ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 28th, 2010, 09:54 PM   #1
HorizonXP
ninjette.org member

Name: X

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250 SE Lime Green/Diablo Black

Oil filter change - missing parts

So I went to change my oil filter and oil today, as my valve adjustment seems to have gone well. Switching from OEM to the K&N KN-401.

I pull the drain plug, then the oil filter, and let the oil drain out. Left the oil filter assembly, filter side down, in the oil pan and went away. Came back a few hours later to empty the pans into a disposal jug, and install the new filter.

Last filter change, my dad did it. I think I remember him mentioning and me seeing a round aluminum fitting that goes over the filter.

It would be part 13169 in that picture. I'm missing it. I'm also missing the 92022 washer.

I stuck my hand up into the hole where the oil filter goes to see if they were stuck or something. Didn't feel anything, and couldn't get a good angle to see it.

If I can't find it, I will have to order them and install them before I run my bike again. My dad's out of town right now so I can't ask him, but is it possible he actually DIDN'T install that fitting and I've been riding without it? Let me reiterate that even if the bike was running fine without it, I have no intentions of continuing that. But is it possible? To me, they look like they don't do much except to help keep the filter in place.

I definitely didn't see either of those parts come out when I removed the filter. So it wasn't a dumb mistake on my part (although my dad will blame me before himself regardless). It's highly unlikely for those parts to get lost in the engine right? I definitely didn't see any metal shavings in my oil.

Thanks. So frustrated. This is cutting into my riding time, and I just want to get back in the saddle!
HorizonXP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2010, 10:13 PM   #2
kkim

yes, buy the parts and install once you get them.

the way I see it, they form a tight seal against the top and bottom rubber gaskets of the filter element you replace and insure the only oil that gets inside that filter is cleaned oil that passes through the filter. w/o the parts you're missing, there is a chance of dirty/unfiltered oil getting back into the engine.

I wouldn't worry too much about it for now seeing as you just changed the oil and it's relatively clean. I would ride the bike until the parts come in and install them ASAP, once they do.

guess you'll be doing your next oil change early, eh?

...and before you ask, yes, change the oil and filter instead of reusing any of them. cheap insurance.

edit- did you buy your bike brand new or used? anyone else change the oil?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2010, 10:23 PM   #3
HorizonXP
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
yes, buy the parts and install once you get them.

the way I see it, they form a tight seal against the top and bottom rubber gaskets of the filter element you replace and insure the only oil that gets inside that filter is cleaned oil that passes through the filter. w/o the parts you're missing, there is a chance of dirty/unfiltered oil getting back into the engine.

I wouldn't worry too much about it for now seeing as you just changed the oil and it's relatively clean. I would ride the bike until the parts come in and install them ASAP, once they do.

guess you'll be doing your next oil change early, eh?

...and before you ask, yes, change the oil and filter instead of reusing any of them. cheap insurance.

edit- did you buy your bike brand new or used? anyone else change the oil?
Bought it used. We've changed the filter twice since we got it, so this is definitely our screwup.

I'm a cheapo, I will wait until I get the parts until I even bother throwing oil back in her. 3 more days out of the saddle, but so be it. :-(

Old August 28th, 2010, 10:23 PM   #4
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
As KKim stated those are must have parts.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2010, 10:28 PM   #5
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorizonXP View Post
Bought it used. We've changed the filter twice since we got it, so this is definitely our screwup.
maybe not... do you remember those parts being there the first time you guys did an oil change? perhaps the PO never reinstalled them.

Old August 28th, 2010, 10:33 PM   #6
HorizonXP
ninjette.org member

Quote:
maybe not... do you remember those parts being there the first time you guys did an oil change? perhaps the PO never reinstalled them.
Yeah, I remember the metal housing being there. Maybe not the washer. The PO didn't do his own changes, he had them done at a local mechanic.

Snake, the question wasn't really the necessity of these parts. It was more along the lines of, what harm could've been done to my motorcycle running without them for the last several thousand kilometers.

Dark, but clean oil seems to indicate that things are ok.

Old August 28th, 2010, 10:39 PM   #7
kkim

the washer is really easy to miss as it sometimes gets stuck to the filter you're removing.

the metal canister... not so easy to miss.

if it's only you or your dad that have worked on the bike since you bought it, it's got to be one of you two that misplaced it. if you're sure it wasn't you, guess who's left?

if he's helping you pay for the bike or supports you in some way, I wouldn't make a big issue of it, though.

Old August 28th, 2010, 10:43 PM   #8
HorizonXP
ninjette.org member

Quote:
the washer is really easy to miss as it sometimes gets stuck to the filter you're removing.

the metal canister... not so easy to miss.

if it's only you or your dad that have worked on the bike since you bought it, it's got to be one of you two that misplaced it. if you're sure it wasn't you, guess who's left?

if he's helping you pay for the bike or supports you in some way, I wouldn't make a big issue of it, though.
I paid for the bike with my own cash. But I live in his house. I will make a big issue of it though, because if it were me that misplaced it, I wouldn't hear the end of it. Anytime he makes a mistake, he gets away scott-free.

Family matters are outside of the scope of these boards though. Thanks guys. I'll double-check with him, but looks like I won't be riding until Wednesday.

Old August 28th, 2010, 10:47 PM   #9
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorizonXP View Post

Family matters are outside of the scope of these boards though.
no they're not... have you been to the OT forum lately!

Old August 28th, 2010, 11:05 PM   #10
HorizonXP
ninjette.org member

LOL no, not really!

My dad and I have an interesting relationship to say the least. He's very possessive and overbearing. Nevermind the fact that I'm an engineer, and currently in graduate school. Nevermind the fact that it's my bike and I know what I'm doing for the most part. No no, he has to do it himself and won't let me at all. He specifically told me not to change the oil because "I know you, you will make a mess."

Of course, I didn't listen, and this "mistake" will be blamed on me.

Whatever. I just want to ride again! And get my mom out of my hair about using her car to get to work.

Old August 28th, 2010, 11:28 PM   #11
kkim

fathers can be that way sometimes... ask me how I know.

start flapping... you sound like you're about ready to leave the nest.

Old August 28th, 2010, 11:47 PM   #12
HorizonXP
ninjette.org member

Quote:
fathers can be that way sometimes... ask me how I know.

start flapping... you sound like you're about ready to leave the nest.
Oh I already did when I was in undergraduate school and worked internships. I am definitely ready.

However, being in graduate school has limited me financially. I could do it, but honestly, the crap I put up with is worth the comfort of our house. That, and I live 5 mins away from my GF.

No, doesn't look like I'll be moving out until the GF and I are married. I can wait, but it can't come soon enough.

Old August 29th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #13
HorizonXP
ninjette.org member

I put the oil and filter in. Have yet to ride it, but should be fine. Going to throw on the fairings tomorrow morning before my commute. I couldn't stand not riding for another 2 days.

Anyway, my 12K service isn't quite finished, so I'll have to tear it down again this week anyway. I'll change the oil again at that time.