ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Notices

Old July 26th, 2017, 07:04 PM   #1
Lazarus
ninjette.org member

Name: RJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Didnt crash but came pretty dang close

https://youtu.be/YzLl2WQO_Us

Description in video, just figured I would re-post it

Comments and critique welcome

IMO Things I did right:
-Identified the doe early
-Applied rear and front brake pretty evenly
-Chose to brake OR swerve (obviously chose brake)
-Was VERY lucky (I didnt have anything to do with this one)

IMO Things I did wrong:
-Target fixated on the deer after it was clear of myself and my bike
-Applied a little to much rear brake. The video doesn't show it but the rear started to slide out to the right
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2017, 07:31 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
A bit of luck was with you and a decent amount of skill as well.

I know this because... I bet like you, I have lived driving roads like this for 30yrs. Your video is my everyday drive.

Now... Assuming you know this area, then you know the hotspots for deer and their movement habits in the area based on weather patterns and food/water resources. Knowing these things has helped me avoid most deer for 15yrs while living in a "natural resource" area.

One of the things you didn't mention that you did right or wrong was vision. How do you think you did in that area? Honestly, if it were not for my vision skills and line selection skills, I would have hit many more deer in my time driving in the backwoods of KY.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2017, 07:43 PM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
That was a straight line stop you did, and a good job of it. But with my Ninja 250, the fastest straight line stop I can do will lift the rear wheel slightly. This means I wouldn't touch the rear brake in a case like this because it can't make me stop any faster, but it will certainly skid the rear tire.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2017, 08:06 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Full disclosure, I have hit 2 deer AND a cow!!!! (in the cage) in the 15yrs I have lived in my current house.

Me: 13yrs trouble free
Wildlife: got me for 2yrs for the total for roughly $3k damage out of pocket. Insurance varies by state.

Lesson learned...
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2017, 10:35 PM   #5
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
I went under horse once...
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2017, 11:10 PM   #6
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
I'm glad you were able to brake and avoid hitting the deer! Hitting something like that can really put a damper on your day.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2017, 06:57 AM   #7
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Well done for avoiding it.

It kinda looks like you're just left of the centre of your road-lane. If that's where you are, that's what I do. Just left of centre means your wheels are rolling over the part of the road where car wheels drive. This means the road surface is more likely to be clear of debris. Being just left of center also means you are further from the hedge so if a critter does jump out, it has a further distance to travel before it intersects with your path of travel. You also have greater visibility of the hedge from that left of centre position.

(I actually ride right of centre over here, but that's equivalent to your left of center because we drive on the left side of the road)

Also: I'm with Triple Jim. I don't quite get my rear wheel off the ground, but my braking during an emergency stop is all about the front wheel (assuming a smooth, dry and clean road like you had). I partly focus on just the front wheel, because of my own limitations. I feel like I can properly focus on my front wheel braking and do a good job of maximizing the braking force with it, without losing traction. If I have to split my focus to what I'm doing with the rear brake as well, then I don't feel like I can do a good job with either.

LOL @ Chris for hitting a cow. I hope you and the cow were ok though.

Old July 27th, 2017, 07:46 AM   #8
Lazarus
ninjette.org member

Thanks everyone. Ya I shouldn't have used the rear brake like I did, it's a bad habit I have during emergency braking. The back starting to slide out is my indication to let go and re apply slight pressure again. Although I'm very impressed with what the front brake can do with a good rotor, pads, and a stainless line.

My vision is focused on the 11-1 o clock area with quick occasional glances at my mirrors for rear view feedback. I've always encountered hazards in that field of view. I like to think I have quick reaction time and excellent reflexes (lots of video games and sports to thank for that)
always ride just right of center and make sure to look at least 10-15 seconds ahead of me and I say a little prayer before my rides.

Old July 27th, 2017, 08:02 AM   #9
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
I went under horse once...
Pics or it didn't happen.

To the OP: Nice job. This is why I maintain that crashing is not inevitable, but always possible.

Pertinent thread here: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=299741

Things I see that kept you out of trouble and prevented one of those "inevitable" crashes:

- You were riding at a speed that gave you time to react. Speed limit was 40 and you weren't going much, if any faster than that. A squid would have been pushing 70-80 and not been able to haul up in time.
- Your bike was positioned so that you had room to react. Had you chosen to swerve you could have gotten away with it, possibly even to the right since the deer was headed left.
- You were clearly looking ahead and paying attention, so you gave yourself even more time to react. Evidence is that you got out of it immediately when the deer appeared.
- You didn't panic brake (lock the front) or chop the throttle instantly.
- You didn't make any sudden steering inputs.

PS: Love the sound of the hooves clicking on the pavement!

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2017, 11:55 AM   #10
Lazarus
ninjette.org member

^^I was just reading that thread the other day! Good info in there. Not sure what side I would lean to but since I've already crashed I have a biased and am EXTRA cautious in all that I do on 2 wheels now. I'll never forget the sound of my bike sliding across gravel... wakes me up at night...

Old July 27th, 2017, 12:20 PM   #11
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
A squid would have been pushing 70-80 and not been able to haul up in time.

Not that I'm recommending riding that fast in environment, but had he been going 70 or 80, presumably he would've passed in front of the deer before the deer got to him.

In my case I hope that the hedge-creatures hear my bike making a ton of noise well before I get to them so they either freeze up or jump out well in advance of me arriving. So far I haven't had anything jump out on me. Except maybe the odd mouse or squirrel... which you don't need to brake for. I'd feel bad about it though if I did squish one.

Old July 27th, 2017, 01:00 PM   #12
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Squirrels are a problem when I'm riding my bicycle. I had one panic and jump right into the spokes of my front wheel. Luckily he bounced off and didn't get jammed in the fork. I learned that a little high pitched noise like me going "Psssssst" will make them run away, rather than running back and forth in front of me. Any similar things a motorcyclist could do for other animals would be an experiment, I guess.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2017, 01:55 PM   #13
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
I got taken out by a cat on my bicycle.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2017, 11:02 AM   #14
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Glad you missed her. That's a very common occurrence for me in the area I live in especially during those 5am work drives surrounded by corn fields. I grew up in a farm town so it definitely helped me develop an eye for deer and other animals. I hit a cow once in a 1988 Blazer and it left a pile of cow **** on the side of my truck. It lived, so did the Blazer. Have come close to smearing a dear on my Ninja but not happened. Would love to keep it that way. I'm sure I would be the one who gets smeared. This is a pretty dangerous time of year. Well done avoiding a possible nightmare.