ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old April 8th, 2012, 12:58 PM   #1
beniblanco
ninjette.org member

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 black Ninja 250r

Gas for the ninja in Toronto, Ontario

Looking for any feedback on this issue. I just got my bike on Thursday 2011 Ninja 250r and was about to fill up the tank soon and I have been hearing from people that besides using 87 octane I should stay away from certain gas stations. What I have been told so far is Shell, Petro Canada, are fine but to stay away from ones like Esso and Canadian tire. If anyone has more info on this that would be great.

Cheers
beniblanco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #2
Pudge Ate Me
2012 Ninja 250R Green

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R Green

Well I got a brand new 2012 ninja and I have filled it up about at ever gas station possible so far. I will have to say that Sheetz is by far the worst, you can tell it bogs down due to Sheetz gas being watered down. The best so far has been Raceway and I have only used 87 Octane so far. I do add some type of E10 remover or some crap, i dont know if it benefits it or not.
Pudge Ate Me is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #3
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

You'll get one person that hates one particular brand and another person that swears by it. I've used pretty much all of them in my car and motorcycle and never had any issues so far. What you may get is bad gas from a certain local station but I doubt that would translate across an entire retail brand. Esso used to have a bad rep back in the day when they supposedly had higher sulphur content than the other brands but that has changed now and they meet all government regulations in regards to sulphur content. In fact, they are now listed as a Top Tier gasoline retailer in Canada along with Chevron Canada and Shell. Notice how other "reputable" brands like Suncor (Petro Canada/Sunoco) are not listed.

If you unsure what Top Tier gasoline is, you can Google it and decide whether the recognition holds any true substance or is merely politics and marketing. Canadian Tire doesn't refine their own gas and they buy it under contract or on the spot from the other big name labels. So when you buy Canadian Tire gas, you could be in fact buying Esso gas although with a slightly different additives package.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #4
zzrguy
ninjette.org member

Name: Lostboy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 ZZR 250

Exclamation

87? is that what the new ninja takes? dam my 02 zzr takes 91
zzrguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #5
kamikaze
ex-ninjette.org guru :o

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV1000 S

I've used everythign in ontario, from petro and shell to no-name up north in muskoka. Since I've shimmed my needles, I try to only put Shell 91 in it, but before it was happier on 87.
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #6
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Name: Solon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), 2007 SV650s (deer wrecked), 2010 Suzuki SV650S

I've used Shell, Petro Canada and Esso, and my bike runs well on all three.
Slono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2012, 06:58 AM   #7
beniblanco
ninjette.org member

I guess I will stick with either Petro, Shell, or Esso. What I was hearing from some people was that some of the additives that they add for vehicle engines don't work so well with motorcycle engines and could cause problems in the future.

Old April 9th, 2012, 09:00 AM   #8
ride2rideagain
total N00B

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

All gas is fine. If the bike is to sit for long without being ridden, I recommend supreme fuel, my preference is Shell V-Power. No ethanol conversion keeps the fuel from degrading in to gunk.
ride2rideagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2012, 11:51 AM   #9
beniblanco
ninjette.org member

Just wondering does anybody add anything extra to there gas while filling up? Like cleaner or octane boost.

Old April 10th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #10
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by beniblanco View Post
Just wondering does anybody add anything extra to there gas while filling up? Like cleaner or octane boost.
For fuel system cleaners, it's not necessary if you run the bike regularly and it exhibits no issues. You can add your favourite fuel stabiliser to the gas before storing the bike for the winter or if the bike sits for anything longer than a few weeks.

Products like Sea Foam and Stabil also clean the fuel system. When you put fresh gas in the spring for that first tank or 2, add some of the product as per its directions to help keep the fuel system clean. As for other products like octane boost, I'd say keep your money in your pocket for something else more worthwhile and necessary. The 250R is really a simple bike and doesn't need anything much else beyond what the specs call for. Just gas her up and go.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote