That might explain the fuel on the floor.
Great thought but no. When the fuel tank is off I have no problems!

Old May 25th, 2017, 06:52 PM   #21
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Quote:
Got carbs cleaned for the 4th time.. it will start with starter fluid had them professionally adjusted. Petcock is not faulty flow stops when in the off position. I can feel air pushing out when i remove the plugs so it has asst least some kind of compression
you later post..."When the fuel tank is off I have no problems!"

These seem to be contradictory statements. In the interest of helping, I must ask you to clear up a few questions...

*am I led to believe the bike is still spilling fuel, as you stated in your original post? If so...*precisely* where/what is the source of the leakage?
*a 4th cleaning and still requires starting fluid? Does it continue to idle on its own, or stall out? How long does it run?
*the petcock should only flow ONLY in on or res position and ONLY if vacuum is being applied...its flowing in ON or RES without vacuum? If so, it IS faulty.

Also, was the bike running ok prior to your original post regarding suddenly finding the leak and a no start situation? In daily use?

Please clarify the above.

Old May 25th, 2017, 09:19 PM   #22
acook3323
ninjette.org member

Quote:
you later post..."When the fuel tank is off I have no problems!"

These seem to be contradictory statements. In the interest of helping, I must ask you to clear up a few questions...

*am I led to believe the bike is still spilling fuel, as you stated in your original post? If so...*precisely* where/what is the source of the leakage?
*a 4th cleaning and still requires starting fluid? Does it continue to idle on its own, or stall out? How long does it run?
*the petcock should only flow ONLY in on or res position and ONLY if vacuum is being applied...its flowing in ON or RES without vacuum? If so, it IS faulty.

Also, was the bike running ok prior to your original post regarding suddenly finding the leak and a no start situation? In daily use?

Please clarify the above.
No more spilling fuel, starts uo for a second then dies. The petcock flows as if gravity fed until shut off and this is tge first time its had issues. The bike ran great for a few months until this point

Old May 26th, 2017, 05:07 AM   #23
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Within the thread, some posts misleading...made it seem its fixed.

So the petcock needs repair or replace

Carbs? 4 attempts? Who's doing them?

I'll submit your carbs need a thorough, comprehensive service and setup

I'd immediately discontinue the use of start fluid....its poison to diaphragm rubbers and plastic slides. Destructive and doesn't get to the root of the problem any way.

Old May 26th, 2017, 07:55 AM   #24
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Got carbs cleaned for the 4th time.. it will start with starter fluid had them professionally adjusted. Petcock is not faulty flow stops when in the off position.
Well, now we have more info to work with! If petcock flows in ON position without vacuum on diaphragm, then it's definitely bad! Also explains how all fuel dripped into crankcase. Kinda a pain to have to remember to turn off fuel every single time you stop. Get that petcock replaced with one that doesn't flow in the ON position unless there's vacuum applied.

There's still a second problem though? How did you "clean carbs" 4 times?

1. By spraying carb-cleaner down the throats like starter fluid?
2. Did you remove carbs from engine?
3. Did you remove each jet individually and floss them with wire?
4. Which of the following fuel-circuits did you clean and what tools did you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Here are the secret passages in the carbs. They are kindof hard to figure out sometimes and this picture guide will show where they are for cleaning purposes.

Carb Pilot jet Circuit

Carb Main Jet Circuit

Carb Fuel and Overflow Drain

Carb Diaphragm Intake, upper choke and vacuum ports

Carb Choke Circuit
I suspect your carbs aren't really "cleaned".

Old May 26th, 2017, 02:42 PM   #25
acook3323
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Well, now we have more info to work with! If petcock flows in ON position without vacuum on diaphragm, then it's definitely bad! Also explains how all fuel dripped into crankcase. Kinda a pain to have to remember to turn off fuel every single time you stop. Get that petcock replaced with one that doesn't flow in the ON position unless there's vacuum applied.

There's still a second problem though? How did you "clean carbs" 4 times?

1. By spraying carb-cleaner down the throats like starter fluid?
2. Did you remove carbs from engine?
3. Did you remove each jet individually and floss them with wire?
4. Which of the following fuel-circuits did you clean and what tools did you use?

I suspect your carbs aren't really "cleaned".
For the passages ive always just used carb cleaner amd compressed air. Any suggestions on better tools. Completely removed the carbs amd disassembled and yes flossed all 4 jets

Old May 26th, 2017, 05:24 PM   #26
DannoXYZ

Good 'ole fashion pipe-cleaners work well for the fuel-passages.

After you try cranking for a while with no start, pull the plugs and take a look. Are they dry or wet?

Old May 27th, 2017, 05:59 AM   #27
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Take a real good look at the tiny transition ports in the venturi...they branch into the pilot circuit...like roots of a tree.

I'll stick with ultrasonic, chemicals and soda blasting....multiple courses as needed.

A home garage setting can't compete with modern, specialized equipment and methods.

Old June 1st, 2017, 04:31 PM   #28
acook3323
ninjette.org member

Okay so checked the carb all ports are allowing fluid through them. The only way I can get the bike to start is if I completely remove the left hand spark plug. If I remove the boot only it will not start

Old June 1st, 2017, 07:50 PM   #29
Ram Jet

Quote:
Okay so checked the carb all ports are allowing fluid through them. The only way I can get the bike to start is if I completely remove the left hand spark plug. If I remove the boot only it will not start
With the plug removed and the plug inserted into the boot and then grounded to say one of the cam cover bolts, do you see a spark at the plug gap when you tun the engine over with the starter motor?

Bill

Old June 1st, 2017, 09:23 PM   #30
acook3323
ninjette.org member

Yes there is a big spark when I ground it

Old June 1st, 2017, 09:42 PM   #31
Ram Jet

Quote:

Thank you Gordon. Three months later and after about a billion postings later I'm still learning. Now, off to find out how to adjust the headlight on a pre-gen.

I don't want to hear if you own a Duke or not.

Bill

Old June 2nd, 2017, 03:57 AM   #32
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
Thank you Gordon. Three months later and after about a billion postings later I'm still learning. Now, off to find out how to adjust the headlight on a pre-gen.

I don't want to hear if you own a Duke or not.
Bill
I'll resist the obvious temptation to post numerous pics while endlessly testifying to its off-the-charts fun factor

Old June 2nd, 2017, 05:08 AM   #33
Ram Jet

Quote:
I'll resist the obvious temptation to post numerous pics while endlessly testifying to its off-the-charts fun factor
You have good taste my friend. I nearly bought a Ducati in 1975 until I opened the gas cap and saw the gas tank full of rust on the showroom floor. A 1970 or 71' Super Sport would do - back when they had genuine desmo gear drives.

Bill