ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 9th, 2017, 12:39 PM   #1
Timpo
ninjette.org member

Name: what

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Arrow Chinese brake rotors from eBay

Have you ever bought Chinese brake rotors from eBay?
How well do they work? Any reviews?

OEM ones are super expensive and even aftermarket brands like Galfer and EBC are still very expensive.

Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-rear-B...U2VtnA&vxp=mtr
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2017, 12:54 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Strange that it says the inner part is aluminum and the outer part is stainless steel, when it appears they're one piece rotors.
Triple Jim is online now   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2017, 02:59 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Check out the "similar threads" area at the bottom of the page here. Some info on these type of cheap rotors:

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=256916

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=174555

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2017, 02:50 PM   #4
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Stay away from them. I ordered two (thinking I would like to have a spare). Four showed up.

The first one warped in 1k miles. I replaced it with a second which also warped within 1k miles. I still have two un-used ones because I didn't want to install them and have them warp as quickly as the first two did.

I went with the EBC floating one from andy at cyclebrakes. That guy is on point and very knowledgeable. 818.995.0444

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 10th, 2017, 03:01 PM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Are they really warping, or are they pulsing due to a thickness variation resulting from non-uniform hardness around the disk? (softer areas wearing faster than hard areas)

Old June 10th, 2017, 09:50 PM   #6
Bob2010
ninjette.org sage

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 2009 Ninja 250

Warping and run-out

Does the same concept for automotive rotors apply to these thinner-metal motorcycle rotors?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.brake...tors-myth/amp/
Bob2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2017, 05:35 AM   #7
corksil

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Are they really warping, or are they pulsing due to a thickness variation resulting from non-uniform hardness around the disk? (softer areas wearing faster than hard areas)
When the front of the bike was lifted, and the wheel spun -- they wobbled from left to right of vertical axis. They would drag slightly, and then free spin for almost a full revolution, and then drag again.

Old June 13th, 2017, 08:50 PM   #8
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2010 View Post
Warping and run-out

Does the same concept for automotive rotors apply to these thinner-metal motorcycle rotors?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.brake...tors-myth/amp/
Yes, it applies to motorcycle rotors too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil
When the front of the bike was lifted, and the wheel spun -- they wobbled from left to right of vertical axis. They would drag slightly, and then free spin for almost a full revolution, and then drag again.
That's certainly lateral runout, which could be caused by actual warping of the rotors or something else that makes them wobble. Were they true initially?

Old June 14th, 2017, 08:40 AM   #9
Lazarus
ninjette.org member

Name: RJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RM...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought these off amazon (link is for front brake only but you can search for rear and it should pop up.)

Ive put about 3000miles on them since September 2016 (bought new pads to go with them, also off amazon) and I have to say I'm very impressed. After bedding them in I have had 0 problems. Actually just avoided getting run over yesterday due to these rotors and pads, worth every penny.

Edit: just saw they are currently unavailable....my bad
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2017, 09:38 AM   #10
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Though not 250....VFR front rotors OEM from Honda...ouch..$328 *each*
At 32,000 miles I replaced with "far east" wave rotor kit....$206 for front (2) and rear
At that time (2015) I also chose to "rebuild" the calipers (cleaning pistons and internals) and renew pads.

At 40K...8,000 miles on...no hits, no runs, no errors. Still in service, no issues, no complaints. I'll concur...I'm impressed, great value.

Last futzed with by ducatiman; June 16th, 2017 at 01:58 PM.
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2017, 10:33 AM   #11
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Don't lump all Chinese manufacturers into one pool! They make products to specifications and it's the U.S. importer that defines the specs. Many mass-produced auto-parts retail-stores will request the lowest specs possible to maximize profits and you end up with poor-quality parts.

It's like lumping all U.S. manufacturers into one group as well. There's an electric car-maker that's top-notch and a motorcycle-maker that leaks oil like mad. Can't look at this group and say that all U.S. made transportation is bad because they all leak oil!!!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2017, 11:10 AM   #12
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Good point. There's also a difference between buying directly from a Chinese manufacturer and buying from a reputable US dealer who buys from a Chinese manufacturer. With the reputable dealer, the manufacturer has a lot of motivation to supply good products, because they don't want to lose the substantial amount of sales, and the US dealer has a lot of motivation to do quality control to maintain his reputation.

Old June 14th, 2017, 02:17 PM   #13
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RM...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought these off amazon (link is for front brake only but you can search for rear and it should pop up.)

Ive put about 3000miles on them since September 2016 (bought new pads to go with them, also off amazon) and I have to say I'm very impressed. After bedding them in I have had 0 problems. Actually just avoided getting run over yesterday due to these rotors and pads, worth every penny.

Edit: just saw they are currently unavailable....my bad
There's a new page. They are available here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1UU738

Personally, I like abrasive semi-metallic pads like Galfer. I think they break-in a rotor better. With organic/ceramic pads, you have a lot of "filler" materials that melt and transfer to the rotor. This causes stuttering, shaking, uneven heating and eventual warpage.

Uh.. why are some of these sold in pairs?

Old June 14th, 2017, 04:07 PM   #14
Lazarus
ninjette.org member

Name: RJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

^^ good to know they are still available, not good to see the price is slightly higher...
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2017, 04:59 PM   #15
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
Don't lump all Chinese manufacturers into one pool! They make products to specifications and it's the U.S. importer that defines the specs. Many mass-produced auto-parts retail-stores will request the lowest specs possible to maximize profits and you end up with poor-quality parts.

It's like lumping all U.S. manufacturers into one group as well. There's an electric car-maker that's top-notch and a motorcycle-maker that leaks oil like mad. Can't look at this group and say that all U.S. made transportation is bad because they all leak oil!!!
I get what you're saying, but so much of this junk comes from our buddies out east (Japan and Taiwan make really good stuff in my experience, of course). Blanket statements like this are an effective way to make a purchasing decision, and not intended to hurt anyone's feelings.

I have a Thrunite flashlight. It's very well made. I love this flashlight. It's made in China. Sure, not everything made in china is junk, but if it's important to me not dying, like in the case of brake parts, I'll pay more money to have a better product.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2017, 07:47 PM   #16
DannoXYZ

How long does the factory front rotor lasts anyway? I've got 8k-miles of racing miles on my bike and it still looks brand-new after 3-sets of pads. Perhaps I should pick an extra up to put into the spares box?

Old June 16th, 2017, 12:55 PM   #17
vkuchhal
ninjette.org member

Name: vibhor

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r -2010

Even i was planning to post something similar for a feedback or review from aliexpress to know how good are they.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Moto...00014.6.bLhFdw

Any one tried things from aliexpress??
vkuchhal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2017, 01:21 PM   #18
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
^ Not familiar with your particular vendor...aliexpress

these were used on my VFR...superb value and with great success...vendor skywave-us.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-VFR800F-...UAAOSwWTRWz73f

Also using a "far east" rotor ...approx 1 year in service now...I replaced a front single disc EX500, cleaned caliper/pistons, new seals and pads and a stainless steel brake line..owner reports zero issues.....rock solid, hair trigger lever....
A badly gouged GSXR750 rear disc replaced last year...Suzuki $ was extreme...for under $75 the owner opted to replace... new pads, calipers and pistons cleaned too. .zero issues since.

My experience with "far east" rotors from various vendors, on various machines has been positive.

Take into consideration..these are streetbikes...not looking to outbrake the starting grid into turn 1 at Daytona. Agreed in that application, a top line name brand would be called for.
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2017, 03:46 PM   #19
Pig
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkuchhal View Post

Any one tried things from aliexpress??
Aliexpress is sort of like Amazon but Chinese based. It is run by the Alibaba Group, a company bigger (in gross merchandise volume) than Amazon & eBay combined.

So, your question reads: "Anyone tried things from eBay?"

It's not enough to just say: "Chinese crap!" It's all relevant.
Chinese manufacturers make HIGH-QUALITY products; the problem is weeding out the good from the bad. And that can only be done through ACTUAL experience.
Also, what might be good quality from one seller or even one manufacturer one day, might suddenly change in quality because of different sub-suppliers, change in materials or change in manufacturing processes, etc.

Overall, it is safer to source such important things as brake parts from a trusted source or better yet, from the OEM, IMHO.
Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2017, 01:21 PM   #20
DannoXYZ

On related note, China has surpassed the U.S. in GDP. So saying Chinese-made products is crap is like saying entire U.S. economy produces nothing of value. Some of us were around when similar things were said about Japanese products...

Old June 21st, 2017, 07:41 PM   #21
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
On related note, China has surpassed the U.S. in GDP. So saying Chinese-made products is crap is like saying entire U.S. economy produces nothing of value. Some of us were around when similar things were said about Japanese products...
Does this mean the fake Chinese X5 is better than an actual X5 since China's GDP is higher?

Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2017, 09:48 PM   #22
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
Does this mean the fake Chinese X5 is better than an actual X5 since China's GDP is higher?
You did not read and comprehend what I was saying. I'm commenting on others' remark of:
"All Chinese products are crap"
which is a black-and-white, all-or-nothing conclusion that's just as correct as saying:
"All US-made products are crap"
That has no bearing whatsoever on the Chinese X5 vs. original. It's not as good as the original, but it's not crap either. Think shades-of-grey... not black & white.

Old June 22nd, 2017, 09:34 AM   #23
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
You did not read and comprehend what I was saying. I'm commenting on others' remark of:
"All Chinese products are crap"
which is a black-and-white, all-or-nothing conclusion that's just as correct as saying:
"All US-made products are crap"
That has no bearing whatsoever on the Chinese X5 vs. original. It's not as good as the original, but it's not crap either. Think shades-of-grey... not black & white.
Quote:
On related note, China has surpassed the U.S. in GDP. So saying Chinese-made products is crap is like saying entire U.S. economy produces nothing of value.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2023, 07:54 AM   #24
SpotTheDogg
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 BMW F800GS, 2010 BMW G450X, 1989 Hawk GT, 1974 CB360, 1990 VTR250

My $0.02 on this old thread: Arashi make nice rotors and are available for a good price from China. Any Chinese floating wave rotors I have bought from China have served me well on the racetrack.
SpotTheDogg is offline   Reply With Quote