ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old June 17th, 2017, 12:01 PM   #1
Speedy3
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Speed Triple (Blazing Orange); 2010 Nina 250r (Race Project)

Could this cause a vac leak??

My bike has had a tough time starting and the throttle hangs like crazy after any blips. For a while I thought, "must be lean, better open up the mix screws". However, After getting to 3.5 turns out, I decided I didn't find the issue, so I'm going for an air leak.

I have the carbs out, gonna clean them while I'm at it. But I was inspecting all of the boots. Head boots look great. So do the airbox boots. However, upon inspection I noticed that the boots to the airbox have adhesive, and this adhesive is dead. I can spin the boots back and forth. Mr easily mind you, but I can.

Could this adhesive be the cause of the air leak, or should these boots work well enough regardless?

Pic attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0609.jpg (130.0 KB, 4 views)
Speedy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2017, 12:40 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
A small leak there would not cause a lean mixture, since it's not between the carbs and the engine. If it's a big leak there, it could let dirt into the engine, and if it's big enough, it could make a leaner mixture due to the easier air flow into the carbs, but it doesn't look like that leak would be big enough for either of those problems.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 17th, 2017, 09:45 PM   #3
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
its so easy to tell if there is a vacuum leak. get a bottle of brake cleaner, or soapy water, whatever - let the bike idle, and spray around the carbs from the motor to the airbox and see if anything changes.

I had this issue on a ninja 250 once. I mean, they are never really great with throttle response, but this particular bike was so slow to respond to throttle and when it did, the idle took forever to come back down. turns out it was a tiny missing o-ring in the air cut-off valve. worth looking into possibly...
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2017, 09:33 AM   #4
Speedy3
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Speed Triple (Blazing Orange); 2010 Nina 250r (Race Project)

I will have to do that. Naturally I pulled the carbs prior just to get at everything, but I will probably do that next if I keep encountering.

There the carbs nack in today tho. Replaced a couple hose clamps. Took a video of some revs. Idle set just above 1500 for reference.

Is it still hanging? I have little to no experience of what a good 250 revs like. Only have Speed Triples and the like in my past.

https://youtu.be/2dVXAEzIufA

Let me know what you think!

Old June 18th, 2017, 02:25 PM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
If I had my 250 outside now I'd run it to compare, but if mine behaved like yours in the video, I don't think I'd suspect a problem.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2017, 03:27 PM   #6
Speedy3
ninjette.org member

Fair enough! I'll invite more feedback if anyone comes across the thread, but I'll say the return to idle took twice as long prior to checking on the jets and the vac hoses, so at least some progress has been made!