ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 30th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #1
fishnbarrel
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 250r 2012

Unhappy new bike with problems

Been lurking here for a while, but I have come across something with my 2012 250 that I would like to see if I can get some help with.

I am a new rider, and purchased a new 250 in December. With me just learning, and with breaking in the engine, I have been taking it easy on the bike. I ride whenever I can, but between work and the weather, it has not been much.

Last Saturday I went for a ride. The tank was 1/4 full, so I filled it at the beginning. About 20-30 minutes into it, it lost power. I pulled over, but it never completely died. I decided to limp it back home. While doing that, it suddenly got its power back. A few minutes later, it did the same thing. It was running fine by that time I got home. The next day, same thing, but it started after about an hour. I thought maybe I got some bad fuel.

Went home and searched on here. It gives the symptoms of a vacuum on the tank. The next day I tried riding it, and did not get out of the neighbor hood. I drained the gas and refilled from a different station. Same thing. Now it is worse. I tried opening the tank when it would lose power, but that did not help.

I ended up taking to the dealer. They just called and said there was some water in the oil, but it did not look like it was coolant. They could not find anything else wrong. I live on the gulf coast, and it has been warm and very humid (foggy) here when I was riding. I do not see how that could cause a power lose.

What do I need to check next? I feel like it is a fuel delivery problem. The bike now has 600 miles on it. I don't think I should be having these problems. I have never even taken on the interstate yet.
fishnbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 03:13 PM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Fuel delivery means you get to play with the carbs! Try some seafoam first though
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #3
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Have you checked your plugs?

Old January 30th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #4
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnbarrel View Post
Been lurking here for a while, but I have come across something with my 2012 250 that I would like to see if I can get some help with.

I am a new rider, and purchased a new 250 in December. With me just learning, and with breaking in the engine, I have been taking it easy on the bike. I ride whenever I can, but between work and the weather, it has not been much.

Last Saturday I went for a ride. The tank was 1/4 full, so I filled it at the beginning. About 20-30 minutes into it, it lost power. I pulled over, but it never completely died. I decided to limp it back home. While doing that, it suddenly got its power back. A few minutes later, it did the same thing. It was running fine by that time I got home. The next day, same thing, but it started after about an hour. I thought maybe I got some bad fuel.

Went home and searched on here. It gives the symptoms of a vacuum on the tank. The next day I tried riding it, and did not get out of the neighbor hood. I drained the gas and refilled from a different station. Same thing. Now it is worse. I tried opening the tank when it would lose power, but that did not help.

I ended up taking to the dealer. They just called and said there was some water in the oil, but it did not look like it was coolant
. They could not find anything else wrong. I live on the gulf coast, and it has been warm and very humid (foggy) here when I was riding. I do not see how that could cause a power lose.

What do I need to check next? I feel like it is a fuel delivery problem. The bike now has 600 miles on it. I don't think I should be having these problems. I have never even taken on the interstate yet.
Get a second opinion, that one is bogus.

Check plugs, vacuum hoses and battery.

Do these race bikes get vapor lock?

Old January 30th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #5
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

What was the longest period in between rides?
What was the fuel level?
How is the bike stored?

Humidity (fog) can make an engine run a little rich. Also, I read from a member, who also lives in NOLA, say that the humidity is so bad that it rarely drops below 60%. He maintains a fleet of training motorcycles. He says a lot of others "ALWAYS HAVE FUELING PROBLEMS", but he never does because he uses Seafoam in them regularly.

Since you you have some water in your oil, I imagine you probably had some water in your carbs as well, maybe even some crud if gas was left in them for a long period of time. I'd try some carb cleaner/ fuel stabilizer first and see if that works. I definitely recommend it if you don't ride the bike much. There's not too many reason for a brand new bike that is not even broke in good to have a major problem.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #6
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Sounds like it's time for a new R6.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #7
fishnbarrel
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 250r 2012

I really appreciate the responses. Just picked it up. I had them do the 600 mile service on it while it was in there.

They said there was water in the oil (didn't look like it to me) and they changed the plugs. They said they checked the compression. I haven't ridden it yet other than unloading it from my truck.

What was the longest period in between rides? Less than a week.

What was the fuel level? From full to 1/2 tank.

How is the bike stored? It is stored an a garage.

So I guess I will try the Seafoam. How often would you recommend using it?

Don't know if this makes a difference, but I use only conventional gas, and the only grade I can find around here is 91 octane. I have had problems with other engines using gas with ethanol.

If this didn't fix it, then yeah, I'm trading it in for an R6.
fishnbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #8
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

91 octane will not make a big difference in your bike, it will just burn slower than 87. The Ninja performs well on 87 octane, however I understand your concern about ethanol laden gas. I run ethanol free 87 octane in my bike as much as possible and it runs great. When I can't get e-free gas, I make sure I put Star Tron in it. As long as the bike does not sit for more than a month or so, your fuel and carbs should be OK.

I would also check to make sure that there is nothing blocking the snorkel and have a look inside of the airbox. Lastly make sure that your gas cap makes noise. If it is not whining or whistling, it's probably not venting properly and that can cause a fuel flow problem.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2013, 05:54 AM   #9
Zipster
ninjette.org member

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250 (Hers) 2010 Ninja 250 (His)

My wife's 2012 did the exact same thing. It has only happened twice. Died both times. Luckily I was on some back roads and could pull over. Got the bike restarted but never did find the cause. Both instances were in days of each other so I assume bad gas. That was many miles and many tanks ago. So......

Richard
Zipster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2013, 06:39 AM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Hold up.....

Only 600 miles, warranty? If your under warranty, keep taking it back to them or someone else that will honor the warranty.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.