ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:26 PM   #1
az3200
ninjette.org member

Name: AZ

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

-Vent

Edit: Title "Clutch Cable About To Snap"

I'm kind of stressing, the clutch cable on my 250 is about to snap right at the lever. I just noticed this tonight when i noticed the lever needed to be tightened. I think i got the basic concept down of shifting without the clutch, but any pointers or advice from someone that's gone through this would be nice. Since i noticed it, i've been clutchless upshifting as much as possible, but still relying on it for stops and the low gears.
Basically, let the bike stall or hit the kill switch at lights/stops.. start in 1st with a little throttle and go.. and when i downshift, let the rpms fall low and blip the throttle. is this correct?

Hopefully I can get this cable QUICK. I'm a commuter with no car..need to get to work in the morning. any way to rig it or prolong the rest of it's short life? Honestly, I didn't take a good look it was dark out. What i saw was the majority of the cable was ripper at the lever and only a few strands intact.
az3200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:47 PM   #2
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Don't lose the little cable-end drum that goes on the hand lever end of the cable. And when you get the new cable, duct tape it to one end of the clutch cable you're removing and pull the new cable through so you get the routing correct.

You can ride (or drive a car) with no cliutch if you have to. On the bike, while stopped in neutral, push off forward and click it into first gear (can't really push off in a car...). Use the throttle to match engine speed/load to the correct shift points: tough to explain in words, but not that difficult if you gotta do it to get home.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:49 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
The cable breaks when it gets bent.
They last forever if only under pure pulling forces.
The most common reason for bending is poor lubrication of the head of the cable against the lever.
The remaining threads may hold for a few more days if the head gets lubricated now (oil would be enough for that purpose).

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Can_I_r...able_breaks%3F
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:55 PM   #4
dcj13
Participant

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
The cable breaks when it gets bent.
They last forever if only under pure pulling forces.
The most common reason for bending is poor lubrication of the head of the cable against the lever.
The remaining threads may hold for a few more days if the head gets lubricated now (oil would be enough for that purpose).
True, that!

Old January 22nd, 2014, 10:24 PM   #5
az3200
ninjette.org member

Thanks guys.

Old January 23rd, 2014, 03:57 AM   #6
fast1075
ninjette.org guru

Name: harry

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250, 2004 Buell XB12s, Honda 110 Elite

cable lube trick

Old fart trick. Remove the lever, drill a hole in the top of the lever directly above the location of the cable barrel. Drop of oil every so often keeps things well lubed. I haven't broken a cable at the barrel fitting in something like 30 years.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 05:48 PM   #7
az3200
ninjette.org member

well guys, it snapped today about 2 miles into my ride even after i lubbed the hell out of it. I'm thinking it's the original cable, and the bike has 43kmiles (19 being mine i guess it was just it's time :/

so i made the remaining 30 mile round trip to work without the clutch at all. Not sure if learning and doing this in the morning Orlando rush hour traffic was a good thing, or bad thing. I did almost get rear ended when i was first at the light and it turns green and I stalled. Overall I think I stalled it 2 or 3 times on the way to work, and zero times on the way back, which was also during rush hour. The pushing off and sliding into first really helps. It slips right in. going through second and 3rd were pretty jerky, but the rest of the gears i could do kinda smoothly. A lot of my down shifts were pretty smooth, some non existent. I'm surprised how easy it is to ride without using the clutch at all.

Luckily I'm off work tomorrow and the shop in town has them instock, $18. Only hiccup is that it's about a 50mile roundtrip, half highway miles. How much damage am I doing riding like this? I might be able to get a ride though...keyword might.

Old January 23rd, 2014, 06:00 PM   #8
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
Originally Posted by az3200 View Post
Edit: Title "Clutch Cable About To Snap"

I'm kind of stressing, the clutch cable on my 250 is about to snap right at the lever. I just noticed this tonight when i noticed the lever needed to be tightened. I think i got the basic concept down of shifting without the clutch, but any pointers or advice from someone that's gone through this would be nice. Since i noticed it, i've been clutchless upshifting as much as possible, but still relying on it for stops and the low gears.
Basically, let the bike stall or hit the kill switch at lights/stops.. start in 1st with a little throttle and go.. and when i downshift, let the rpms fall low and blip the throttle. is this correct?

Hopefully I can get this cable QUICK. I'm a commuter with no car..need to get to work in the morning. any way to rig it or prolong the rest of it's short life? Honestly, I didn't take a good look it was dark out. What i saw was the majority of the cable was ripper at the lever and only a few strands intact.
If you need to stop just hit the kill switch if you need to start I leave it in first hit the starter and go.

Old January 23rd, 2014, 06:32 PM   #9
dcj13
Participant

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by az3200 View Post
well guys, it snapped today about 2 miles into my ride even after i lubbed the hell out of it. I'm thinking it's the original cable, and the bike has 43kmiles (19 being mine i guess it was just it's time :/

so i made the remaining 30 mile round trip to work without the clutch at all. Not sure if learning and doing this in the morning Orlando rush hour traffic was a good thing, or bad thing. I did almost get rear ended when i was first at the light and it turns green and I stalled. Overall I think I stalled it 2 or 3 times on the way to work, and zero times on the way back, which was also during rush hour. The pushing off and sliding into first really helps. It slips right in. going through second and 3rd were pretty jerky, but the rest of the gears i could do kinda smoothly. A lot of my down shifts were pretty smooth, some non existent. I'm surprised how easy it is to ride without using the clutch at all.

Luckily I'm off work tomorrow and the shop in town has them instock, $18. Only hiccup is that it's about a 50mile roundtrip, half highway miles. How much damage am I doing riding like this? I might be able to get a ride though...keyword might.
Good for you! You've learned a skill that you didn't have yesterday, you're a better, more skilled rider, you have a mechanical appreciation for what a great invention the clutch is, and at $18, they might as well give it to you, because that's a steal!

The bike'll be fine: you wore some of the sharp edges off of the shift dogs. No harm. Congratulations!

Old January 23rd, 2014, 07:15 PM   #10
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdip View Post
If you need to stop just hit the kill switch if you need to start I leave it in first hit the starter and go.
I didn't realize that the 250 would let you start in 1st without clutch (granted I usually start in neutral so I wouldn't really know anyway)

edit: don't worry about any damage done riding without the clutch, it'll take a lot more than 1 day of clutchless riding to damage a straight transmission like the ones in our ninjettes
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2014, 07:20 PM   #11
dcj13
Participant

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
...don't worry about any damage done riding without the clutch, it'll take a lot more than 1 day of clutchless riding to damage a straight transmission like the ones in our ninjettes
True, what he says!

Old January 23rd, 2014, 07:34 PM   #12
fishdip

Quote:
I didn't realize that the 250 would let you start in 1st without clutch (granted I usually start in neutral so I wouldn't really know anyway)

edit: don't worry about any damage done riding without the clutch, it'll take a lot more than 1 day of clutchless riding to damage a straight transmission like the ones in our ninjettes
Mine will if the kick stand is up. Funny story how I found out.

Old January 23rd, 2014, 07:36 PM   #13
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdip View Post
Mine will if the kick stand is up. Funny story how I found out.
you popped an unexpected wheelie on start because you somehow didn't stall?

Old January 23rd, 2014, 07:47 PM   #14
fishdip

Quote:
you popped an unexpected wheelie on start because you somehow didn't stall?
I wish that been epic. No I was setting on it with my son on the tank and he is play driving Hits the button and it kicks out and I rather save him so in doing so I dropped the bike..

Old January 23rd, 2014, 07:49 PM   #15
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
well, if it's any consolation. you definitely made the right choice.