ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 26th, 2012, 12:08 PM   #1
Sigma.40
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 1999 "1000cc" ZX9R

Riding a motorcycle gives me road rage when I'm driving a cage.

Since I've taken up riding I've noticed that I have been a little more aggressive when I am driving my car. I just drove my wife to work and on the way there I was cut off twice. Then a woman was on her cell phone and was swerving all over hers and my lane nearly hitting us. When I was in front of her she was right on my a** still on the phone so, naturally , I slammed on the brakes which pissed her off, but made her back off. Then, after dropping my wife off, I was making a left turn at a light and as I turned into my lane, some old b**** runs a red light, crosses 2 lanes of traffic and lands right in front of me going like 5 mph. I laid on the horn and slammed on the brakes so hard I slid sideways a bit. I gunned it up next to her and honked until she was looking at me, then flipped her off. She seemed to have no idea why I was pissed. And on top of that, there was a ******* cop watching the whole thing, yet, he didn't lift a finger.
Sigma.40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #2
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

I'm the exact opposite. After I started riding, every time I find myself driving my cage, I tend to get very cautious, I not only signal and check mirrors when changing lanes but also do a neck swivel...didn't use to do that before...it's like I get my fix for speed on my bike, I don't need to do anything wild with my car.
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2012, 12:28 PM   #3
Sigma.40
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthioKnight View Post
I'm the exact opposite. After I started riding, every time I find myself driving my cage, I tend to get very cautious, I not only signal and check mirrors when changing lanes but also do a neck swivel...didn't use to do that before...it's like I get my fix for speed on my bike, I don't need to do anything wild with my car.
I'm not much for speeding in the car and I've always turned my head before a lane change. But its now irritating me that so many people drive like s***. I'm one of the seemingly few who CAN drive well and talk on the phone while driving but usually the most I do is answer my phone, for certain people, to tell them I'll call them back.

Old April 26th, 2012, 12:28 PM   #4
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Diving my car after getting my bike gave me road rage as well. I just got so angry in the car because I couldn't get through traffic in my car like I could with the bike. I have always been a cautious driver and always check my mirrors and check over my shoulder before switching lanes even before I owned a bike. My rage comes from my slow ass car and not being able to just swerve through traffic. lol
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2012, 12:30 PM   #5
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma.40 View Post
Then a woman was on her cell phone and was swerving all over hers and my lane nearly hitting us. When I was in front of her she was right on my a** still on the phone so, naturally , I slammed on the brakes which pissed her off, but made her back off.
Future hood ornament much? >.>

Old April 26th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #6
Sigma.40
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusninja View Post
Future hood ornament much? >.>
Well, I was in a car so I am not sure how I would end up as a hood ornament. Besides, I've got excellent insurance and need a new car anyway.

Old April 26th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #7
Ninja1
ninjette.org member

Name: Chadi

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Right on! I'm with you on the shoulder check Hopefully I won't get any other reflexes such as putting down the kickstand when I park
Ninja1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #8
SCREEM
ninjette.org member

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R, 08 connie 14, 08 honda ruckus(gave to mom)

I commute in the cage to the city and back in the off season. and since the visibility, agility and responsivness of a car is lacking compared to 2 wheels. I just get in the right lane during the rush and leave 2 truck lenths from the person in front of me...I get home much more relaxed then if I was always pushing or following very close to not get cut off. Try it...takes an extra 5-10 minutes to get home and is well worth it. The entertainment value of watching ppl run around like chickens with no heads is priceless.
SCREEM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #9
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma.40 View Post
Well, I was in a car so I am not sure how I would end up as a hood ornament. Besides, I've got excellent insurance and need a new car anyway.
oh i tripping i miss took it i though you were on a bike bad sleep >.>

Old April 26th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i find the horn is not good enough. wait until they slow down/stop, then yell at them directly. insults and coarse words are much more effective than a simple horn.

i suppose the ideal situation would be an amplified bull horn so you can yell at them instantly...

"*click, whine* WHAT IS YOUR MAJOR MALFUNCTION! DO YOU KNOW HOW TO OPERATE A VEHICLE? DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT YOU ARE COMPLETELY RETARDED? PLEASE GTF OFF THE ROAD BEFORE YOU MURDER SOMEONE WITH YOUR INCOMPETENCE"

Old April 26th, 2012, 01:54 PM   #11
iceknyght
Recalculating. . .

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 (sold) '12 Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter View Post
I feel like singing

"Despite all my rage I am still just drivin a cage"
Nice...

I find myself noticing how badly the other motorcycle riders are riding now that I ride too... I drive the same in my cage(s) as I did before, but I ride less aggressive on the bike for sure... It annoys me when I see other riders riding like an a$$hat... Especially while I am riding! I create some distance, as if to say, I am not associated with that guy! LOL!

Old April 26th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #12
Sigma.40
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREEM View Post
I commute in the cage to the city and back in the off season. and since the visibility, agility and responsivness of a car is lacking compared to 2 wheels. I just get in the right lane during the rush and leave 2 truck lenths from the person in front of me...I get home much more relaxed then if I was always pushing or following very close to not get cut off. Try it...takes an extra 5-10 minutes to get home and is well worth it. The entertainment value of watching ppl run around like chickens with no heads is priceless.
There is truth in these words, definitely. I do this, sometimes, when we are travelling long distances. I sit in the right lane with the cruise set near the speed limit. Never have to worry about passing or slowing down, just kick back and relax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i find the horn is not good enough. wait until they slow down/stop, then yell at them directly. insults and coarse words are much more effective than a simple horn.

i suppose the ideal situation would be an amplified bull horn so you can yell at them instantly...

"*click, whine* WHAT IS YOUR MAJOR MALFUNCTION! DO YOU KNOW HOW TO OPERATE A VEHICLE? DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT YOU ARE COMPLETELY RETARDED? PLEASE GTF OFF THE ROAD BEFORE YOU MURDER SOMEONE WITH YOUR INCOMPETENCE"
If people would roll down the damn windows I would. A few months ago some old guy cut me off (in the cage, again) within inches of my front end. When I honked, he gave ME the finger. I followed that guy for miles and then followed him all throughout the mall parking lot. He knew I was following him because when he parked I pulled up behind his car and waited. He wouldn't get out.

Old April 26th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #13
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

3 letters... P I T
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #14
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
side note; flew into traverse city when i went to michigan. nice place! stayed in arcadia a short ways away. love that place!

Old April 26th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #15
Sigma.40
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
side note; flew into traverse city when i went to michigan. nice place! stayed in arcadia a short ways away. love that place!
It really is. Its a ways from any freeways so it keeps alot of the garbage out. Summers get a bit crowded but I like it here anyway. With the exception of my 4 years in the military, I've been here since I was 7 in 1989.

Old April 26th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #16
Sigma.40
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
3 letters... P I T
That would be hilarious!

Old April 26th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #17
loz944
ninjette.org guru

Name: Laurence

Motorcycle(s): Green 2012 Ninja 250SE and a Yamaha fino scooter (my wife's really)

With me I rode bikes several years before i took my car Test and it showed. I looked out for bikes more double checked the blind spot (shoulder check) etc .

then I stopped riding bikes for some 20 years but even in all that time I did not get out the habit of Think once think twice Think bike ...

Now that I live in Asia I find I get rage at the other cars & bikes for being stupid then again it aint there fault the test is a complete Joke for both licences no road work at all in either.

closed course work very simple manoeuvres. for cars its 1.drive forward turn right park next to a Curb less than 25cm away (most fail this) 2. reverse park in a box 3. drive forward then reverse straight.

for bike its 1. drive over a ramp that is about 5 inches of the ground and 4 meters long and a foot wide without dropping of or putting a foot down .
2. turn left with proper indicators
3 turn right with proper indicators.

so when I think I was a professional driver in the UK with advanced driver licence it is no wonder these people dont have a clue and they all drive/ride like Budda will save them as they have a different outlook on Death to us in The west.

Think yourselves lucky you drive in a country where there are proper tests and training lol

Old April 26th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #18
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Sounds to me like riding just opened your eyes to the idiots that have always been there. I notice them all the time in my car and I don't ride yet. Just be careful with those brake checks. In some states, it's illegal.

Old April 26th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #19
Sigma.40
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious Logic View Post
Sounds to me like riding just opened your eyes to the idiots that have always been there. I notice them all the time in my car and I don't ride yet. Just be careful with those brake checks. In some states, it's illegal.
A squirrel ran out in front of me, I had no choice . In Michigan, at least, in a rear end collision the rear driver is at fault 99.99999% of the time. My father-in-law got a ticket when the lady in front of him at a stop light randomly threw her car in reverse and hit the gas .

Old April 26th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #20
checho323
ninjette.org guru

Name: Checho

Motorcycle(s): Harley Street 750

Thumbs up

Quote:
checho323 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #21
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Sounds like it just made you a decent cager. Speed doesn't really have much to do with checking your mirrors, doing a shoulder check and signaling before you change lanes...

Old April 28th, 2012, 11:01 PM   #22
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

head checks are a must, every single time you merge/switch lanes. EVERY TIME.

it blows my mind when people literally pass by me in another lane, then try to pull in my lane (and into me) like I never was there. or they are too lazy to brake and wait for someone to turn from in front of them so they just cruise on over into the next lane without looking.
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote